Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

alternator refurbishment

rich07

Hi guys, the fan belt went on my 94 993 so I decided to refurbish the shroud and fan at the same time, I've removed the unit from the car, separated the shroud, fan and alternator so just searching for a list on the forums of replaceable items for the alternator, there is nothing wrong with it but seems like a good ideal while it's out of the car....help please

the sun is making an appearance here in bournemouth so i'd like to get her back together asap.

thanks Rich

I only did the voltage regulator, brushes were well worn.

I did he voltage reg and the bearing (worth doing), if your alternator is giving good charge then I say don't bother digging any deeper.

Trev

I have my fan all apart at the moment for a refresh. I'm considering the RS single pulley conversion to make fan belt replacement easier in the future, the part is a similar cost to the standard bearing and housing.

I know that the alternator is turning a little slower, so less charge, but seeing as I don't use it in the winter when current draw is Max, I'm thinking it will be ok. Wondering if anyone has experience of these?

If this isn't a goer, I'm considering replacing the pulley bearing as not sure of its age. The housing for the bearing is in good condition, so think I should be able to press out the bearing from the housing and replace. The bearing and housing assembly are £100 ish, the bearing would be just a few pounds from my local supplier.

andyobro said:
If this isn't a goer, I'm considering replacing the pulley bearing as not sure of its age. The housing for the bearing is in good condition, so think I should be able to press out the bearing from the housing and replace. The bearing and housing assembly are £100 ish, the bearing would be just a few pounds from my local supplier.

In retrospect I should have looked at this :)

Trev

I've run with an RS pulley for a few years without any problems even in winter with short commutes. Recently changed to the Clewett sytem for no particular reason other than bling.

Attachments

• clewett_399.jpg
    clewett_399.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,738

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back