Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3 scares in one day

k11pol

I took my gts out today for the first time in the rain and was really disappointed in how badly she handled. She spun out 3 times and once in the dual carriageway in a straight line she just lost it, I thought that was it as it floated from lane to lane before straightening up.

Should it be like this ? It's got Pirelli's on just now with about 4mm tread approx all round , would putting a set of Michelin 4s all round make a difference ?

It's going down to Glasgow to get PPF in a few weeks but I think I need to do something about the handling first as a few stone chips will be the least of my worries.

When did you last check your tyre pressures?

Sound like you hit standing water on the dual carriageway? Wide tyres and standing water never ends well, you need to adjust your driving style in bad condition in a 911 big rubber not a lot of weight pushing them down.

It's the first time in the rain ever? When you say it spun out, do you mean that you lost control of the car, or do you mean that the wheels spun up but still kept the car in a straight line.
Is it a 4GTS or GTS. The long and the short of it is that you should still be able to drive it as you would any car in the same conditions.id start with the tyres first and foremost. As Alex states, pressures are an easy check.
Keep in mind the temperatures are below summer tyre temp cut off of 7°C, I'd probably go a little more gently on the right foot you uncover the root cause of your woes.
Although Michelin are a tremendous tyre, I think you've got some homework ahead of you before you need to look at changing tyres

Cunno said:
Sound like you hit standing water on the dual carriageway? Wide tyres and standing water never ends well, you need to adjust your driving style in bad condition in a 911 big rubber not a lot of weight pushing them down.

:agree: and what was the local temperature?

The road was wet but not standing water as I'm aware to slow down when I can see water in front of me, I've had a 911 for the past 10 years so understand how they drive.

FZP - Yes as post states first time in rain , I bought it in October but not had it out much due to work. Maybe spun out is wrong term it pointed left n slid then right and slid back to left then straightened up. It's a Gts 2 wheel drive. The tyre pressures are as they should be so as you suggest I think I need to look into it a bit more in depth. It reminded me of a 3 series bmw I owned about 12 years ago, something's not right.

Sounds like there is something wrong somewhere! Tyre pressures would be the obvious thing, but if they are ok have a really good look at all the condition of all tyres all round! Shouldn't behave like that! I have Michelin PSS that are very good in the wet, not as good as the Potenzas I had before, but when they slide there is plenty feedback and easy to control!

I take it you're not relying on what the car says the pressures are. That is only there as a guide.

Could easily have been some diesel on the road or something. :dont know:

Never had any problems in the cold & wet with my 2wd GTS running on Pzeros. Mind you I'm at the opposite end of there UK to you so it doesn't get as cold. I suspect that might be the problem but check tyre pressures, mine tends to be quite sensitive to minor pressure fluctuations.

Have you got a NA or the new turbo-charged GTS? If the turbo perhaps the extra torque is causing the issue?

k11pol said:
The road was wet but not standing water as I'm aware to slow down when I can see water in front of me, I've had a 911 for the past 10 years so understand how they drive.

FZP - Yes as post states first time in rain , I bought it in October but not had it out much due to work. Maybe spun out is wrong term it pointed left n slid then right and slid back to left then straightened up. It's a Gts 2 wheel drive. The tyre pressures are as they should be so as you suggest I think I need to look into it a bit more in depth. It reminded me of a 3 series bmw I owned about 12 years ago, something's not right.

Good to know, For reference Michelin 4s are a great tyre in the wet and dry, the best all rounder I've used recently.

Alex - maybe that's the problem as I am going by the electronic tyre pressure reading.

Cameo - NA ,All the way,lol

Cunno - I've been planning on 4s anyway as had Michelin PS for over a decade on my 911 but thought I would get a few more miles out of the p zeros before changing.

k11pol said:
Cameo - NA ,All the way,lol

Good choice :D

I was concerned about two wheel drive and rear engine before I got mine (my first 911) but I've been really impressed with traction and handling in all conditions. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem. :thumb:

Porsche state the tyres are worn out at 3mm , in Germany i belive that 3mm is the legal limit .

You seems to be close to this .

Tread depth and tyre pressures will effect handleing .

All i can say as a biker .. i Adjust my way of riding in adverse conditions be that rain or snow as i dont slide .. i fall off .

Minimum tread depth in Germany is 1.6mm like the rest of Europe.

one more thing to consider how old are the tyres? there should be a code on the sidewall.

another Porsche rule is 6 years old and they are worn out no matter tread depth...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back