Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS wheels

icekay

I want to preface this post by saying that I love the GTS CL wheel design and would definitely not change it for something else.

However, I am really not a fan of the contrast silver rim at all, and much prefer when the wheels are super dirty and all one colour.
To my eye the single colour used in the 991 gen looks much nicer - random internet pics of both below.

Is it a full wheel respray job to get the rim to match the wheel colour? Would I ever be able to change it back to standard (e.g. resale)?
Shall I stick with the cheaper option of never washing the wheels? :D

Attachments

• 997gts_178.jpg
    997gts_178.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,736
  • 991gts_201.jpg
    991gts_201.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,736
...tbh it's probably as cheap to get the wheels properly repainted in your colour of choice than get the lips 'blown in' which won't look as good/uniform...

If the lip is lacquered metal or diamond cut then returning to this might be ball ache...but anything is doable if you throw money at it!

Just reach a decision on what you want and go with it...

Speak to Chris at Exel wheels.....

But in the meantime yes you would need to get the whole wheel redone for it to look right - figure about £100 a wheel plus! Would you be able to go back to the silver lip - yes even if it is painted. Chris did some wheels for me in the summer with a painted silver lip and it looks 100%it is a little more expensive though.

In terms of resale only the purist will reject the all black wheel. personally i think it looks much better... :)

Completely agree. Not a fan of diamond cut wheels, and solid black looks far better. Between £70 - £100 a wheel depending on the place you get it done. I wouldn't go for any sort of temper plastidip DIY job personally, but if you have the patience and skill you might wish to brave it. Just commit to it!

I'm not a particular fan of contrasting polished lips either. As theFinn suggests, it might be worth having a go with plastidip for the winter season...

Richtw said:
Speak to Chris at Exel wheels.....
:agree:

Speak to Chris on the phone, he is extremely knowledgeable and his work is impeccable :thumb:

The chrome lip just defines the wheel a little, so you don't lose it in the black hole of the wheel arch...if that makes sense :grin:

I like black wheels on a light coloured car 8)

On a dark car then I think that you need the chrome lip :judge:

:thumb:

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've read of plastidip before but it seems more trouble than it's worth to keep clean, plus it seems to cost nearly the same as a respray!

If doing a full respray I would definitely choose a lighter anthracite - had black wheels on all of my past cars so am definitely done with that, particular this being a black car.

Think I'll give Chris a call after the holidays and see if they're confident they could restore them to original colour later if needed be. I probably wouldn't bother doing so myself if I sold the car on, but would be good to reassure a potential buyer that they could have it back to standard if they wanted to!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back