Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

M2 competition

edge

Nurburgring
Anyone got one? I am very tempted. I recently bought a new M140i shadow edition as I wanted a small rear wheel drive car that had a bit of power but I honestly didn't reckon on liking it as much as I do. I am toying with the idea of just owning a single car but I only want to spend around 60k thus the interest in the M2 , any thoughts would be welcomed.

I haven't had a Comp M2 but had and LCI M2 and didn't rate it much with the DCT gearbox having a manual 997C4S and a manual E92 V8 M3. If your M140i has the 8 speed ZF gearbox it is better than the M2 DCT by a long way.

If you're going manual then non of this is an issue. On the plus side, the M2 handles superbly, is practical, has presence on the road and the Competition car has many of the M features the earlier cars lacked - seats, mirrors, engine.

If you want one, bar the price premium over the M140i and the fact that the M140i can be made to handle as well and tuned to give as much or more power than the M2 it will be a great car.

I've got a standard M2 as my daily runner and I absolutely love it .Ideal size M3/M4's are a bit big now days they are very old school /analogue feeling cars.
I had an E46 m3 for a few years and my M2 reminds me of that .

I run a standard pre-LCI manual M2 as well as my daily, and I love it loads. I know the other non-M 'M' models can be made faster and to handle good as / better than, but I'm shallow enough to admit one of the main reasons I bought the M2 was the looks :grin: The flared arches look great and it has that whole angry puppy thing going on looks-wise. I always look back at the car after parking up, it looks perfect to me, not something I'd say about the slimmer standard bodied models. The mini-muscle car vibe continues with the engine and exhaust sound, and the gearing is just right for perky acceleration in any gear. I tried the DCT initially and found that incredibly dull hence going for the manual instead. I bought it in the summer just before the Competition was launched, and I thought about holding off for the newer car, but didn't think the Competition would be x ££thousand better. Based on the reviews I've seen I'm happy with my decision. The S55 car is probably 'better', but the N55 car is probably 90/95% of that car for less money which suits me fine. Only thing I'm not happy about is the brakes - they're fine for road but all the reviews I've seen say they're pants for track, so will probably upgrade pads if I ever decide to track this car. Also I've had an E30 320i coupe and E46 325i coupe in the past, and this car definitely shares DNA with its ancestors, all cars I have fond memories of :thumb:

Endex said:
I haven't had a Comp M2 but had and LCI M2 and didn't rate it much with the DCT gearbox having a manual 997C4S and a manual E92 V8 M3. If your M140i has the 8 speed ZF gearbox it is better than the M2 DCT by a long way.

If you're going manual then non of this is an issue. On the plus side, the M2 handles superbly, is practical, has presence on the road and the Competition car has many of the M features the earlier cars lacked - seats, mirrors, engine.

If you want one, bar the price premium over the M140i and the fact that the M140i can be made to handle as well and tuned to give as much or more power than the M2 it will be a great car.

I have the ZF auto box on my M140i and in fact every BMW I have owned has been an auto not sure if they were all ZF boxes though but I always thought the were a good match to the Diesel engines that were fitted to them .
Never owned an M car only M line cars so what transmission I should spec is a big question for me. All my Porsche cars except the Turbo were Manual gearboxes with the Turbo being PDK .

With the M2 I am reading most people are buying the car with the DCT over the Manual transmission but I need to do more research on both before I make a decision , it was very easy with the M140i as I was able to test drive both Manual and Auto cars but that won't be possible with the M2. I suppose I was a bit disappointed with the Manual equipped M140i if I'm honest nowhere near as nice as the Porsche gearbox plus the engine RPM 's seemed to be higher at motorway speeds as opposed to the Auto box which was a peach.

Ian Perry said:
I've got a standard M2 as my daily runner and I absolutely love it .Ideal size M3/M4's are a bit big now days they are very old school /analogue feeling cars.
I had an E46 m3 for a few years and my M2 reminds me of that .

The size of the car is just about right for me as is the price. :D

Roro said:
I run a standard pre-LCI manual M2 as well as my daily, and I love it loads. I know the other non-M 'M' models can be made faster and to handle good as / better than, but I'm shallow enough to admit one of the main reasons I bought the M2 was the looks :grin: The flared arches look great and it has that whole angry puppy thing going on looks-wise. I always look back at the car after parking up, it looks perfect to me, not something I'd say about the slimmer standard bodied models. The mini-muscle car vibe continues with the engine and exhaust sound, and the gearing is just right for perky acceleration in any gear. I tried the DCT initially and found that incredibly dull hence going for the manual instead. I bought it in the summer just before the Competition was launched, and I thought about holding off for the newer car, but didn't think the Competition would be x ££thousand better. Based on the reviews I've seen I'm happy with my decision. The S55 car is probably 'better', but the N55 car is probably 90/95% of that car for less money which suits me fine. Only thing I'm not happy about is the brakes - they're fine for road but all the reviews I've seen say they're pants for track, so will probably upgrade pads if I ever decide to track this car. Also I've had an E30 320i coupe and E46 325i coupe in the past, and this car definitely shares DNA with its ancestors, all cars I have fond memories of :thumb:

It was the original M2 that first drew my eye , poroper little muscle car . I don't think I will have much luck getting a test drive to compare the Transmissions as my dealer tells me they are special order.

edge said:
With the M2 I am reading most people are buying the car with the DCT over the Manual transmission but I need to do more research on both before I make a decision , it was very easy with the M140i as I was able to test drive both Manual and Auto cars but that won't be possible with the M2. I suppose I was a bit disappointed with the Manual equipped M140i if I'm honest nowhere near as nice as the Porsche gearbox plus the engine RPM 's seemed to be higher at motorway speeds as opposed to the Auto box which was a peach.

The gear change on my M2 is nowhere near as good as the gear change on my GT3, it's rubbery and woolly in comparison, but good by normal car standards. To me, it was much more preferable to the DCT which just didn't suit the character of the car. Likewise with the steering, bit woolly compared to my GT3 but fine by normal car standards. The M2 isn't an out and out sports car, but rather a very good fast road hot rod / muscle car

What do you plan to use the car for? Are you thinking of replacing the 140 and 997 T with the M2/C? It'll be an improvement on the 140 but you'll probably miss the Turbo

Roro said:
edge said:

The gear change on my M2 is nowhere near as good as the gear change on my GT3, it's rubbery and woolly in comparison, but good by normal car standards. To me, it was much more preferable to the DCT which just didn't suit the character of the car. Likewise with the steering, bit woolly compared to my GT3 but fine by normal car standards. The M2 isn't an out and out sports car, but rather a very good fast road hot rod / muscle car

What do you plan to use the car for? Are you thinking of replacing the 140 and 997 T with the M2/C? It'll be an improvement on the 140 but you'll probably miss the Turbo

I think I will hold onto the 997t for a while as I do enjoy the car but I want to try out some fast rear wheel drive saloon cars thus the interest in the M2. The plan is to own just one car , a small high performance saloon car and if I find that then the Turbo will go.

I had an M2 comp ordered for last November but cancelled it. Couldn't face the depreciation curve and for me personally I think it's a bit 'junior" looking but I'm getting on a bit :) So as much as I liked the idea of it when it first got announced i decided not to.

I have an M135i ( not massively different to m140i) as a daily, auto is superb, suits the car very well. Drove the manual and thought it was a pants shift, that and my elbow hit the arm rest each time changing from 1-2, most annoying. I do miss a clutch pedal massively but not for that car. It's a stealth car and is rapid with very quick rack does but lacks some steering feel being a bit over assisted at slower speeds, all improves as you

Also have an e92 M3 with the DCT (ring toy track prepped car but was also my daily for 18 months ) and in that application is also a superb transmission IMHO. For old ish tech it shifts very quickly and can slam the cogs home quite aggressively. The real benefit of the self shifters in these contexts is the gearing match to the way the engines deliver the power. To me that's more critical to the success or failure of a car being a great drive.either the drive train gels or it don't.

As an aside, I learned something new about my M2 yesterday. After making a turn coming out of a roundabout I accelerated only to find a sudden loss of power and 'LIM" light appear on the dash. So hazards on, pulled over, turned the car off, restarted, then light went out and all was fine and I drove off

When I got home and googled 'LIM" i discovered that I must have accidentally hit the speed limiter button on the steering wheel (... which I never even noticed before was there...) :grin:

A mate had an E92 M3 with DCT too and he used to rave about it. I guess it comes down to how you use the car and the character of the car, I couldn't live with it in an M2, I felt it made the car drive like a 5 series estate. The manual is very good on the commute, it's got the auto revs thing that raises the revs when you let the clutch out, so stop start traffic is manageable with moving clutch only

Ok I think I may calm down a bit here and take time to consider what I really want but I may as well try and explain what my thoughts are based around.
3 years ago I had a few heart attacks which eventually ended up in me having a triple bypass. During my recovery there was a problem with my blood pressure ,it was very high all the time and during the tests that they did they found that both my carotid arteries were blocked, one of them 100% so they decided to operate on that one as that was causing various issues . Anyway after that was completed and during follow up scans they discovered a tumour at the front of my brain which was attached to the pituitary gland and this was causing the high blood pressure. So here I go again more surgery to remove as much as they could which coupled with the drugs has improved the blood pressure and I started to feel well again. I was advised to pack up work and basically enjoy life while I can so I sold my house and moved to Devon to a much smaller place but was mortgage free . I don't know what's around the corner so I started indulging myself without taking into account of the fact that I am not earning anymore and should probably be more responsible. So that's my thinking around getting a single car that can fit into my little garage and at the same time free up some cash for other things. So I am not thinking ***** through really but I blame that on the remaining tumour. :)

Well Mr Edge that certainly is some context...sounds like you've had a tough time of it . Hope you're feeling relatively better :thumb:

Can't honestly see buying an M2 comp as a freeing up cash exercise as it's 50k ish and will do 10k year one in depreciation, plus you will take a massive bath on the M140i at the same time. The 1 series is a cracking all rounder and I know dealers were doing some great deals on them as it's essentially the run out of the RWD 1 series . This and the turbo is a nice 'stable".

Enjoy the 140, it's a modern car and will cope without living in a garage, get your money's worth out of it and if you need some cash later on flog the turbo. IMHO of course 8)

Yes that certainly puts things into perspective! Like Senoj says, you already have a great setup with a 911 and a small BMW, same as me in fact. I use my GT3 when I want to drive for the sake of it, and the M2 for everything else

Agree with senoj on the cash points too, values of M2's and M2C's will only go south for a long time to come. Another reason I went for a used M2 was to minimise the depreciation hit, but intention is to keep the car for a while anyway and get as much value out of it as possible

It should be easier finding manual and DCT M2's for a back to back comparison drive than to find M2 Competitions. Maybe give that a shot to give you an idea of how the different transmissions will be in the Competitions. A used M2 might make a lot more sense over a brand new Competition, had a look on Autotrader and you can pick one up for low 30k's. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do, keep us posted :)

Thanks guys, some good advice. So I think I will stay as I am for now and perhaps modify the M140i with an exhaust and some engine tuning as I understand the B58 will easily handle an extra 50bhp . I think I get overly worried about the future and go into a "better get that car you like " while you can mode which is stupid really because both the cars I have are bloody nice and don't owe me a thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back