Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2012 Cayenne diesel advice please

Nattyboy

I have an opportunity to
Buy my brother in laws owned since new 2012 diesel with 45000 on it which he will let me have for the trade in price. Very well soec'd too including air susoension and double glazing !

At the moment I run an old X3 and just wanted to get a feel for running costs/servicing and potential weaknesses as I don't want to spread myself too thinly !

Cheers
Nat

Sorry v6

Other than the risk of the oil leak on the transmission housing where it mates to the engine they're good cars, well buit and I easily got 30mpg. Interior was pure quality and they can motor!

There's a potential fix on the leak using locktite on the bolts but Porsche's answer is to take the engine out and seal it properly with a gasket they should have applied from new :roll: Without warranty that's 50-70hrs labour (special tools required and comes out from underneath with front suspension) and a £5k+ bill so OPC warranty can come in handy if its not happened yet.

The V6 diesel is underpowered imo.

Save your money and get a V8 diesel, then get it remapped. I did this to mine and it is now quicker than a petrol turbo and returns 30mpg on a sedate run!

Do change the transfer box fluid as this can deteriorate and cause clonking / jumping issues.

Air suspension and a panoramic sunroof are a must for resale!

Thanks guys 👍. What about service costs ? Guessing/hoping less than my spyder with similar intervals ?

Read about the oil leaks but I wonder how big a issue it really is as a percentage of production ? Bit like the IMS/RMS/bore scoring with the 997 .

Mines not a Turbo but I'll echo to a degree about the Transfer box... I've had mine 3 months and its been at the OPC since mid December awaiting for a new transfer box, its a known fault, jerking, jumping, clonking.....
I was advised against getting one with a Pano roof although i love them and have one in my daily Merc due to them having major issues leading to having to replace the whole sunroof cassette mechanism and costing £££

As with anything, you check the internet forums prior to buying and majot scary storied always pop up from people like me. I guess the issues only happen to a small number of vehicles from any brand...

Dealers charge insane amounts for parts such as Brakes/Pads/Sensors etc which can be sourced from Autodoc at a fraction of the cost.
If it's the same engine as the V6 Touareg then you'll get about 32mpg avg or 36 on a motorway run.

Nattyboy said:
Thanks guys 👍. What about service costs ? Guessing/hoping less than my spyder with similar intervals ?

Read about the oil leaks but I wonder how big a issue it really is as a percentage of production ? Bit like the IMS/RMS/bore scoring with the 997 .

I think mine was c£500 for major service.

Ref the oil leak you might not know about it unless you go looking as I'm convinced Porsche turn a 'blind eye' to it knowing it's a fault invoking warranty or (if lucky) some good will gesture if it's leaking enough to point out to an owner :nooo: A chap reports on PH his issue Here and the feedback I got from a respected Porsche independent dealer a few years back when he visited OPC there was always at least on Cayenne in service with its engine out. Buy the warranty, highlight the issue if there (given it passes the 111-point) and get it fixed. Peace of mind.

The oil leak issue is more prevalent in the US as a lot of owners appear to be doing their own oil changes more frequently without affecting their warranty.

The oil leak .. it can happen .. its not been a major issue here as in every other car suffers from it .

It was caused by a " mistake " at the factory .. a machine out of tollerence is the offical line .

Basically a metal surface deep in the engine should have had sealent put both sides of a bolt hole .. it didnt there by allowing oil to reach the bolt threads and work its way down .. an oil leak .

The officaial fix .. a full engine strip .. this part is at the center of the engine .. which is kinda like a sandwich .. many layers ..

Indys have a different fix .. one i came up with when i was actually at an OPC and saw this ..

My thoughts were .. stuff that i aint doing that job .. ill remove the bolt .. its huge .. ill clean it , smear silicone sealent over it and refit it .

It works fine .. we have done several so far .. ok about 5 .. but its worked every time ... at an indy i hasen to add .. OPC fix is an engine strip .

Just out of interest does this engine leak fault affect the Touareg? My cars just gone out of warranty and was considering either renewing the warranty (£700) or selling it.
The only thing that lets the Touareg down is the dealer!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back