Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Modding a 993 for more focus

rc944

Most seem to go down the homage to RS route but are there other avenues to explore.

I'm wondering if its viable to spend say 40 on the car and then say 20 to get it modded to suit a fast road and occasional track day use

My issue is that my daily is putting out 300 plus bhp and 0-60 so whilst i am not looking for something terminally quick (the above being slow by todays standards) i want it to feel a bit more focused than a boggo 993 would

I anticipate directing the budget towards suspension upgrades and weight reduction but in a way that i could revert the car back to standard

im not sure ill get bang for buck in throwing money at the engine whereas i could make the car feel a bit more agile and focused by spending on the other areas?

As long as the base car is decent £20k sounds a great budget. Suspension, bit of an interior strip maybe with the RS carpets and door cards. Wayne remap (although I think he has probably done most of them out there!), maybe some buckets. Or leave the seats and put it towards a top end with different cams.
:thumbs:

What you put in you won't get back as most buyers (the sandal wearing type) want originality in a 993. Making a 993 to 'look like' something it isn't will usually result in you being black-balled by the Illuminati club members and a liberal dosing of tar and feathers if you persist. :what:

WB cars never get tinkered with outside of original stuff albeit the various attempts to mask the all moody blue interior (dash/wheel) that some have seems popular :nooo:

964 buyers have a different approach and a lot of C2 are modded for track/fast road use and they seem to have more appeal come re-sale.

There's only one 993 owner I know who drives his 'up to and beyond the limits' as a daily driver. Step forward HPNer :worship:

I see where you're coming from as I find the standard 993 a bit soft and more of a grand tourer than I would like. However, the 993's refinement is also a boon for longer journeys, so I'm not sure I would want to lose all of that either.

I don't think massive power is what air cooled 911's are about anyway. For me, it's about the tactility and responses underneath and around.

So, areas I would look at are:
- fast road suspension geometry (RS spec to improve handling. We can't achieve the camber with our standard top mounts though)
- front strut brace (sharpens initial turn in quite considerably)
- light weight flywheel (improved engine response)
- exhaust (sport cat and reduced silencing for better sound and a bit more power via the cat)
- lightweight forged alloy wheels (improves handling, rolling start and stopping)
- RS wheel carriers (reduces bump steer at RS ride height, although arguably not needed if you don't feel it)

These should come in well under £20k.

If you want to push the boat out, there's always the Motorsport aluminium bonnet and a lithium battery.

Also, as part of the geometry set up, try reducing the KT to 3.5 or even 3. The lower the number, the faster the car will turn into the corner. 3 seems to be the limit for most. The disadvantage will be reduced high speed stability ie more twitchiness if you saw away at the wheel.

im quite drawn to the drama and romance of doing it my way in my own time (and my young boys')!

rc944 said:
im quite drawn to the drama and romance of doing it my way in my own time (and my young boys')!

Good on you and my thoughts too.

My cars going a similar route, a little weight loss, full suspension refresh & drop, cats & exhaust, interior change, remap etc. Its end result will be a fast & fun road car.

Good luck with the project. :thumb:

C.

Bucket seats are an instead 10kg weight saving per seat, are easily installed and reversible and can be easily sold on.

They really key you into what the car is doing letting you concentrate on the drive. I've got GT3 seats which fit nicely.

It's so easy to get carried away and 20k can disappear quite quickly.
Apart from a Wayne rechip (potential 300bhp) I would leave the engine alone.
Lower, stiffer, lighter.
I would go for KW3 or PSS1O's, Rennline top mounts and don't go lower than RS +10 unless you get the RS front uprights.
Upgrade suspension bushes to ER hard and replace anything worn.
Strip the interior and fit a a pair of decent seats (Pole Position)
LWF (drops 0-60 dramatically) and RS short shift with Golden Rod is almost a must.
Std brakes are fine if in good condition.
Get Gert to do the RSR conversion on the silencers (it'll sound quicker) as will drilling a few holes in the air box.
You'll still have some change to get some decent track day tyres and a spare set of wheels.

Zingari said:
There's only one 993 owner I know who drives his 'up to and beyond the limits' as a daily driver. Step forward HPNer :worship:

After many years of trying to get my car to be agile and feel tight (as opposed to the sloppy thing it was when I bought it), its quite quick enough for UK roads (in Wales anyway) the following is some of the stuff I've placed on my daily driver,in no particular order;
Goldenrod
Shortshift kit
Ohlin's fully adjustable (prototype) Road & Track Coil-overs
Turret cross brace
Bloody thick front anti-roll bar
GT2 Evo 2 (unobtainium) rubber free steering components
RS engine mounts
Cargraphic RS/Cup exhausts (by Thomas Schnarr)
Light weight flywheel etc
MPL Clutch Slave
Wayne Re-map (showing 313bhp - but all smoke and mirrors IMHO)
Big Reds all round
All new electrical sensors, anti-knock sensors, dizzies and leads.
Removal of all PA and other after market Alarm crap (just original Porsche factory alarm) with Tore-B remote entry.
RS-Momo steering wheel.
Full Southbound interior refurb in Nappa.
Scuttle, sills, and chassis rails all sorted, new wings for good measure as slightly corroded.
Full bare metal respray in Riviera Blue
All maintained by the good Dr down at Devizes.
Plus other things I've probably forgotten!

It now drives like it should have, and probably a lot better than new. It handles remarkably well and is super compliant on its 17" Cup 2s, it flies to 6250 in each gear still maxes out at what it should and is a delight, over 110,000 miles and climbing weekly. Puts a smile on my face whatever the weather . . .

:thumb:

HPNer said:
Zingari said:

After many years of trying to get my car to be agile and feel tight (as opposed to the sloppy thing it was when I bought it), its quite quick enough for UK roads (in Wales anyway) the following is some of the stuff I've placed on my daily driver,in no particular order;
Goldenrod
Shortshift kit
Turret cross brace
RS engine mounts
MPL Clutch Slave
Big Reds all round
Removal of all PA and other after market Alarm crap (just original Porsche factory alarm) with Tore-B remote entry.
RS-Momo steering wheel.
Scuttle, sills, and chassis rails all sorted, new wings for good measure as slightly corroded.

It now drives like it should have, and probably a lot better than new. It handles remarkably well and is super compliant on its 17" Cup 2s, it flies to 6250 in each gear still maxes out at what it should and is a delight, over 110,000 miles and climbing weekly. Puts a smile on my face whatever the weather . . .

Why do you think the 313hp smoke and mirrors. Mine has a Ninemeister 3.8 and I'm really looking forward to seeing what she makes on the Maha dyno at Litchfield Motorsport in next few months :thumbs:

Slightly tongue in cheek perhaps in saying smoke and mirrors, but comparing dyno readings always seems to be a hiding to nothing. Mine has been on a number of different dyno's over the years, 300 bhp, pre-Wayne and 313 post Wayne. That does seem very strong for a non-VR engine.
Of course all these horses are only available at the very top-end of the rev range.On the non-VR the cams come in at around 4,000 so one gets a healthy dose of torque to 5500, and from there the power allows one to slice through the air to 165 mph or thereabouts
:thumb: :grin:

I'm going to agree with what nearly everyone above has said.

For what it's worth, the utterly Non-Illuminati view... In order of improvement to feel that I have experienced, this is what I recommend:

=1) Wayne remap. Much freer rev-ing.
=1) Suspension refresh @ CG. Honestly, I still cannot believe the change this has created - my car now feels awesome (and my license is in great jeopardy).
3) Lightweight wheels (try getting an Illuminati to agree with this one!). They have a fabulous impact on handling/feel via reduced un-sprung weight. You'll be a convert after your first corner. Easy to switch about if you want to go back to the stock anchors ;-) You won't.
4) Gert Carnewall "RSR" exhaust mod. I'm sure that there isn't any actual power gain, but by-heck does it sound like there is!

The other changes that improve the feel are a nice steering wheel (either refresh existing or change) and ditto gear knob. I think sound-deadening improves the ambience - others disagree.

HPNer said:
Zingari said:

Goldenrod
Shortshift kit
Turret cross brace
RS engine mounts
MPL Clutch Slave
Big Reds all round
RS-Momo steering wheel.

Awesome. Please share some pics!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back