Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery condition issue ?

emohawk11

Trainee
The last month or so the car has shown a couple of battery socket deactivation messages, and a battery low message. The car has been on the occasionally long run of a couple of 1-2hrs, with lots of very short runs in between. Car always cranks and starts ok though.

The battery voltage is reading 11.6V (with the engine switched OFF), which suggests the battery is poor? Do I need to look at a new AGM type battery replacement, and if so, should I get the Porsche one (I don't have extended warranty), or an Eduraline battery for example from Tanya batteries ?

Thanks

I'd probably try giving it a good charge. I tend to avoid Porsche batteries.

I presume you mean Tayna and I expect they are fine.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry yes I did mean Tayna.

I have a trickle charger that I could use on the battery to give it a full charge. Is there any other way I can check the condition of the battery to determine it's health ?

From the 991, the car has a BMS (battery management system) from what I understand. I expect the warnings it gives are valid. I have another make of car with this and the dealer said the battery was low and needed a charge overnight.

Places like Kwik Fit have testing equipment.

Just a thought, it might needed coding to the car. Would be worth checking.

I read somewhere the battery didn't need coding to the ECU, but others on here probably know far better than me :)

I would start by giving the battery a good charge with a trickle charger.

The voltage is low but it might just be the short journeys and a charge will get it back up to voltage .

Dont connect the charger direct to the battery terminal .. use the positive battery terminal and the post on the o/s.

You havent mentioned a flat battery and normally with a dead cell (knackered battery )you will get this.

You DO have to code a new battery onto a car .. although to be fair most things will work ok if you dont , you may well get stop start issues if you dont though.

You Dont have to fit a Porsche battery .. you just need to tell the car (via coding ) what type / size battery you are fitting .

Thanks for the coding info & battery terminal trickle charge connection point recomendation. What's the issue with connecting the trickle charger to the battery ? just curious.

I work in IT, but I've no idea what equipment or software (or cost) I'd need to code the battery to the ECU. Any ideas on that one ?

If you charge the battery on the terminals it by passes the battery management system .. in other words it doesnt know the state of charge in the battery .

Without this info it can treat the battery as a low charge .. it will try and give a higher alternator output to charge it more .. it can think the battery is a lower charge than it is so shut down things like stop start etc .

i dont know the basic testers that can do this im afraid .. i use Auto logic or Piwis .. the theroy is .. if halfords say they can change the battery then they should have the tester to code it .. you need to ask im afraid .

It can just be replaced .. but you may or may not have issues with certain items so codeing a new one on is the best way forward .

Indys will do this as part of replaceing a battery .. or at least they should do .. we do .

Ok thank you. Stop start hasn't activated in about ~3 months so no need to disable it manually!

emohawk11 said:
Ok thank you. Stop start hasn't activated in about ~3 months so no need to disable it manually!

Thats because the battery lvl is low .. it wont activate if the charge state is below 80%.

The Auto Start Stop function is not available in the
following situations, for example:
- When Sport mode is activated.
- When PSM is switched off.
- During manoeuvring.
- When AC MAX mode is activated.
- When the 'Windshield defrost" function is active.
- At elevations above approx. 9850 ft (3,000 meters).
- After engaging a gear without pressing the clutch pedal
when the engine is automatically stopped.

The Auto Start Stop function is available with limited
functionality in the following situations, for example:
- If the air conditioning or passenger compartment
heating is operated at a high setting or if the defrost
function is running for long periods of time.
- If the charge state of the battery is low...................... *******
- On uphill or downhill gradients.
- When vehicle internal test processes are taking place,
for example automatic engine diagnosis.
- In the case of excessively low exterior or battery
temperature.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc