Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE on a Gen 1

Milo72

This may sound a stupid question, but how different is the tone between PSE on or off ?

I read in another thread what a great noise it is. I can hear a difference when it's on but it isn't huge and it got me wondering if it's axtually working properly.

The difference should be very noticeable... at least it is on mine. At low revs there's a deep burble with a noticeable pop on the over run compared to PSE off. Can't vouch for high regs as I always have PSE on and it howls!

I did think it should sound better than it does... I wonder if the valves (?) on the exhaust are sticking.

Fairly easy to check that actuators are working ok.
Other possibility is a vacuum leak I think.

Agreed there is rather a difference between on and off

My friend reported the same issue with his 996 C4S.
We found that the actuators and valves weren't moving fully.
One side freed up just with oil and gentle persuasion, the other side the ball joint on the end of the arm was seized and broke off. We drilled it out and made a new ball from a spare bolt by rounding the head off.

A vacuum leak is certainly another potential cause.

Turn it on all the time, isn't it taking a fuse out? mine is, but came like it, love it, makes an amazing sound, especially when parking :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back