Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which should I buy ?

Carpenter100

Ok , I've been searching for a 996 for a while now and have narrowed it down to 2 cars with the view of purchasing one of them this week. Their both artic silver black interior, both in excellent order cosmetically for sure ,mechanically all looks ok !! Both have full service history. The first 1998 C2 3.4 has 133k on the clock and will sell for 11k , the second a 2002 c2 3.6 with 85k on the clock , asking price 16.5 k , which one do you guys think ??imonnn

I'd buy the 3.4 and bag the 5.5k for any upgrades or repairs. :thumb:

It's just the same risk as the other on 85k for me, that could go pop anytime as well, but you wouldn't ave the 5.5 k cushion.

Carpenter100 said:
Even though it's on 133 k ?
Im pretty sure Alex Yates cars us on similar mileage and was given a clean blll of health. All things being equal, id bank the extra cash and put it towards any repairs later on

132,953 at this exact moment in time :grin:

...at 133 k miles the engine internals will be very,very worn...out.

Not wanting to pee on your chips but I know of a 2006 997.1 3.6 manual for sale. £17750.

TIPEC members car.

OP - you have asked for opinions and advice on two cars that you may be interested in buying. You have questioned the wisdom, twice, when the higher mileage arctic example has been put forward as a possible contender. If you're so against it why even bother considering it?

I'm not totally against it or else I wouldn't be considering it , I'm considering the higher mileage one because it's considerably cheaper and posted on here for some thoughts from people that may have experience in owning these cars , as I don't yet ! . Trust me the more opinions I get makes the decision a bit easier to a Porsche Laman like myself .

I'd go for the newer 3.6 car and try to get the price down. I'd probably offer around £14k.
I prefer the headlights, it's newer and circa 50,000 miles less.

They're both at a mileage that could easily be in need of a rebuild very soon. 3.4 due to worn main bearings and 3.6 due to bore scoring. The main difference being the rebuild on the 3.4 for main bearings will be half the price of rebuilding the 3.6 for bore scoring.

I know which I'd choose if I had to pick one.

Carpenter100 said:
I'm not totally against it or else I wouldn't be considering it , I'm considering the higher mileage one because it's considerably cheaper and posted on here for some thoughts from people that may have experience in owning these cars , as I don't yet ! . Trust me the more opinions I get makes the decision a bit easier to a Porsche Laman like myself .

I'm assuming that the 133k car is the same one that you were asking advice about several weeks ago. Imo if you're still not certain it's probably time to put it behind you and move on.

I don't know what your budget is but you need to make sure you have a couple of £k in reserve for getting any 996 'up to scratch' for regular use. Don't blow your budget on buying the car as buying one is only the start of 911 ownership. You can't expect to 'jump in and drive' any 16+ year old car regardless of the badge on the front.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back