Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is this a record?

cliffbase

(Dont kick me out yet, its 997 relatedish)

As you know im looking to change cars, from my C4s (now sold) possibly for a cayenne.

I will keep the OPC dealer group nameless but here is how my day has gone today.

Dealer 1, not local to me, want to come & show me their car (3.0 V6 Derv), we arrange to meet at dealer 2 (same dealer group but local to me) at 2pm today.

Mid morning i get a call to say the guy may be late, it might be 2.30 or 3 at the latest but they will call to confirm.

No problem says i, dealer 2 have a V8 version i should like to try so perhaps you could arrange that whilst i wait? Err probably not, they wont like us calling them?????

OK so i call dealer 2 & tell them i am meeting their colleagues at 2ish & could i try their V8 whilst there to make a decision on which i want? Oh, comes the reply, you didnt come to us first? Sadly we have no V8's here to try, they are in prep.

I get to the dealer at 1.30, and there is a red V8 on the forecourt. Now....this must be the record - I waited at dealer 2 for 1.5 hours and no one - NO ONE approached me, no one spoke to me. I arrived in my C4s and was totally blanked for the duration of my time there. I genuinely might have bought the V8 had i enjoyed driving it.

Dealer 1 turned up at 3.20.

I am less than impressed with Porsche customer service.

Today, in grumpy pants mood, im looking at BMW X5 50's.

I think you will find they ignored you because you were not wearing salmon pink chinos and sandals with socks, pale blue shirt tucked so far in it makes the brown weave pattern belt on your chinos sit Simon Cowell style over your stomach. therefore you looked unlike their usual customer .

I suggest you address your wardrobe issue, carefully place a large turd under your nose and try again. :floor: :floor: :floor: I am confident that will do the trick you may even get offered a cup of coffee :grin: :grin: :thumb:

I might have expected that on a Monday morning (when they're all in sales meetings) or Friday afternoon (when they all ***** off), but Thursday? Were you dressed like a tramp or something?

This crap happens all the time. My old Dad walked into an Audi shop, started poking around in the big SUVs and such, and after a while, when no one approached him, he left in disgust. He was a returning customer (he used to run an A8 4.2 quattro). He bought a Land Rover instead and has been delighted with it. He might well have been dressed like a gardener come to think of it.

Now he just calls the salesmen 'order takers', as all they need to do is arrange a test drive, provide some bumpf for the wifey to coo over (and likely choose the colour) and sort the spec and delivery. The rest is on the internet. :dont know:

MaxA said:
I might have expected that on a Monday morning (when they're all in sales meetings) or Friday afternoon (when they all ***** off), but Thursday? Were you dressed like a tramp or something?

This crap happens all the time. My old Dad walked into an Audi shop, started poking around in the big SUVs and such, and after a while, when no one approached him, he left in disgust. He was a returning customer (he used to run an A8 4.2 quattro). He bought a Land Rover instead and has been delighted with it. He might well have been dressed like a gardener come to think of it.

Now he just calls the salesmen 'order takers', as all they need to do is arrange a test drive, provide some bumpf for the wifey to coo over (and likely choose the colour) and sort the spec and delivery. The rest is on the internet. :dont know:

I had the same years ago went into a BMW dealership to buy a new Beemer, was dress in my usual dressed down style walked up to the sales man who asked what I wanted , I said "I am interested in a BMW" the sales man replaced the turd under his nose and said "used cars are round the other side" I walked out drove to the Mercedes Dealer and brought a new 45k ish merc. that was 15 years ago and I have never stepped foot in the BMW dealership since.

Pretty shoddy treatment you've experienced there OP.

Personally, I wouldn't have been left waiting for anything like that amount of time as a potential customer without someone knowing I was there.

Hope you have more positive experiences whatever marque you decide to go with.

That's the salesmans eye as it's known in the trade. It gives them all the ability to spot a tyre-kicker from 50 yards (it has been known to fail from time to time)

My Dad has a friend who is very wealthy. He used to buy a new BMW every 1-2 years from the big Sytner dealership in Nottingham. He went in one day on his motorbike, full leathers etc. Got a damn good ignoring for 1/2 hour, followed by some bad attitude when he approached the salesman.

He left and bought a Merc instead, hasn't ever set foot back in a BMW showroom.

dealers don't care as they shift so many cars especially audi, bmw amd Mercedes. Porsche is going the same way sadly with more production units every year.

I always wonder if the dealers, salesmem and manufacturers frequent these forums, as they're completely open. Or do they all just trade on the fact that pissed off buyers often simply walk out from their competition?

Strikes me that they only want prearranged appointments with people who have already decided to buy a new car on crazy pcp finance deals with all the extras at stupid prices. Not surprising given how they appear to be paid though.

If the salespeople are not working the dealership floor, they ain't allowed to cold call given gdpr and they cannot sell the highly desirable cars to anyone as their dealership principles have decided who gets the cars based on how many undesirable cars they have bought, why are there so many salespeople in the dealership sat around looking at faceslap ? Efficiency waiting to happen ?

In fairness I have built a spec and options on another manufacturers configurator, submitted it to a dealer with a genuine interest and had zero contact at all ...not a limited car and not in short supply.....bonkers.

MaxA said:
I always wonder if the dealers, salesmem and manufacturers frequent these forums, as they're completely open. Or do they all just trade on the fact that pissed off buyers often simply walk out from their competition?

I know service guys that do, but the sales guys don't really care about the brand/enthusiasts from my experience...

G2 said:
MaxA said:

I know service guys that do, but the sales guys don't really care about the brand/enthusiasts from my experience...

I would agree with that view , I know all the service guys ,parts guys and most of the decent techs Oh and most important the meet and greet girls at my local OPC.
I have no idea and have never talked to any of the schoolboys in red,white and black jackets who roam around the showroom looking self important. :grin: :grin: :grin:

...it's an interesting uk phenomenon this; minimum wage types occupying floor space in premium environments ( dealerships,restaurants, clothes shops etc) adopting completely misplaced supersillious attitudes...

Wife and I have just returned from winter sun in a swanky hotel in jandia where the local staff were the antithesis of our uk oiks! Customer service in blighty is almost universally shite...

I spent ages about a year ago trying to persuade OPC to sell me a Cayenne, new or used V6 or V8 any colour, had cash or could do finance just wanted a Cayenne. I made several visits to OPC in my quest to acquire another Porker of practical proportions. I didn't even demand a test drive.
I was very keen even if it was to be a deisel I was undaunted! In the showroom they had a very nice used 2016 10,000 miler V8s which I nearly fell asleep in as the seats were really comfy, I was waiting quite some time for someone to notice a potential punter was checking out their £65k motor! Finally when I was acknowledged and a dialogue was entered into I decided It was a bit strong on price but they would not budge on price at all, no trade in, no finance needed but would have if that would have helped with doing a bit of a deal. They were really cagey about the new ones in diesel too which was confusing at the time but clear now.
Ended up buying over the phone a similar 2017 Cayenne with less miles (7,000) for £12k less in Kent. :dont know: Tonbridge dealer excellent btw
I'm happy with the V8 it's a great motor no regrets just would have preferred to buy it closer to home.
I know everyone has their off days in a business especially in retail but it does beggar belief though how the cloak of invisibility can strike when you walk into some of these places.

Did you you go up to reception and ask to speak to someone? :?:
First thing I do. Crack on. Time is short.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back