Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine condition on high mileage cars

Alex

I've just got my car back from my mechanic having various niggles sorted including a new variocam solenoid on bank 1. I specifically gave him a list of things I wanted sorting and checking whilst in there. Most importantly chain guide parts and cam condition/timing. Car's on 132k miles, doesn't use any oil (maybe 300ml over 12k, usually on a blast down to the French Riviera and back non stop) and filter always clean when serviced.

He reported back that the cams were like new, minimal wear on the guides/slipper, and cam timing was spot on (only checked bank 1).

As far as I'm aware, the engine has never had any work done on it (apart from me removing the outer seal on the IMS bearing, which was also like new).

I know there's other 3.4 996 engines that are in a needy rebuild before 100k, with the main culprit being the crank bearings.

So what's the script here? Are some cars ragged when cold, or poorly manufactured, or not serviced (oil) accordingly? Am I just lucky? Has mine had a rebuild I don't know about?

Something doesn't stack up. :dont know:

I'm in a position where I could afford a rebuild if need be and love my car that much it'd be straight over to Hartech for the works, but I'm a firm believer of 'if it ain't broke....'

Do I just keep on having fun in it?

Drive like you stole it until you broke it. :thumb:

Keep enjoying pal, seriously.

I have always been of the opinion that a full book of service stamps is no guarantee of anything, particularly with Porsche's. Folks hold this in high esteem, but the back story is how they are driven (proper warm up etc.).

The period where long service intervals were prevalent has also taken it's toll - a mate has a DAF Tractor Unit that has 500,000 miles on the clock - his simple view is he changes the oil and filters every month.

More is less? :rocker:

FZP said:
Drive like you stole it until you broke it. :thumb:

I've tried that for nearly 5 years and the best I could do was mash my diff!

20150417_131016_zpsuackv4o8.jpg

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Keep enjoying pal, seriously.

I have always been of the opinion that a full book of service stamps is no guarantee of anything, particularly with Porsche's. Folks hold this in high esteem, but the back story is how they are driven (proper warm up etc.).

The period where long service intervals were prevalent has also taken it's toll - a mate has a DAF Tractor Unit that has 500,000 miles on the clock - his simple view is he changes the oil and filters every month.

More is less? :rocker:

Wise words Sir. :thumb:

Similar position here Alex.

105000 miles engine has never been opened. Oil analysis is clear and it starts, runs and drives superbly, revs stable on idle, Ive done leaky plug tubes, minor RMS leak remains

I wonder whether worn engines are a combination of poor drivers causing over Revs especially in low gears down hills, poor manufacturing tolerances on some engines, the few percent of IMS that reveal before 70k, incorrect oil specs, track use when oil lowish??

I bought the car on the basis of popopbangbangs ownership thread. Exact same (base) spec as his car. All i can do is thrash it and love the fact that I'm in a millenium spec supercar for audi money.

Guy

Same here Alex just passed 125,000 miles uses no oil no rattles or noisy start up.
Just had all the wheel arch liners and trim off sprayed with dintrol no sign of any rust ether.
luck of the draw i guess.

Steve.

They must have put more effort into making cabs :grin:

94,000 miles on mine.It doesn't use any oil,its mechanically very quiet and doesn't even rattle on cold start even after being left for weeks on end. :dont know:

I wish there was a simple easy way of checking the crank bearings.

alex yates said:
I wish there was a simple easy way of checking the crank bearings.

You can if you fit an external oil pressure gauge.

Or get your oil sample diagnosed when you change the oil (every 6000m for me), I believe that an increase in the amount of Copper over time would indicate a probably increase in journal wear and time to consider an engine rebuild.
I think I've got that right (?) as it's why I get mine done every oil change as well as giving an indication of overall engine health along with oil consumption.

We better stop these happy thoughts or the 996 might get a good name🤘

steve1 said:
We better stop these happy thoughts or the 996 might get a good name🤘

Don't worry, the usual suspects will be along soon to remind us we're all doomed.

Anyway, as above, my understanding is that oil analysis is a reasonable guide to bearing wear etc. Cheap enough to give it a whirl...?
http://www.millersoils.co.uk/services/oil-analysis

If as an extreme example you changed your oil every 2 thousand miles then oil analysis probably wouldn't pick up any anomalies

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back