Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LN Engineering IMS 'UPGRADE'

Alex

Hi Alex
No doubt LN will point out the quantity sold versus quantity failed, it would be interesting to know if the percentage failure of retro fitted ims is similar to original ims failure!

bakerboy4s said:
Hi Alex
No doubt LN will point out the quantity sold versus quantity failed, it would be interesting to know if the percentage failure of retro fitted ims is similar to original ims failure!

An educated guess would say the failure rate of retro fits should be higher than factory due to the risk of damage during install. Will the bearing go in straight? what are you pressing against at the other end to get the bearing in? etc etc.

No need to replace a perfectly functioning bearing really. Inspect it for sure, but I wonder if bore score is more common nowadays than IMS bearing failure.

About 50%

wasz said:
bakerboy4s said:
Hi Alex

An educated guess would say the failure rate of retro fits should be higher than factory due to the risk of damage during install. Will the bearing go in straight? what are you pressing against at the other end to get the bearing in? etc etc.

No need to replace a perfectly functioning bearing really. Inspect it for sure, but I wonder if bore score is more common nowadays than IMS bearing failure.

I guess the general consensus now is inspect bearing, removal of seal and if a new bearing is required a strip down of the engine and replace the offending article is the way to go, but do you replace with a ball race, roller bearings or the non bearing LM version?
I'm not looking to open another long tirade of posts just a quick survey from the engineers among us.
Hopefully it'll be along time until I have to make the decision!

One of them there £30 washing machine bearings infrasilver fits in his.

LN Engineering were quite clear about their failure rate when we put one in a 996 some years ago. It wasn't a fit for life fix by any means.

Magic919 said:
LN Engineering were quite clear about their failure rate when we put one in a 996 some years ago. It wasn't a fit for life fix by any means.

They actually denied for years saying it was installation errors but then had to admit it was no better or worse than a standard bearing but only when the lawyer's came a knocking.

My own thinking is that the failure rate of original bearings was say 5%.

Over time, the % gets smaller on a Darwinian basis as the ones that were faulty have failed.

If you replace a perfectly good bearing that's survived this long you are increasing, not decreasing the chance of failure.

The only genuine improvement that I can see is the modded 997 bearing.

infrasilver said:
Magic919 said:

They actually denied for years saying it was installation errors but then had to admit it was no better or worse than a standard bearing but only when the lawyer's came a knocking.

Indeed - always been a 'snake oil' item.

Robertb said:

Over time, the % gets smaller on a Darwinian basis as the ones that were faulty have failed.

If you replace a perfectly good bearing that's survived this long you are increasing, not decreasing the chance of failure.

:thumbs:

This is one of those do i or dont i answer topics ..

You are all aware of what i do and What i do Here .

Garage checks said bearing and says there is no play and its fine .. customer wants it replaced , hes read the forums these things go bang and he wants a new one .

It doesnt matter how many times i tell him the bearing is fine he wants a new one .

Garages are here to provide a service , we advise the customer but if he wants a new bearing being which ever make we do what is asked of us .

Now and then we find a shagged bearing .. excessive play .. we give the customer the option , fit an aftermarket bearing at say £1200 or do the proper repair .. circa £6k .. its pretty obvious what they choose .. we can argue the benifits but if the customer cant afford it then its irrelevant .

i do know the ealy LN bearing problems were down to the fitting process which has now been modified .. well .. its been explained to me shall we say .

I Dont know if these are a long term fix .. none we have fitted have ever come back .. LN offeres a warrenty .. not sure if its good for anything as we have never had a problem ... is there a choice that customers can afford though .

At the end of the day .. if your bearing has play then something needs to be done and cost is the factor on what you have done .

Customers decides .

Forums are a mine of information but they also cause issues like this ,

My opinion anyways .

EDIT ... we dont fit very many per year .. perhaps 3

kas750 said:
Robertb said:

:thumbs:

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Infant Mortality. If this graph had a scale, the letter 'e' of Time would be around 100k miles

ht21_1.gif

The engineer in me still maintains this is (was) the wrong solution (type of bearing) for what is a low % issue.

I respect why professionals in the Porsche repair business may take a neutral view - particularly as it might affect customer perception and money through the door. The internet has some influence and lots of folk have next to no mechanical savvy (lot on here seem to have, thankfully).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back