Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removal of sound deadening

Kettmark

Silverstone
As above. Is this a worthwhile undertaking to reduce weight and any idea how long it would take a competent mechanic to then refit carpets etc?

You might want to check out this thread ELA has done some inspiring things to take weight out of his car

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106137&highlight=adding+lightness

I don't know how long it would take but I did see a hint on car sos in which they used dry ice to crack the sound deadening of the body otherwise you will be there for an age scraping. Not sure easy dry ice is to get hold of though.

I have done it recently.

MC

I doubt you are going save much more weight than a good poo :D

There is not a lot of sound deadening material that is easily accessible on on a 997, Porsche only use small pieces of deadening on panels as that is really all that is needed to actually 'deaden' the panel, for example the outer skin of the doors have a piece that is only about 6" or so square which is sufficient to attenuate any vibration/ringing. There is much more weight to be saved by removing the sound absorbing material, but this is mostly an integral part of the moulded carpets.

DucatiRob said:
I doubt you are going save much more weight than a good poo :D

There is not a lot of sound deadening material that is easily accessible on on a 997, Porsche only use small pieces of deadening on panels as that is really all that is needed to actually 'deaden' the panel, for example the outer skin of the doors have a piece that is only about 6" or so square which is sufficient to attenuate any vibration/ringing. There is much more weight to be saved by removing the sound absorbing material, but this is mostly an integral part of the moulded carpets.

:agree:

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back