Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Rear lettering - are they losing the plot?

911TEL

I can't help thinking that ever since I saw the 991 Carrera 4 Targa GTS rear lettering that all the latest cars are way over identified ......

Apart from the difficult task it is to read it in the passing , my OCD brings me out in a cold sweat thinking how hard it must be to wash the rear without bending or ripping off a letter in the line up!
Let alone post out the bits of lambs wool left behind after a careful caressing , sorry I meant washing !
It's not only the above example though ...it's almost all of the models ...

The latest script on the 992 just tops it all ...just look at the script in the page header on here for the 911 Carrera S .....

I am really in the frame of mind that 'less is more' in this respect , although I'm not entirely a fan of no rear lettering , surely we don't need this across the rear of the best rump of any sports car ...?

Or is there a better solution out there ..?

My 997.2 C4S only has 911 marked on the back, it doesn't need any more letters.

As below enough said :grin:

Now that's more like it .......

Could be worse. you could get this back from the OPC. :floor: you have to wonder how they hell they would get on with 991 Carrera 4 Targa GTS:floor: :floor:

Attachments

• 29097a8d00000578_3095041_image_a_27_1432480339906_152_146.jpg
    29097a8d00000578_3095041_image_a_27_1432480339906_152_146.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,595
Noticed this when I was at the factory and they were churning out the 991's my first comment to friends was anyone who knows cars or even people who don't recognise a 911.
As said less is more !
sack whoever is responsible for this bollocks, way over the top and looks tat IMO. :dont know:

Phil 997 said:
Could be worse. you could get this back from the OPC. :floor: you have to wonder how they hell they would get on with 991 Carrera 4 Targa GTS:floor: :floor:

Classic !! :floor: :floor:

Not everyone thinks this way: on one of the Faceballs 997 groups (why do I bother?) I was called "silly and stupid" for debadging my rear end, and "for compromising the design language of the car", or some such utter bollocks.

:pc:

MaxA said:
Not everyone thinks this way: on one of the Faceballs 997 groups (why do I bother?) I was called "silly and stupid" for debadging my rear end, and "for compromising the design language of the car", or some such utter bollocks.

:pc:

:floor: :floor: Max sounds like you had a run in with some sandal and sock wearing Porsche club of Finland members :grin: :grin: if Porsche put the words "Driver is a Twat" on the car they would want to keep it original :thumb:

I understand that the reason for this new trend (note also "ASTON MARTIN" and "JAGUAR" etc. on the rears of those cars) is China and markets where the marques are not that established and whose target customer is aspirational classes who want to be seen driving a "PORSCHE" or "ASTON MARTIN".

It seems to make sense as there is no other common sense reason for it. The stylists must be tearing their hair out as I believe they HATE registration plates, model inscriptions etc.

In a mature market like the UK, it looks plain daft per previous comments. Another case of the manufacturers dictating trends. If every customer in the UK said remove the badges except the PORSCHE one, they may get the message but, frankly, in today's world of "I'll have it for a couple of years before the next one", no-one seems to care.

is1 said:
I understand that the reason for this new trend (note also "ASTON MARTIN" and "JAGUAR" etc. on the rears of those cars) is China and markets where the marques are not that established and whose target customer is aspirational classes who want to be seen driving a "PORSCHE" or "ASTON MARTIN".

It seems to make sense as there is no other common sense reason for it. The stylists must be tearing their hair out as I believe they HATE registration plates, model inscriptions etc.

In a mature market like the UK, it looks plain daft per previous comments. Another case of the manufacturers dictating trends. If every customer in the UK said remove the badges except the PORSCHE one, they may get the message but, frankly, in today's world of "I'll have it for a couple of years before the next one", no-one seems to care.

I saw that too somewhere about the Chinese market.
If Porsche were really serious about brand badging in China they could be more direct;

保时捷

:?:

pzero said:
If Porsche were really serious about brand badging in China they could be more direct;

保时捷

Unfortunately, that wouldn't achieve the purpose. They want European brands, with no links to China. If you badged them in Chinese, it misses the point.
Although I'm sure your point was probably tongue in cheek.

is1 said:
pzero said:

保时捷

Unfortunately, that wouldn't achieve the purpose. They want European brands, with no links to China. If you badged them in Chinese, it misses the point.
Although I'm sure your point was probably tongue in cheek.

Firmly - :thumb:

While we're on the subject, the one that makes me cringe is Jaguar (in lettering) with the "bird poo" leaping cat on the rear of new Jags. It actually looks cheap.

Surely it should be the roundel on the front and rear? That would be symmetrical too for those that way affected.

is1 said:
While we're on the subject, the one that makes me cringe is Jaguar (in lettering) with the "bird poo" leaping cat on the rear of new Jags. It actually looks cheap.

Surely it should be the roundel on the front and rear? That would be symmetrical too for those that way affected.

Scratch 'n Sniff did a whole 'episode' about the leaper and the growler on the Jag. They're pretty funny.

I like the leaper personally. I don't care that it's not symmetrical. At least it looks like it's made of metal unlike the plastic badges on my 997 which were removed soon after the first washin experience.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJno1
Back