Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

North American Spec - bumper overriders ?

jonno_

I keep seeing pics of US/ Canadian 997s with rear bumper center overriders.
Clearly they are not quite the impact bumpers of old, in fact they look fantastically ugly to my eye, but I wondered why they have these extra bits and are they only on the rear bumper?
Other than looking shite, do they do anything?
If you live in North America, can you remove them?

Loads of guys on Rennlist remove them, the need the holes filling and painting. They are uglier than a hatfull of bum holes, I agree

I think they're strangely cool.

jonno_ said:
...I wondered why they have these extra bits and are they only on the rear bumper?

In 1972, the US Department of Transport (DOT) introduced low-speed bumper survival requirements (that have evolved over the years) mandating that impacts from 2½-mph to 5-mph (depending on the angle) don't break certain items like lights, fuel supply, etc.

Without those overriders, modern Porsche rear bumpers don't comply with those low-speed impact requirements. As FZP noted, a lot of people remove them for aesthetic reasons.

Having said that, other manufacturers meet the requirements without overriders. I wonder if the rear-engine position causes unique challenges for Porsche...

Thanks all.

What's in them? Rubber shocks?

FZP said:
They are uglier than a hatful of bum holes

I agree, and I'm going to use this expression at the next possible opportunity. If I may. :eek:

MaxA said:
FZP said:
They are uglier than a hatful of bum holes

I agree, and I'm going to use this expression at the next possible opportunity. If I may. :eek:
You may. Although for more impact and it's correct pronunciation, R Sole :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back