Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 engine rattle

APL911

Hi all. I plan to spend some money on my 991.1 c2 Manual in March when I'm back from hols. (Off to Sri Lanka).

I find the 3.4 quite rattley. I've had it looked at by the dealer I bought it from and they said it's fine. But they did say they all rattle to some extent due to all the aux belts and drives etc. I've also had six of the valves/ switches replaced in the exhaust recently. To my ear the rattling seems to be getting worse?

My question is if I threw enough money at the problem could I get it to be rattle free?

The sound a car makes is really important to me. I spent countless hours adjusting the tappets on various engines when I was younger. New self adjusting followers and DFI injectors are very noisy I find....

Here is a short clip of the engine when warm:
https://youtu.be/Jt7jgCsAO8A

The rattling is much quieter when the engine is cold by the way. I'm assuming as it warms up things expand and belts get more playable and oil gets thinner.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

It sounds normal to me. But YouTube vids are notoriously bad for audio issues.

Its pretty normal .. i think the only thing i would check if it has a sports exhaust is that the vacuum valve rods are tight .. these can cause a rattle which is tinny in nature and similar to what your video sounds like .

There is nothing untoward there though .

Thanks Dermot

I have OCD when it comes to rattles and squeaks. Is there anything you think I can do to stop this? I'm debating fitting an aftermarket exhaust and putting the car in to someone like 9e to go thought it with a fine tooth comb and replace anything that is badly worn etc. :?:

APL911 said:
Thanks Dermot

I have OCD when it comes to rattles and squeaks. Is there anything you think I can do to stop this? I'm debating fitting an aftermarket exhaust and putting the car in to someone like 9e to go thought it with a fine tooth comb and replace anything that is badly worn etc. :?:
Had previous 911 cars, and got a GT3 last summer. It sounds like a load of spanners in a rusty bucket at tick-over, the roll cage creaks like a Spanish galleon, the diff clonks like a Massey Ferguson and the interior sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies. The car is visceral and alive and is trying to communicate. :lol:
All 911 cars do this to a greater or lesser extent, so yours is no different from the rest. Just drive it, enjoy it and keep grinning from ear-to-ear. :thumb:

APL911 said:
Thanks Dermot

Its difficult for me to say 100% .. the sound clip seems fine to me but without looking i can never be totally sure ..

My best guess atm is possibly the vacuum valves on the exhaust might be rattleing .. but they may well be totally normal .

Only way forward if your not happy is to have someone like me .. a mechanic put it on a ramp and check it over .. that way the mechanic can say its ok and thats normal or not .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back