Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel additives ?

Hooner

Spa-Francorchamps
Does any use fuel additives to their tank for extra lubrication? now and then just wondering if it would help combat bore score. :?:

How would fuel additives lubricate what goes on under the piston rings where the damage occurs?

IMHO Wouldn't bother.

Save your pennies for the rebuild if you plan on keeping the car long term and you think its going to suffer from it... :thumb:

Well i was just reading about how todays fuel is a bit crap and full of ethanol just wondered if it might help. Not to worried about it really just a bit of banter.

I've found locally the Tesco 99 stuff is pretty good in both my 996 and the wifes 4x4 lumps. The Esso of the same grade makes both our cars blow fumes as it seems to suffer from quite a bit of water mixed in. My father-in-law does 25k+ miles per year and swears by the cheap diesel from Morrisons , but won't use anything other than 'proper' BP or Shell - he wont even stop at any other garages when travelling for his work.

Might be worth seeing what your local fuels are like at other garages? Consider the price of those additives and then put them into a savings jar. At a bottle a month your costs equal using 99+ RON fuel anyway which *should* give you almost all the same benefits. Oh and do oil changes every 6 months and post off a sample with your savings instead - much better for peave of mind!

These cars can adjust to different fuel octaine rateings .. an additive is not required .

Its called knock control .

For me .. im happy with how Porsche designed these cars , i think they do a very good job at addapting and i feel a third party solution to a non existent problem is not the best way forward :thumb:

IMHO .

Its still an excellent question though as im sure others have thought the same thing ... but perhaps never asked :)

Demort, have you ever used any of the carbon cleaning services? You know the type of thing that plugs into your fuel line and runs for an hour or whatever to clean the injectors. I've never used them but would consider it.
I had larger injectors in my last car (Impreza) and pulled them out again as we couldn't seem to get enough juice, so I sent them off for cleaning. Turns out they were very close to where they should have been (540cc odd from 565 when new) with very little variation between them.
I don't fancy pulling out the 996 injectors as I'm obviously not tuning it but a clean couldn't be a bad idea.
Surely hartech and the likes would be flowing injectors on a full rebuild?

deMort said:
These cars can adjust to different fuel octaine rateings .. an additive is not required .

Its called knock control .

For me .. im happy with how Porsche designed these cars , i think they do a very good job at addapting and i feel a third party solution to a non existent problem is not the best way forward :thumb:

IMHO .

Its still an excellent question though as im sure others have thought the same thing ... but perhaps never asked :)
well i learnt something new i didn't know they could self adjust :thumb:

You didn't know cars designed to run on super unleaded adjust the ignition timing when normal unleaded was put in, to avoid engine damage?

Fuel additives and the like are something i have used many times in the past but before i worked on Porsche.

Basically 15 years ago .. the cars then would have been at least 10 years old and normally older.

Engine flushes when doing an oil change .. a good idea to a point but i used some on an old Ford Granada i had .. yup it cleaned out all the crap .. but then it rattled its head off after that .

Never .. Ever use an engine flush on a Porsche .

Fuel additives did make a difference but more so on Diesels .

These days fuel is much better .. oil is much better so additives are imho not needed .. also the cars i used to work on were not quite as expensive or as well designed as these ones are .

Knock sensors on your car will detect incorrect combustion due to the fuel rateing and alter the timing accordingly.

Newer cars have more sensors .. 991 and there is a value for the fuel in the car when useing a tester ... i guess it works it out over time .

Carbon cleaning .. we have looked into it but have yet to find a system we think is any good .

996 and i dont really see the point .. 997 gen 2 or any dfi engine and they are going to be needed at some point ... again .. imho.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back