Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Heater / fan not running

dt4

Its testing my patience lately lol
The control buttons indicate an increase / decrease in fan speed but no change in air being blown, I guess there is a fuse for the fan?
Are there other known issues to check for?
cheers

Im beginning to wonder just what actually works on your car :)

Sorry !

I would start by wiping out the fan , see if its partially seiezed.

Actually .. remove the pollen filter and see if you can get your hand inside or a screwdriver and flick the fan to see if it moves freely .

Fan first then move onto the electrics is the quickest route .

Can you put what car / year you have in your sig please .. it makes life easier for us when looking in depth .. ie fuses , relays etc :)

You have probably already mentioned it .. but i have a mind like sieve and answer each question on the fly :)

:lol:
We are just having a power struggle thats all and the car is showing whose boss
I won the battle with the drop links and exhaust hangers and clamps and now the car is flexing its brakes and fan muscles :nooo:

1999 C4
I thought I had added it to my signature, Ill try again

Excellent ..

C7 / D6 fuses .. there is a relay as per the diagram and a fan resistor .. this only tends to knock out a single speed .

Start with the fan being partially seized .

Am I right in thinking you can get to the fan from the top after removing the pollen filter?

deMort said:
I would start by wiping out the fan , see if its partially seiezed.

Actually .. remove the pollen filter and see if you can get your hand inside or a screwdriver and flick the fan to see if it moves freely .

:thumb:

Sorry, there was a clue there :)
I should have said where is the pollen filter, a bit of rooting around and i found it and span the fan
It didnt start up straight away as there wasnt anything coming from the vents, I got out of the car to see if was spinning and could see it was. I got back in the car and there was air being blown :dont know:
It sounds a bit noisey, not intrusively noisey but noisier than i recall

will see how it goes

on another note, the alternator packed up on Mrs dt4's Merc b class on the way to my mothers and everything shut down over the last couple of miles on the way to her house so we ended up pushing it into the local Shell garage and then abandoning it. I'll have to get my local mechanic to rescue it tomorrow and sort it out.

Your really not having a lot of luck atm :(

My feelings are your blower fan is on its way out so be prepaired to replace it .

Simple job though.

Theres not much you can do when an alternator packs up and you have to drive it.

All you can do is turn off any electrical load but if at night with headlights on then you have about 10 mins before it will die other than that it depends on the charge rate of the battery ( which will probably be low ) , alternators often give a a low charge before they finally die .

The heater motor is a standard Audi part, cheap from ECP and if you have a facelift car, it's easy to replace, not much more than removing the glove box.

I bought ECP's cheaper pattern part originally but they had a faulty batch so I changed it for the OEM Valeo part.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back