Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Funny noise from steering wheel

pierrebear

Nurburgring
I noticed when turning the wheel at near full-lock today that there was an odd noise (I liken it to a rattle of some ball bearings or similar rolling around in a jar) as I turned the wheel. The noise can be replicated when the car is at stand-still as well as on the move.

Any pointers? Could it be as simple as low power steering fluid? :dont know: :oops:

Yes if the reservoir is low on fluid the ps pump clatters as it's trying to pump air. Had that one myself, no leaks detected and it never did it again in 8yrs.

Update: bought some power steering fluid, checked the level and it was absolutely fine! Got it looked at by a local garage who agreed it was all fine. They seem to think it could be the indicator repeater cancellation pin clicking against the rack as the wheel is turned...has anyone ever come across that?

The indicator cancellation is operated by a spring loaded cam in the steering column switch block, nothing to do with the rack. So that's a strange diagnosis.
Worth checking that the rack is not loose and the trackrod ends are not worn. I've just replaced my ps belt and it was pretty worn. Perhaps a tooth or two missing from your belt. Very hard to replace in situ but doable.
It still sounds very much like the problem I had, a noise on full lock.
The system is self bleeding and the fluid should be replaced at some stage with Pentosin. It's a very messy job.
https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsche-993-how-to-replace-power-steering-fluid-383371

pierrebear said:
They seem to think it could be the indicator repeater cancellation pin clicking against the rack as the wheel is turned

First up, oh dear.....

If the fluid is full then as Endoman says it's worth flushing the fluid for fresh stuff, as with any oil it breaks down and becomes less effective over time, particularly under pressure. PS pumps will whine on full lock naturally as they want to continue to push but cannot due to the lock, so don't hold it that position for any extended period.

Next is the belt, will be a tricky job with engine in situ, replace the PS belt cover too if broken (as mine was).

Trev

Heard the noise on hard lock again today - could it be the steering rack itself??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back