Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ride Harshness, tyre Pressures and Suspension bush age

Ghianightmare

This isn't a eureka moment, but...

I found the ride on my C4S quite harsh. I found the threads related to a TSB to adjust tyre pressures and I dropped mine accordingly. The ride was greatly improved.

I replaced all off the suspension links in November and had the alignment done. The alignment Centre commented that they had to put a few pounds into each tyre. I explained why.

It was only today that I realized I hadn't had to adjust the tyre pressures back down. The ride - obviously due to the new rubber bushes - is supple at standard factory pressure and 12 month old PS2s

So for those that find the ride in their cars quite harsh, just consider the age of suspension bushes, as while they may not be making any noise or knocks, the younges 996 Bushes are now 14 years old and will have lost their elasticity. Dropping tyre pressures will only mask the real issue.

Just food for thought for those unhappy with a harsh ride.

:thumbs:
Sounds about right to me.

If your shocks are original try replacing those as well. My car had a harsh ride. I chased a number of things to improve it, but it was new shocks that made the ride compliant and took the edge off the 'crashiness' of the ride. They were OK to pass the MOT, but MOT does not test the full function of the shocks.

Ghianightmare said:
This isn't a eureka moment, but...

I found the ride on my C4S quite harsh. I found the threads related to a TSB to adjust tyre pressures and I dropped mine accordingly. The ride was greatly improved.

I replaced all off the suspension links in November and had the alignment done. The alignment Centre commented that they had to put a few pounds into each tyre. I explained why.

It was only today that I realized I hadn't had to adjust the tyre pressures back down. The ride - obviously due to the new rubber bushes - is supple at standard factory pressure and 12 month old PS2s

So for those that find the ride in their cars quite harsh, just consider the age of suspension bushes, as while they may not be making any noise or knocks, the younges 996 Bushes are now 14 years old and will have lost their elasticity. Dropping tyre pressures will only mask the real issue.

Just food for thought for those unhappy with a harsh ride.

:yeah:

The diagonal arms in particular made the the biggest difference on mine.

Bluebird911 said:
If your shocks are original try replacing those as well. My car had a harsh ride. I chased a number of things to improve it, but it was new shocks that made the ride compliant and took the edge off the 'crashiness' of the ride. They were OK to pass the MOT, but MOT does not test the full function of the shocks.

All 4 dampers and top mounts replaced a few months prior to replacing suspension arms. The biggest difference came when I replace all arms on all 4 corners.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back