Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 14
997 : 2004- 75
996 : 1997-2005 38
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 10
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Fandangoisi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: 997.2 ECU tune Reply with quote

Does anyone have good, personal experience of any ECU tuners (preferably in Yorkshire) on 3.8s models?

I’ve had superchips do my bitdi Audi with success but I’m nervous.......

Any suggestions most welcome.

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Unicorn Dont know

Tom used him and has got good reviews Thumb

Chris_in_the_UK
Estoril

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that.

Not something I would contemplate TBH.

DucatiRob
Albert Park

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's generally accepted that there is not much more to come out of these engines, but a proper remap can eek out a little more oomph and alter the mapping to tune out the emissions fudges!

Wayne at Chipwizards has a very good reputation and was recommended to me by Hartech! I think he can do a live custom map on a dyno, so not just some charlatan that will do a 15 min ECU flash and charge you north of £500 for the pleasure!
Ducati 996

C2.1GTS.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always amazes me this.
Porsche would of spent fortunes to get the best all round map for the ECU.
Why oh why do people wish to mess with these cars in any shape or form. is beyond me.
If you want a faster Porsche, buy a faster Porsche.

DucatiRob
Albert Park

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C2.1GTS.2 wrote:
Always amazes me this.
Why oh why do people wish to mess with these cars in any shape or form. is beyond me.

Each to their own! It's not always about extra power, smoothing out the mapping to eliminate the artificial emissions settings on any engine can be a benefit, whether that's worth the cost is up to whoever is paying! Can also benefit when you have made mods to the exhaust or intake, which are popular on these cars.
Ducati 996

DucatiRob
Albert Park

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think Chipwizards have a website, just a facebook page, which tells you all you need to know about word of mouth and reputation!

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Chipwizards/
Ducati 996

Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C2.1GTS.2 wrote:
Always amazes me this.

All new cars have a factory map banged on them that will cover a multitude of sins. For example if Porsche release a 911 with say 450 hp, it must make 450 hp at 15,000 feet above sea level on crappy fuel. In other words- in a challenging environment.

A custom remap can totally transform your rev range in a good way. Fatter torque in the mid range (where you need it) and increased top end hp. A skilled tuner is worth his weight in gold imo.
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!
2018 Ducati Panigale V4S (Track)

love154

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C2.1GTS.2 wrote:
Always amazes me this.

now thats just what i was thinking

crash7
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]All new cars have a factory map banged on them that will cover a multitude of sins. For example if Porsche release a 911 with say 450 hp, it must make 450 hp at 15,000 feet above sea level on crappy fuel. In other words- in a challenging environment.

A custom remap can totally transform your rev range in a good way. Fatter torque in the mid range (where you need it) and increased top end hp. A skilled tuner is worth his weight in gold imo.[/quote]

This ^

Porsche build great cars, but they also build them to a budget and to suit all environments and emissions standards.

If there were no benefit at all in chip tuning cars, none of these companies would exist.

Whether the outlay justifies the gains is for the individual to decide.

Stating if you want a faster car buy a faster car is all fine and dandy if the have several thousands of pounds to invest, not to mention the time to deal with the agro of changing your car, versus spending a few hundred on a tune. - Not really apples for apples in my eyes.

Many also enjoy the journey of modifying a car, as oppose to buying vanilla, each to their own.

Wayne Schofield appears to have a very very good reputation among Porsche owners, from what I can see you will struggle to find a bad word said, he is however apparently notoriously difficult to get hold of!

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2p , Porsche will have compromised on the full potential for various reasons including having to comply with a world full of various emotions legislation plus restricting the potential of these cars so they can get max profit from the flag ship cars and their very expensive power kits. controlling air in , gas out and the ecu are very easy ways for them to restrict the full potential of these cars for all the given reasons . they have to pick a map that will give max economy as well .
So we all know that the stock ECU map is not the best that can be achieved
A good remapper will rework the ECU to your requirements, whether that is moving the power curve to give you more low-mid range ideal for a fast road car or maxing the car for track use.

I do get the argument that these cars are fast enough and well set up for most people, but there are those of us that enjoy tweaking and getting a bit more out of our cars and as I said there are decent wins by tailoring the map to make the car a more enjoyable road car. and if combined with other mods really can make a noticeable improvement.

I have my car at Hartech currently and Wayne from Chipwizards who is regarded as the best is very close to them ,so mine will be going to him for a remap after Hartech have rebuilt it. I have already discussed with him that max BHP is only bragging rights and my requirements are more about improving low-mid range and smoothing out the known flat spots that all these cars have.
Thumb Thumb Thumb

Magic919
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a waste of money on these NA cars. I can certainly see the gains on anything with forced induction.

HSC911
Long Beach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a Turbo Dont know

Grin

Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
My 2p , Porsche will have compromised on the full potential for various reasons including having to comply with a world full of various emotions legislation plus restricting the potential of these cars so they can get max profit from the flag ship cars and their very expensive power kits. controlling air in , gas out and the ecu are very easy ways for them to restrict the full potential of these cars for all the given reasons . they have to pick a map that will give max economy as well .
A good remapper will rework the ECU to your requirements, whether that is moving the power curve to give you more low-mid range ideal for a fast road car or maxing the car for track use.

I do get the argument that these cars are fast enough and well set up for most people, but there are those of us that enjoy tweaking and getting a bit more out of our cars and as I said there are decent wins by tailoring the map to make the car a more enjoyable road car. and if combined with other mods really can make a noticeable improvement.

I have my car at Hartech currently and Wayne from Chipwizards who is regarded as the best is very close to them ,so mine will be going to him for a remap after Hartech have rebuilt it. I have already discussed with him that max BHP is only bragging rights and my requirements are more about improving low-mid range and smoothing out the known flat spots that all these cars have.
Thumb Thumb Thumb

It'll be an absolute delight when you get that back. Bet you can't wait to feed in the gears on that fat torque wave, you'll love it thumbsup

Norfolk & Idea
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic919 wrote:
Probably a waste of money on these NA cars. I can certainly see the gains on anything with forced induction.

Nah, had loads of performance bikes (NA) custom mapped over the years and a good tuner will deliver a fantastic power curve. It's not all about peak power, it's about getting all the low down lumpiness dialed out and a nice fat midrange balance of power and torque. A skilled tuner/mapper will make a big difference Thumb

Pickse
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSC911 wrote:
Just buy a Turbo Dont know

Grin

Yeah that ^ And then get it tuned Devil
-----------------

bennyy
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic919 wrote:

Basically this, supercharged and turbocharged cars do well with a map. Can a N/A car be improved?
A little bit but not by much, I've done it in the past and wasn't impressed TBH.

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:

Thumb Thumb Thumb

It'll be an absolute delight when you get that back. Bet you can't wait to feed in the gears on that fat torque wave, you'll love it thumbsup

Grin Grin Thats what I am expecting mate. and the guys that think it brings nothing to a NA car , thats fine let them miss out Grin but a note to the OP you want a live remap and NOT a generic off the shelf £200 job as thats often what the guys that are disappointed have done ,. you get what you pay for like anything else. Thumb Thumb

bennyy
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Norfolk & Idea wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:

Thumb Thumb Thumb

Grin Grin Thats what I am expecting mate. and the guys that think it brings nothing to a NA car , thats fine let them miss out Grin but a note to the OP you want a live remap and NOT a generic off the shelf £200 job as thats often what the guys that are disappointed have done ,. you get what you pay for like anything else. Thumb Thumb

Spend ya money, don't forget to convince yourself it was worth it. live map or not.
It will make a difference but negligible.

toffeeman
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the map is mostly about improving the midrange does anybody actually know what sort of bhp increase you can expect to see on a standard 385bhp 997.2 C2S engine?

What about an engine with bolt on mods like exhaust/plenum chamber/etc?

I’m guessing you’d struggle to see 400bhp but it would be interesting to see if anybody has any real world figures.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: