Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First Start & PA 1000

Cameltoe & Heel

Chaps, I'm at that point now where I'd like to fire the old girl up for the first time in circa 3-4 yrs.

I have a brand new battery full of charge and connected her up, now my car has the PA1000 Alarm system so all fairly standard.

When I connected the battery, everything seemed normal enough, however the flashers are going, and keep going for about a minute or so. No big deal I'm guessing it's doing some sort of initialisation, however when I turn the key I get nothing, also the fuel pump is not priming (in cannot hear it).

I'm guessing the car has an immobiliser and this is preventing start-up?, I know my fob is dead and requires a new battery, which I will pickup today.

Any other pointers chaps?.

Appreciate any knowledge you can pass on re: this subject.

Cheers
Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Chaps, I'm at that point now where I'd like to fire the old girl up for the first time in circa 3-4 yrs.

I have a brand new battery full of charge and connected her up, now my car has the PA1000 Alarm system so all fairly standard.

When I connected the battery, everything seemed normal enough, however the flashers are going, and keep going for about a minute or so. No big deal I'm guessing it's doing some sort of initialisation, however when I turn the key I get nothing, also the fuel pump is not priming (in cannot hear it).

I'm guessing the car has an immobiliser and this is preventing start-up?, I know my fob is dead and requires a new battery, which I will pickup today.

Any other pointers chaps?.

Appreciate any knowledge you can pass on re: this subject.

Cheers
Trev

Certainly sounds like the key fob battery needs replacing, it won't start unless you press the button first, then you only have a certain amount of time to start the car before it resets.

Very important to remove the DME Relay and spin the engine over to build the oil pressure before you start the car.
Remove it, spin over for 10-15 secs a couple of times until the oil pressure builds, then replace it and start the car.
You may find that you have a tappet that is sticking after all this time (oil drains out as they are hydraulic), if so, then a short drive should re-charge it with oil.

Suggest some fresh oil and filters as soon as you can, as it will have degraded over that time.

Good luck, Nick

Thanks Nick that sounds perfect, yes the engine has had a thorough overhaul whilst out so everything should be spot on, but you never know as you say.

I'll grab a battery and see how I get on...

Trev

Hello.
Just read your post. A side issue;
I would check your alarm siren once you get things sorted. It sounds as if the alarm is being triggered because the keyfob is not unlocking the PA1000. In this case the alarm siren should sound along with the flashers going. It could be the siren back up battery is flat but it should still sound with a good charged car battery.
You don't want to have a duff siren on your alarm as it could cause Insurance issues.

Hope it fired up just fine. though if you have not tried as yet..
993`s are too new for me, but when firing up a engine that has been laid up or freshly rebuilt, I remove the sparkplugs, to lessen the strain on the battery and the starter while spinning it over to get the oil pressure up initially.

I note that it has been advised to remove the DME relay. I am unsure if that cuts fuel and/or sparks from being generated, but it seems wise to cut sparks when the plugs are out, as they then have no where to go and this can cause tracking in the dizzy cap or anywhere along the line of the HT leads, that can create a carbon track and which can cause issues at some time..

Of course stating the obvious, stray sparks do carry a fire risk also.

Hope it fires up just fine.

Thanks for the replies chaps, all is now well, I had an issue with the fob, a dry joint meant power wasn't getting to the main board so soldered in a jump wire and hey presto.

Otherwise I'm in business, I did have an issue with a locked alternator pulley (for an unknown reason), pulled it off at put it back on an all is perfect.

Ran her up at weekend, got her up to temp, she's ticking over nicely, I waited for the thermostat to kick in and could hear the oil gurgle into the cooler under the front wheel arch.

I'm really happy so far as it was the first time I'd heard it run :)

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back