Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996T: sensible exhaust and header options

Andyvvc

Nurburgring
Looks like the exhaust (and possibly one of the manifolds) on my 996T is now blowing quite badly. The car *actually* sounds like a tractor now (as opposed to the normal cold-start Mezger agricultural sound lol)

Worst case, i need new headers and an exhaust.

I don't want anything flash, nor am i aiming for any BHP gains or tuning.

A new OEM stock exhaust isn't an option due to price (unless someone has a second hand 996T OEM exhaust and headers for sale dirt dirt cheap?)

TopGear seem to do a £799 exhaust and £399 headers for the 996T as far as i can tell from their website. Does anyone have any experience of these? If i end up only needing headers is a new exhaust a no-brainer while the headers are off (to save double-costs on labour if the OEM exhaust starts to blow 6 months from now?)

I've already got the titanium bolt jobbies from PopPopBangBang for the headers :thumb:

I had considered the more pricey options from Milltek etc, but I'm not really too bothered by the noise or BHP gains - something close to stock for a good price will do me fine.

Is TopGear a worthwhile punt? I know a few folks on here have used their stuff before. Quality seems decent, especially for the price vs Miltek and other even more expensive options . . .

Ta!

Hi,

A quick search should throw up loads of info about TopGear, I've got the silencers and they're very good for the money.

I have a topgear on my turbo, it is well built and sounds good, so recomended from me :thumb:

Cheers guys.

Diverzeusy - did you need to go the re-map route after fitting the exhaust? I'm keen to just fit a close approximation of the OEM system to avoid any CEL light or need for a remap.

The TopGear system (£799) looks like it comes with 200 cel cats - i wasn't certain if that means i need to remap or if the ECU will adapt to the freer flowing exhaust with no issues?

Another +1 from me for Top Gear. Customer Service is excellent and a decent quality UK product.

Andyvvc said:
Cheers guys.

Diverzeusy - did you need to go the re-map route after fitting the exhaust? I'm keen to just fit a close approximation of the OEM system to avoid any CEL light or need for a remap.

The TopGear system (£799) looks like it comes with 200 cel cats - i wasn't certain if that means i need to remap or if the ECU will adapt to the freer flowing exhaust with no issues?
No remap, I just changed the exhaust, and all good.
I must add I went with the one where the cats are a separate piece as some appear welded and a permanent part of the system, which means you cannot easily change them.

Heat wrap

What is peoples opinion on heat wrap tape on the manifolds. I used it to great effect on my Caterham 7, keeping the heat from the close vicinity starter motor solenoid ( the Caterham click) and generally keeping the area cooler whilst allowing a quicker cat warm up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back