Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How accurate is the 996.1 coolant temperature gauge?

MisterCorn

Not very......

It isn't even clear to me what the indicators on there are supposed to be. the 80 is clear, but I would have thought it was from left to right maybe:
40, 60, 80, 100, 120. But it seems not.

I'm now hatching a plan to change the scaling so that it reads better.

MC

Yes Terry, but it doesn't tell me what I wanted to know. This is part of a plan to convert my instruments to show either coolant or oil temperature. First part was to understand how the actual coolant temperature corresponded with sensor voltage, and what voltages are required to get the pointer to various places. Next stage is the oil temperature part.

MC

Why don't you fit a digital display where the gauge is?

Ive searched but have not found a graph of the ntc resistances at set temps im afraid ..

The only base line one i found for a 996 is approx 1K at 20 degrees.

Image below is all Porsche say on these sensors and its pretty generic.

What i can say .. i look at a tester for the temp value .. i see the gauge read 80 at about 75 .. i see the gauge read 80 at about 85 .. give or take.

My thinking is Porsche dont want owners worrying about small deviations in temp so they hold it at 80 on the gauge.

Obviously an Ntc is a set resistance at set temps so the gauge must be dampening for want of a better word the output on the temp gauge .

If you cant bypass this effect then you would need to use a seperate temp gauge .

We dont get taught this stuff so its just guess work on my behalf though .

Attachments

• sensor_1_169.jpg
    sensor_1_169.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 1,691
I don't want a digital gauge, I want the analogue one to accurately reflect the coolant temperature. Now that I know the parameters for the standard sensor I can do this, along with enabling it to switch to show oil temperature on demand.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back