Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High pitch beeping + suspension question

OutofOffice

Hi,
Does anyone happen to know what might cause a high pitch rapid series of beeps when I start my car (but which stops after 2 or 3 seconds). I don't think it ever does it when the engine is warm, but it definitely does it from cold. It will be checked when it goes for its birthday service in a couple of months...

While I am at it, I got a double pasm/abs failure warning recently while out driving but then that went away so maybe I went through a puddle and cleaned the sensor :dont know:

Last, the more fun question: I now have cause to regularly travel a combination of roads that are quite bumpy in places and leave the front end feeling a bit skittish where it really shouldn't be. I have a 996 turbo on standard suspension (top mounts replaced a couple of years ago). Do I (a) get my suspension set up looked at (b) get some better and if so what or (c) just slow down or man up a bit :roll:

Cheers!

For heavens sake man don't slow down, you might as well buy a Kia and some string back driving gloves

By beeps do you mean actual warning beeps like a low oil pressure warning or a spurious engine noise that sounds like a beep?

[/quote] Last, the more fun question: I now have cause to regularly travel a combination of roads that are quite bumpy in places and leave the front end feeling a bit skittish where it really shouldn't be. I have a 996 turbo on standard suspension (top mounts replaced a couple of years ago). Do I (a) get my suspension set up looked at (b) get some better and if so what or (c) just slow down or man up a bit :roll:

Cheers![/quote]

Get it looked at. Do 4 wheel alignment first. After that consider the age of all of the components. Rubber has an effective working life of about 6 years after which it elasticity goes and it doesn't do what it is meant to do. Same for tyres.
Dampers have a life of about 40,000 miles.

If you're various bits are older than the reccomended life, it will negatively impact the handling.

As it's a turbo, it needs healthy components as the engines power is high and will not have deteriorated at the same rate and now there will potentially be an imbalance between power and handling.

I replaced all of my suspension components over the summer - Hartech rebuilt arms and links and Bilstein B6 dampers. Tyres are 12 months old. The improvement is sublime and the fresh arms made the biggest difference. I replaced them last

Hans Gruber said:
For heavens sake man don't slow down, you might as well buy a Kia and some string back driving gloves

Lol. Right you are, Sir.

By beeps do you mean actual warning beeps like a low oil pressure warning or a spurious engine noise that sounds like a beep?

It's definitely not an engine noise. It is coming from the cockpit somewhere. Unfortunately I don't know what the low oil pressure warning sounds like, but it's an alarm-type of noise that quickly stops.

Last, the more fun question: I now have cause to regularly travel a combination of roads that are quite bumpy in places and leave the front end feeling a bit skittish where it really shouldn't be. I have a 996 turbo on standard suspension (top mounts replaced a couple of years ago). Do I (a) get my suspension set up looked at (b) get some better and if so what or (c) just slow down or man up a bit :roll:

Cheers![/quote]

Get it looked at. Do 4 wheel alignment first. After that consider the age of all of the components. Rubber has an effective working life of about 6 years after which it elasticity goes and it doesn't do what it is meant to do. Same for tyres.
Dampers have a life of about 40,000 miles.

If you're various bits are older than the reccomended life, it will negatively impact the handling.

As it's a turbo, it needs healthy components as the engines power is high and will not have deteriorated at the same rate and now there will potentially be an imbalance between power and handling.

I replaced all of my suspension components over the summer - Hartech rebuilt arms and links and Bilstein B6 dampers. Tyres are 12 months old. The improvement is sublime and the fresh arms made the biggest difference. I replaced them last[/quote]

Thank you, that makes complete sense. I will get it looked at.

Last year I did a refresh on my whole front end which came in at well under £500 for all new components (apart from springs and shocks) and after a basic geometry alignment to factory settings, the car was totally transformed. I did all of the work myself to keep costs down but I would really recommend it - I thought the car drive well before but it just felt amazing. Dont underestimate the gradual deterioration of components - you dont notice it happening until you refresh it.

I'm going to do the rear this summer as well.

Stoo.c said:
Last year I did a refresh on my whole front end which came in at well under £500 for all new components (apart from springs and shocks) and after a basic geometry alignment to factory settings, the car was totally transformed. I did all of the work myself to keep costs down but I would really recommend it - I thought the car drive well before but it just felt amazing. Dont underestimate the gradual deterioration of components - you dont notice it happening until you refresh it.

I'm going to do the rear this summer as well.

Makes sense. Fair play to you. I wouldn't know where to start!

Beeping I suspect is a tracker, probably linked to PSM failure etc, think that's down to a battery issue too.
I'd get the battery tested and tracker either removed or battery on that changed too.

If you need it, checking centre gravity for suspension assessment and refurb.

Mine has an aftermarket tracker and it gives 3/4 beeps a few seconds after start up.

Worried me at the start but if you have a tracker and can identify it, google the instruction manual and see what it says.

Thanks - it does have a tracker. That is exactly what happens when I start it. I have the manual so will take a look...

Cheers for all the replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back