Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996T project?

BChivs

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi,

I have been looking for a tidy 996T for some time now....the search took a bit of a back seat for while as we have just had a little boy.....the search now continues but the market is scarce.

Ideally I'd like a minter, but unless your willing to pay over the odds dealer prices it's a unicorn.
I viewed a car today that has potential, but not sure if too high risk....it's with a dealer on a sale or return. It's a good honest car but needs love. You can tell it hasn't been thrashed to within an inch of its life and has original paint and panels. The history is good with annual stamps from either Porsche or JZM 13 stamps in total.
It needs a service, clutch, brakes, tyres and probably a suspension refresh. A lot granted, but if cheap enough wondering if worth considering? My thoughts are if I bought it low enough with the intentions of putting £8-10k into it I'd have a well sorted 996T....trouble is you can spend a lot more on a car said to be mint and it will still want work. Better knowing it needs love and the price be right?

What do you think? Worth a punt or stay patient?

How are the turbos? If they are going to need overhauling or replacement that will be a big bill if you want to keep it nice, I talk from personal experience on this point!!
How's the mileage too?

Cars done 50k.....I can see a bill that all the Turbo actiators and heatsheilds have been done, and I'd like to think if going to JZM annually they would have picked up on any real worrying problems.....I wouldn't touch it without a PPI so I know fully what I am taking on.
The car is priced currently at £38k but that was on the grounds it would be serviced and a clutch fitted.....I was thinking as the car sits I wouldn't want to any much more than £35k..that way I could put 8-10k into it, it would owe me £45k and would be a pretty sorted car for money the car could be sold for.

Trouble is the market is slightly weaker and I have seen 996t prices drop a bit, but there are still dealers pushing the £50k mark for low milers.

kas750 said:
Decent cars start in the early 30's so work back from that.

Not for low mileage manuals....Tips probably. The cheapest manual sub 60k anywhere on the net are early pre facelifted cars still commanding £36-37k.

If i was looking for another turbo (I've had mine for over 12 years: it has evolved somewhat and I still love it), I would be looking more at the car's provenance than a few £000 here or there - they are a brilliant platform and in my view a real bargain.

Depends what you would like to do with it as they have so much potential and, (flamesuit on!!), I would look at the history, mileage, straight bodywork and then go from there...and I definitely would not be keeping it standard
:thumb:

BChivs said:
It needs a service, clutch, brakes, tyres and probably a suspension refresh. A lot granted, but if cheap enough wondering if worth considering?

Doesnt sound like it needs "a lot" to me, they are just consumables which any car would need. My local indi charges £1000 for new brake pads & discs fitted front & back, £1100 for a new clutch and £378 for a major service on a 996 turbo. A new set of tyres would be about £900, so we are looking at less than £3500 in total and you will be good to go for a long time. The suspension may well be perfectly fine, my cars got over 100k miles on it and when I had Centre Gravity check it out, the shocks etc were all perfectly fine. It just needed a couple of rear arms replacing and a geo done and that was it.

rabbitstew said:
BChivs said:
It needs a service, clutch, brakes, tyres and probably a suspension refresh. A lot granted, but if cheap enough wondering if worth considering?

Doesnt sound like it needs "a lot" to me, they are just consumables which any car would need. My local indi charges £1000 for new brake pads & discs fitted front & back, £1100 for a new clutch and £378 for a major service on a 996 turbo. A new set of tyres would be about £900, so we are looking at less than £3500 in total and you will be good to go for a long time. The suspension may well be perfectly fine, my cars got over 100k miles on it and when I had Centre Gravity check it out, the shocks etc were all perfectly fine. It just needed a couple of rear arms replacing and a geo done and that was it.

That's roughly the figures I have in my head.....It will need a bit of paintwork and paintless dent removal....Even if I did a full suspension rebuild I would be in it for circa £43k....It would maybe be a very sorted car for market value?

Absolutely the right way to go imo, better to have the work done yourself as you will be starting with a clean bill of health. 99% of 2nd hand cars for sale will need things doing no matter how good it says in the advert.

+ for center gravity regarding the suspension. My car has done 85k and is all original, thought it needed a complete refresh. Turned out everything was fine apart for a rear toe arm ball joint. Old tyres were causing the poor feel. New rubber and it drives like a new car.

HSC911 said:
I'd buy Kang's car in the classified or Ragpicker's :thumb:

He'll kill me for saying this but please DO NOT buy Ragpickers car - its too gorgeous!

Its one of THE best 996T's i've ever seen and goes like stink...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back