Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery

½cwt

Frost has killed the battery in my 986 S. Found the PO had fitted a standard not heavy duty. The label under the bonnet show the heavy duty battery option for the car. Out of curiosity is this standard on all S models, or all UK models or is there more to it than that?

The battery that has died is a 2 year old Bosch S4 72 Ah but unfortunately no paperwork to claim on the '4 year' warranty. I replaced with a Yuassa Type 110 85Ah which has a supposed 5 year warranty (great price from GSF who had a 60% off promo at just over £100). Had to move the clamp position across one hole as the Type 110 is bigger than a standard item.

AFAIK 096 type battery is standard fit on 996 986. 096 is the actually the most common battery fitted to cars in the UK. technically the 096 is a heavy duty battery, it's a bit of a loose industry term, not all 096 batteries are created equally, some have higher capacity and cranking amps, some as standard and some badged as heavy duty. The 110 as you found out is same dimensions but a bit longer than 096 so has more capacity and power as standard Vs most 096 type batteries.
I bought a 110 type a couple of weeks ago after killing mine through repeated stupidity, I picked up a 800cca 86ah 110 for £52 delivered from eBay

So looks like the 110 option isn't common from what you say? Just curious as to why it was spec'd on my car if the 096 is the default. The 096 option was about £10 cheaper but I figured I'd go with the car's factory spec.

Porsche have two options and the U.K. cars seem to all have the larger capacity battery. You've fitted something that's slightly above that and is also physically a bit larger.

I picked the spec off two different websites (ECP and GSF) to confirm the two battery specs, they actually list 100 (not 096) and the higher rated 110. The 110 does need the clamping plate moving out on hole further but that would be because for the extra cells to give the higher rating. The Yuasa is 85Ah so Bosch S5 and 800A cold crank, Bosch S4 110 is 72Ah 720 cold crank.

Be intrigued to know how many 986 owners out there have code 197 on the options label?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back