Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VW Corrado to 911 ownership

QUIKSTER

Hi All,

Recently joined the forum as I plan to become 911 owner in 2019, however still undecided on a manual 996 C4S or 997 gen 1 C4S

Please note that whatever I purchase it will be a longer term keeper/lifer as dont think I would get bored of the power or the looks.

Came across this post as i'm kinda in the same position as the OP, I have a budget of £30k, possibly £35k if I sell my current toy "Pic Attached".

I've noticed that in the £30k to £35k bracket there a number of options:

1: Low mileage, low owner 996 C4S £30k
2: High miler 996 C4S £20k + £10k on Hartech rebuild
3: High miler 997 Gen 1 C4S for £22k + £10k on Hartech rebuild
4: Go with a base 997 Gen 2 with 60k for £34k

With options 1 to 3, would want to make sure all the other items, brakes, exhaust, condensors, suspension components, coolant hoses had been refreshed at some point.

One thing I don't hear much about is how strong the manual gearboxes are on these cars and what mileage they can go up to before rebuilds, and whats the cost of these rebuilds?

Someone did post up somewhere that a Hartech rebuilt 997.1 C4S would be the best value, most reliable and ideal long term keeper, but how would this compare to Option 4 above.

Attachments

• sherry_pearl_corrado_1_892.jpg
    sherry_pearl_corrado_1_892.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 2,916
Re: High or Low Mileage

QUIKSTER said:
Hi All,

Recently joined the forum as I plan to become 911 owner in 2019, however still undecided on a manual 996 C4S or 997 gen 1 C4S

Please note that whatever I purchase it will be a longer term keeper/lifer as dont think I would get bored of the power or the looks.

Came across this post as i'm kinda in the same position as the OP, I have a budget of £30k, possibly £35k if I sell my current toy "Pic Attached".

With options 1 to 3, would want to make sure all the other items, brakes, exhaust, condensors, suspension components, coolant hoses had been refreshed at some point.

One thing I don't hear much about is how strong the manual gearboxes are on these cars and what mileage they can go up to before rebuilds, and whats the cost of these rebuilds?

Someone did post up somewhere that a Hartech rebuilt 997.1 C4S would be the best value, most reliable and ideal long term keeper, but how would this compare to Option 4 above.

I had the same dilemma about 12 months ago. I remember it well. The advice on here is invaluable and helped me make a much more informed decision. I started debating 996 carrera 2, or carrera 4. Both low mileage and lovely condition. Then got sucked in to the wide body C4S and was convinced I would buy one of those. Six months later I bought a 997.1 C2S for a sensible price, spent a few grand getting it how I wanted it and love it to bits. It hasnt had a rebuild and treated properly hopefully wont need to for a while but if it does then hey-ho.

Listen to the experts on here they know their stuff, and then decide based on what you learn but don't let any of it it put you off. I have seen quite a few people talk about it and then find a reason not to buy one which is a tragedy.

I will never forget the first day I went for a proper blast in mine when I had done the wheels and brakes and it had finally stopped raining. There is nothing else like it to put a smile on your face.

Good luck choosing its a nice dilemma to have and at the end of the day they are all 911's :D

High or low mileage

Base Gen 2, does seem like one of the better options, but then reading Ollys recent thread I guess even Gen 2's can go pop.

The other plus point of the Hartech rebuilt engine is that once done, you would know that you have ran it in properly with the correct timely oil changes, as with any other cars you just don't know how owner No:1 has looked after it in with those first initial 100, 1K miles which could come back and bite owner No:5 in the ass.

Also I'm assuming an engine rebuild done before any potential bore scoring damage is cheaper than one that's already faulty. More the reason do get it done as a precautionary measure if within the £30-35k budget.

Some examples I've seen on Autotrader which could make good rebuild donor cars.

Porsche 911 3.8 997 Carrera 4S AWD 2dr
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811012040824

Porsche 911 3.6 996 Carrera 4S AWD 2dr
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808289916933

Re: High or Low Mileage

QUIKSTER said:

:welcome: to 911uk.

Well done on joining in here before buying a 911. :thumb:

Regarding your options above.

My 2p =

1. Don't spend that sort of money on a 996 unless you're intending to keep it low mileage. As soon as you put miles on it it'll plummet in value and at the end of the day low mileage doesn't mean it won't get the potential 'issues' associated with that engine.

2 and 3 are good options if you can get the car at a bargain price to start with AND do end up keeping it for a long time. NB We all say we will when we get our first 911 but it rarely works out that way. :D My third 'keeper' is for sale.

4. If it was to be my first 911 this would be my choice.

Happy Hunting - whatever you decide.

Option 4; it's what I did so obviously it's the one I would recommend. But as someone said, it's a nice dilemma to have. One day when all new vehicles are self-driving electric cars we'll look back and say "what a time to be alive that was."

QUIKSTER - I was in a similar dilemma myself. I've had lots of Golfs, last one was a 2015 R DSG, also a Corrado G60 that i had for a few years and had shipped out to Australia when i moved there in 2005 (i'm back in the UK now).

Is yours a VR6?

I kept reading about the 997.1 issues and was put off, also, although only subtle changes, the 997.2 looks that bit better to me, especially after looking at ads etc for months. Once i'd decided on a Gen 2, i was looking at the S as they seemed to have better specs, i had limited my search to >60,000 miles also, so was looking at cars anywhere between £34K to £40K.

Within a day of selling my Golf R, a Gen 2 popped up, a 3.6, but with a big spec which seemed to have my name on it. Sports Chassis/SPASM (LSD and 20mm lower than standard), Manual with Factory SSK, PCCB's, Adaptive Sports Seats, Carbon Pack, Chrono Package Plus, Black Centred Sport Design 19's with MPSS', Factory Wheel Spacers, PSE with a H&S bypass, Yellow Seat Belts, no sunroof or rear wiper which i much preferred .. and in White which was my first colour choice! :eek: 80,000 miles and also a private sale - meant it was less ££ than others. I had it checked by an OPC, then collected it the week after. I paid well below what i had budgeted for, so the extra ££ can go towards maintaining it, mileage - would of been nice if it was lower but at the end of the day, like yourself, i'm seeing it as a keeper.

Don't disregard the 3.6 Carrera, look for one with a good spec. The power is more than enough for me coming from a Golf R, you wouldn't be disappointed

8)

High or low mileage

@arthouse , Yep its a 1995 VR6, I also had a Tornado Red Corrado G60 10yrs ago, only really looking to sell the VR6 as I'm losing my storage and parts are becoming difficult to get hold, then theirs the worry of when the dreaded rust will make an appearance.

Before considering a Porsche I was looking at 2017 BMW 440i Coupes, lovely engine but after a test drive its just felt really big, think I've always preferred the smaller coupe style of car.

After reading all the comments I think options 3 and 4 are looking more favorable, but theirs a different feeling of rebuilding a 997.1 back from scratch to you own spec, and if at 80k+ miles 80% of all the other usual wear and tear items have changed by previous owners, then even better.

arthouse said:
QUIKSTER - I was in a similar dilemma myself. I've had lots of Golfs, last one was a 2015 R DSG, also a Corrado G60 that i had for a few years and had shipped out to Australia when i moved there in 2005 (i'm back in the UK now).

Carpoid, I assume?

There's a few old Corrado Forum members on here that I've seen, obviously most rado owners hankered after a 911! I was Walesy on there.

I can remember your lovely black G60 very well, seeing pics of it in the sunshine in Oz always made me really jealous, I was shocked when you sold it having gone through the rigmarole of getting it out there. Do you know if it's still on the road out there?

Robert SausageTrousers said:
There's a few old Corrado Forum members on here that I've seen, obviously most rado owners hankered after a 911! I was Walesy on there.

I can remember your lovely black G60 very well, seeing pics of it in the sunshine in Oz always made me really jealous, I was shocked when you sold it having gone through the rigmarole of getting it out there. Do you know if it's still on the road out there?

No way! Sent a PM :thumb:

Good wheel choice btw QUIKSTER, i had RS' on mine, 16's and later on 17's. Feeling nostalgic so i managed to log into my old photo bucket account! Mine as featured in Australian VW Mag, was pretty rare over there, 1 of around 5 to 10 in Aus

Attachments

• screen_shot_2018_12_23_at_24853_pm_530.png
    screen_shot_2018_12_23_at_24853_pm_530.png
    235.7 KB · Views: 2,535

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back