Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How fly can my flywheel be?

RXP.

Hey guys, girls.
Hope you are all well.

So i'm toying with the idea of a new trans set up. ( not planning any drag clothes).

Spoke with a few indies and consensus is looking good for a Lightweight Fly wheel set up.

So far have been quoted from cheapest which is the TTV, mid rage Aasco to priciest being the Carpgraphic.

Looking to pair this up with an upgraded clutch kit, possibly sprung?

and possibly a new fork to?

Anyone done this before or have any advise?

Best regards
Shah.

:popcorn:

i have my own views on doing away with a duel mass flywheel and fitting a light weight one but im no expert here so i would like to see the opinions of people with more experience of these before i say anything :)

deMort said:
:popcorn:

i have my own views on doing away with a duel mass flywheel and fitting a light weight one but im no expert here so i would like to see the opinions of people with more experience of these before i say anything :)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts bud.

Chris_in_the_UK said:

Hey Chris.

I did read that thread. It ultimately culminated in the OP not opting for the lwfw.

Member Harv has made some great posts which has allowed me to source the TTV wheel at a decent price.

TTV 540.
Aasco 630
Cargraphic over 1k.

However.. looking from the picture it seems that aasco make the cargraphic unit and brand it for them.

But that's just a hunch.

Yep agreed. There is definitely a case against the lwfw.

However on the flipside it's not as if the dmfw doesnt fail and take the crank with it.

Highlighted is ELA's thread.

So healthy discussion is what we are after.

So far both responses on this thread have been against.

:dont know:

Im not against as such .. im not a "mod " person .. i fit Porsche parts so have very little experience of this .. but i do know what ive seen over the years so i prefer to wait till the experienced people have their say :)

I will always warn against possible problems though reguardless of what people say .. its my job :D

Also bear in mind .. that post was a 996 .. not a 997 .

I think to be fair .. Ken at 9 Excillence would be a good person to chat to .. if anyone knows whats best then it would be him .

Ahh ok.

Does not fill me with great confidence bud lol.

My mantra was always. If u replace it. Do like for like or better. But in this instance I really am not sure if it's better. Especially as ur not exactly endorsing it either.

I spoke with both rpm and Parr motorsport, both practically convinced me to go for it.

I did try to call ne but they just have been busy. Will try again on Monday.

Thanks for all the input so far. Greatly appreciated.

As already mentioned the crank is not particularly well support so removing over 6kg from the end of it has to be a benefit, this was the view of Hartech & 9E when I spoke to them.

Lots of opinion and scare mongering out there, but not a great deal of fact from those that have actually fitted them.

In an ideal world you need to dynamically balance the flywheel with the crank, which means removing said crank from the engine, however others have fitted without doing this without issue, there are a few threads with first hand feedback, most of the scare mongering seems to come from the US and Rennlist.

I have decided to fit one, mine will be balanced to the crank as it's being done as part of an engine build.

You will also need a sprung clutch.

crash7 said:
As already mentioned the crank is not particularly well support so removing over 6kg from the end of it has to be a benefit, this was the view of Hartech & 9E when I spoke to them.

Lots of opinion and scare mongering out there, but not a great deal of fact from those that have actually fitted them.

In an ideal world you need to dynamically balance the flywheel with the crank, which means removing said crank from the engine, however others have fitted without doing this without issue, there are a few threads with first hand feedback, most of the scare mongering seems to come from the US and Rennlist.

I have decided to fit one, mine will be balanced to the crank as it's being done as part of an engine build.

You will also need a sprung clutch.

In that respect. You are in the best possible position as you can balance up everything perfectly.

Can I ask which fly wheel did you go for? Also was your spring clutch part of an upgrade kit, including plate and bearing? Which did you opt for? Organic?

Also have u opted to replace the fork too?

deMort said:
I think to be fair .. Ken at 9 Excillence would be a good person to chat to .. if anyone knows whats best then it would be him .

0e's website suggests they are happy to fit to any Mezger derivative.

9e fitted my LWFW to the 996 turbo BEAST and all good. well over 8000 miles and no issues....call Ken i woudl say

So I had a dream last night.

I was some kind of storage facility come secret govt building. Shiny white floors and white ceiling with bright led lights.

I was standing there alone and as far as I could see there were shelved filled with Dual Mass Fly Wheels. I started walking down this isle after some time I could see a sign hanging from the ceiling "Light weight fly wheels this way". So I started running towards the sign, but it wasnt getting any closer. Then the shelves filled with dmfw began closing in like some kind of Indian Jones scene.

Then I woke up in a cold sweat.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back