Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne Diesel S Buying Advice

Blakeyjersey

Hi folks,
I'm currently looking at buying a 2013 Cayenne Diesel S (29,000 miles)
As it's a 2013 it's pre-facelift.

What am i missing out on by not have a facelifted car? Was it purely cosmetic changes?

I live in Jersey, Channel Islands so only do a 4-5 mile commute each day and then twice a year get over to France for longer blasts. Total annual mileage is roughly 6k. Am i likely to get DPF issues?

Are there any other specific things i should be looking out for when buying a used Diesel S?

What are the known weak points/faults of the cars?

It seems pretty well specced but what would you guys view as 'must haves'?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, i had posted it in the Cayenne section.

I'd done a search but couldn't really find anything which covered what i was asking, although that could be more to do with the keywords i was searching for! Will try harder!

Blakeyjersey said:
I live in Jersey, Channel Islands so only do a 4-5 mile commute each day and then twice a year get over to France for longer blasts. Total annual mileage is roughly 6k. Am i likely to get DPF issues?

I would say yes as your driving profile suggests the DPF won't regenerate at all apart from when you're on the France gig.
The Cayenne itself is bulletproof the 3.0D engine does have a known oil leak problem but the V8 doesn't.

As you won't get any pther problems with these cars other than low miles diesel DPF etc it might be worth researching low miles v modern diesel. My guess is most/all will say don't buy a modern diesel with DPF for low miles travel.

Personally I'd go petrol or hybrid spec.

Thanks Zingari,
I was looking at RR Sports but the whole Land Rover range seem to suffer really badly from DPF regen issues but i hadn't seen much info about this on the Cayenne.
You can't go more than 200 metres over here without seeing some sort of Diesel Land Rover so obviously it's just something people put up with.
As you say, it's most likely a case that most info out there points against low miles in modern diesels.

There is also a 2012 GTS here within budget but it's Carmine Red and not sure that's for me.

So here's the spec of the car, going to look at it on Saturday :

21 inch Sport Design wheels with wheelarch extensions
7-inch colour touchscreen for the infotainment system
Sport pack
All-wheel drive
Air suspension system with self-level ride height
Auto hill-hold functions
Bi-xenon lights
Bluetooth connectivity
Carbon fibre interior trim
DAB Radio
DVD
Dimming mirrors
Heated or cooled seats
LED daytime running lights
Memory seats
Multi-function steering wheel
Multi-zone air conditioning
Navigation system
Paddle-shifters
Panoramic roof
Porsche traction management
Powered tailgate
Privacy glass
Roof rails
Sports tailpipes

Registered 19/02/14

Service History as follows :

31/7/15 @ 8908 miles
18/4/16 @ 17531 miles
09/7/18 @ 26694 miles

If i get the VIN will i be able to see every option the car had put on it?

It's got all the right extras and much like the one I had in 3.0D guise. As a motorway cruiser/mile muncher it was superb. Less so around town as they're big/wide!

I'm presuming 14-way seats? 18-way are THE best Porsche offer so a bonus if you have those.

The biggest gripe is the electric tailgate. Sure it opens fully on the key but you have to press the button on the tailgate to close it. Don't catch the button in your pocket otherwise you'll be walking back to the car (most likely in the rain) to close it :pc: I believe there is an aftermarket fix for c£100 but if you've got OPC warranty adding it will invalidate it.

To enable re-gen you have to drive over 40mph for 15 mins with a hot engine I believe. So if you can manage that every so often you might be OK

Zingari said:
To enable re-gen you have to drive over 40mph for 15 mins with a hot engine I believe. So if you can manage that every so often you might be OK

That would be a neat trick on this little island. After 5 minutes at 40mph you will either have crashed in to the slower traffic, been arrested, or be in the sea!
Mote trips to France needed i think.
Cheers
Rick

That would be a neat trick on this little island. After 5 minutes at 40mph you will either have crashed in to the slower traffic, been arrested, or be in the sea!
Mote trips to France needed i think.
Cheers
Rick

How do all the diesel drivers over here get away without seemingly having too many dpf issues?

When did you get rid of your C4S? Is it still local? Sold mine just over a year ago and it ended up in the UK after a rather unpleasant experience with a local garage.

Zingari said:
It's got all the right extras and much like the one I had in 3.0D guise. As a motorway cruiser/mile muncher it was superb. Less so around town as they're big/wide!

I'm presuming 14-way seats? 18-way are THE best Porsche offer so a bonus if you have those.

The biggest gripe is the electric tailgate. Sure it opens fully on the key but you have to press the button on the tailgate to close it. Don't catch the button in your pocket otherwise you'll be walking back to the car (most likely in the rain) to close it :pc: I believe there is an aftermarket fix for c£100 but if you've got OPC warranty adding it will invalidate it.

Thanks again Zingari,
Are the 18 way seats a different style or is it literally just the mechanisms to adjust them which is different to the 14 way?

I am not sure Blakey, but my VW Tiguan diesel needed a 900 quid decoke before Christmas. I have since driven to the Alps twice so hopefully all will be ok for a while. I have no 8dea how othets manage.

As to 'getting rid' of my c4s, i sold it well to a local guy, but i almost burst into tears when i watched him drive off in it! Hence my 997.2s! Which incidentally rarely sees daylight unless en route to france, as the local driving experience is as you know, a bit rubbish!!!
Cheers rick

segart said:
I am not sure Blakey, but my VW Tiguan diesel needed a 900 quid decoke before Christmas. I have since driven to the Alps twice so hopefully all will be ok for a while. I have no 8dea how othets manage.

As to 'getting rid' of my c4s, i sold it well to a local guy, but i almost burst into tears when i watched him drive off in it! Hence my 997.2s! Which incidentally rarely sees daylight unless en route to france, as the local driving experience is as you know, a bit rubbish!!!
Cheers rick

Yeh it's easy to justify a few trips to the mountains, it's not for pleasure, it's purely for the benefit of the car :D

Watching that 996 C4S rear end drive away from you sucks, even when it's out of sight and you think the pain's over you can still hear the Sports Exhaust just to compound the misery. Kinda glad mine ended up in the UK so i don't have to see it anymore.

The Diesel one is up at Le Cachet, think i might pop down to Beaumont at the weekend as they have the GTS in and perhaps that is the better option given it's petrol and therefore avoids the dpf issue.

You may well be right on that. Diesel is rapidly becoming like automotive leprosy. I have seen the gts at Beaumont. Yes it is in 'Look at Me' red, but it looks very neat, and they do get some very nice cars, many ex uk incidentally.
Did you manage to do a good deal on the c4s? Not blue by chance and advertised on JI at 20k from memory about a year or so ago?

...why on earth buy a stinker given budget and miles driven ? Literally makes no sense?

Petrol or Hybrid is surely the way to go these days?

segart said:
You may well be right on that. Diesel is rapidly becoming like automotive leprosy. I have seen the gts at Beaumont. Yes it is in 'Look at Me' red, but it looks very neat, and they do get some very nice cars, many ex uk incidentally.
Did you manage to do a good deal on the c4s? Not blue by chance and advertised on JI at 20k from memory about a year or so ago?

Yup it was the blue one, think I had it on Insight for £24k, it needed a few bits doing to it (mainly cosmetic). A garage advertised that they were on the look out for 911's so contacted them and they gave me a good price. Then about a month after the sale they got sh!tty with me, throwing all sorts of accusations at me and being really aggressive. Stood my ground though and apparently they ended up selling it to the UK at a loss to them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back