Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 74
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 5
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
BigLion
Newbie


Joined: 07 Mar 2016
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: 997.2 disappointment Reply with quote

I owned a 997.2 c2 a few years ago and I ended up selling it after a few months as was really disappointed with the exhaust noise. I tried adding a H&S bypass and then 2 inch pipes to the side mufflers but the end result wasn’t what I wanted ( I felt like I was driving a teenager driving a Saxo with a silly exhaust). I then gave up and sold the car.

However I’ve got the 997.2 itch again as a friend is selling his car - since quite a bit of time has elapsed since my previous ownership, did anyone ever work out what to do with the exhaust to make it sound more like a 997.1 with PSE?

If not, I may need to look at a 991.1 instead - which will cost a lot more! Sad

Thanks
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
HSC911
Long Beach


Joined: 23 Jul 2014
Posts: 6456
Location: Bedford


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want it to ROAR Cat

Gundo hack Dont know

Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
badlands
Montreal


Joined: 05 Feb 2015
Posts: 519
Location: London


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H&S bypass IS the gundo hack, which OP doesn't like Smile

Get a 991 with PSE if noise is a deal-breaker
_________________
current: 993 carrera coupe, manual, iris blue, bilstein pss10
ex 964 c4
ex 993 carrera cab
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
spongebob squarepants
Zolder


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 5180
Location: Manchester and Iraq


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 997.2 disappointment Reply with quote

BigLion wrote:
I owned a 997.2 c2 a few years ago and I ended up selling it after a few months as was really disappointed with the exhaust noise. I tried adding a H&S bypass and then 2 inch pipes to the side mufflers but the end result wasn’t what I wanted ( I felt like I was driving a teenager driving a Saxo with a silly exhaust). I then gave up and sold the car.

However I’ve got the 997.2 itch again as a friend is selling his car - since quite a bit of time has elapsed since my previous ownership, did anyone ever work out what to do with the exhaust to make it sound more like a 997.1 with PSE?

If not, I may need to look at a 991.1 instead - which will cost a lot more! Sad

Thanks


Being 100% honest, whatever you do with the 997.2 it will never get near a 991.1, the sound is just amazing. It’s a whole different ball game and something that seems to have slipped by most enthusiasts.
There’s an Akrapovic 997.2 system for sale on here at a very good price, can’t comment on that,having never heard one may dramaticllay improve? Dont know
_________________
991 C2S PDK with X51 430 powerkit in racing yellow, PCCB, PDCC, PSE, Carrera S alloys, Sports design package with ducktail.
“Herman yellow, the last of the naturally aspirated”

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 993 C2 manual in guards red
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet
EX 986 boxster

 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
James M-S
Österreich


Joined: 11 Apr 2017
Posts: 976
Location: Derbyshire

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H&S and Gundo are different mods.

H&S eliminates the centre silencer on the DFi 997.2. Gundo modifies the back box so the gas passes through less sound deadening material.

I have both on my car and sympathise with the OP.

What type of Gundo did you have, the one shaped like a banana or the short pipe that links inlet to outlet?

Pipe diameter of 1.75” is best size for no droning. The banana is slightly quieter as some sound deadening is still used.
_________________
Manual 997.2 c2 :Basalt + gtechniq : H&S + Gundo
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
nigel99
Barcelona


Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 1311
Location: Berkshire

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've PSE and H&S and find that they really compliment each other.

The 997.1 with gundo sounds great, but the additional noise is the engine slowly eating itself Very Happy
_________________
Current: 997.2 C2S, Audi TTS mk3
Previous: Cayman 987.1, Audi TT mk1 , BMW e46
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15243
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my 2p on your dilemma. the 997.2 doesn't count as good as the 997.1 and the 991 sounds even more tame with std exhaust and as you say a lot more money. The reason you were never totally happy with the exhaust note was probably due to how you hear the note as everyone is different and if you want that race car note you won't get it from the cheaper exhaust mod options eg rear box delete or a gundo hack.and TBH from your description you won't even be happy with an OE PSE . Budget 4or 5k for a proper exhaust then fit Akrapovik or Cargraphic or one of the high end exhausts full system with 200 cell cats and rear muffler delete with valved sports boxes so you can switch it off loud on Sunday church run lol.. the systems are stainless and lighter so better sound and more BHP. have a google at soundbytes of the high end exhaust manufacturers . heres a couple to wet your take buds lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjGHbzSVLL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLBztCLtry8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq95mO3C0iY


Or you could contact these guys and get yourself made what is IMO the best exhaust note I have heard in a long time .lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSTFBftrIsU
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Albert Park


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1521
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that a set of revised manifolds and sports cats would increase the exhaust noise on a 9972 S, as well as a rear centre silencer delete.
_________________
997.2 Carrera4S: white over blue, driven and tracked, seldom clean.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
benbuhagiar
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 28 Dec 2014
Posts: 352
Location: Kent

2008 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the OP. Bought my 997.2 in May and the biggest disappointment is the exhaust noise.

I test drove a few 997.1 and they do sound better.

I have since fitted a H&S bypass, which has made an improvement but I still want more. Gundo hack in the new year.
_________________
997.2 Carrera PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15243
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
I would have thought that a set of revised manifolds and sports cats would increase the exhaust noise on a 9972 S, as well as a rear centre silencer delete.


For many the answer would be yes Max, but the OP is clearly looking for a particular sound hence my suggestions Thumb Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15243
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benbuhagiar wrote:
I have to agree with the OP. Bought my 997.2 in May and the biggest disappointment is the exhaust noise.

I test drove a few 997.1 and they do sound better.

I have since fitted a H&S bypass, which has made an improvement but I still want more. Gundo hack in the new year.
.

Hi Ben, I think its worth trying the gundo as its only a couple of hundred quid but if your still not happy then maybe you also need to look at the type of thing in my other post. the OP has tried bypass and gundo and still wasn't happy so thats why I suggested other options. Personally other than the custom job is my other post I do think the best sounding exhaust is Akrapovik and thats coming from someone who has a full cargraphic race set up on his 997.2 4S which I do like but still think Akrapovik is even better. Thumb Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 10 May 2018
Posts: 295
Location: Hampshire


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to three different fabricators, including Topgear, and they all said that a Gundo hack on a Gen 2 was not much good. Well, maybe "they would say that wouldn't they?" but in my opinion, if you want a good exhaust note on a Gen 2 you're best advised to get a bespoke cat back full system.
I haven't heard Cargraphic, Akrapovic or Kline in person but they are very expensive although no doubt very good.
I spent slightly over £2k on an exhaust from CGR Automotive in Rotherham; it's a very well made full stainless system and I think it sounds damned fine. Have a look here: https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

Just my 2p's worth, regards, Mike.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15243
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny I was just browsing the forum and saw this Akrapovik for gen2 at £3300 thats a coincidence and someone should grab it quick , mine is centre outlet AKA GT3 style otherwise I wouldn't be giving anyone a heads up and would have grabbed it myself. Thumb Thumb

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=128804
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
benbuhagiar
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 28 Dec 2014
Posts: 352
Location: Kent

2008 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Of Beans wrote:
I spoke to three different fabricators, including Topgear, and they all said that a Gundo hack on a Gen 2 was not much good. Well, maybe "they would say that wouldn't they?" but in my opinion, if you want a good exhaust note on a Gen 2 you're best advised to get a bespoke cat back full system.
I haven't heard Cargraphic, Akrapovic or Kline in person but they are very expensive although no doubt very good.
I spent slightly over £2k on an exhaust from CGR Automotive in Rotherham; it's a very well made full stainless system and I think it sounds damned fine. Have a look here: https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

Just my 2p's worth, regards, Mike.


When I spoke to Topgear, they advised a Gundo on it's own won't make much difference, it needs the Bypass pipes to compliment it.

I could be wrong but do the Gundo and Topgear Valvetronic exhaust system have a similar noise output? The main difference being the Gundo hack is permanent but topgear can be switched by a button?
_________________
997.2 Carrera PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
spongebob squarepants
Zolder


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 5180
Location: Manchester and Iraq


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read all the above and then to avoid the “Vauxhall Corsa syndrome” after spending a fortune just buy a 991 Grin Thumb
_________________
991 C2S PDK with X51 430 powerkit in racing yellow, PCCB, PDCC, PSE, Carrera S alloys, Sports design package with ducktail.
“Herman yellow, the last of the naturally aspirated”

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 993 C2 manual in guards red
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet
EX 986 boxster

 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
MaxA
Albert Park


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1521
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love that Akrapovic (bargain!!) but it would eat up pretty much the entire fund for my boy's MX5 project. And I think my wife would hate me, as she already frowns at early morning cold starts with my 9972 (PSE + Hayward & Scott). We live in the country, where it is very quiet, and apparently the house shakes...
_________________
997.2 Carrera4S: white over blue, driven and tracked, seldom clean.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Counter Of Beans
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 10 May 2018
Posts: 295
Location: Hampshire


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongebob squarepants wrote:
Read all the above and then to avoid the “Vauxhall Corsa syndrome” after spending a fortune just buy a 991 Grin Thumb


I appreciate you're being light hearted here, but a 991 is probably £15 to £20k more than a similar spec 997.2, so the "spending a fortune" comment doesn't really stack up.
You could get a nice exhaust (Akra, Kline etc.), keep the stock one, revert back at sale time and sell the Akra/Kline all for waaaaaay less than a 991.
Anyway, in my experience the 991 is a rather different car compared to a 997 so it's all a bit moot anyhow.

Oh, and if you get the right exhaust it'll sound nothing like a Corsa!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15243
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter Of Beans wrote:
spongebob squarepants wrote:
Read all the above and then to avoid the “Vauxhall Corsa syndrome” after spending a fortune just buy a 991 Grin Thumb


I appreciate you're being light hearted here, but a 991 is probably £15 to £20k more than a similar spec 997.2, so the "spending a fortune" comment doesn't really stack up.
You could get a nice exhaust (Akra, Kline etc.), keep the stock one, revert back at sale time and sell the Akra/Kline all for waaaaaay less than a 991.
Anyway, in my experience the 991 is a rather different car compared to a 997 so it's all a bit moot anyhow.

Oh, and if you get the right exhaust it'll sound nothing like a Corsa!


I am with you on the financial front and also dont think the 991 sounds any better than stock 997.2 both with or without PSE which I realise is all the noise many , want but when your after a more race car sound none of the OE stuff does the job. as you say COB it can be removed at sale time and maybe half the cost recovered , I also like the soundbite of your custom made job sounds IMO quite like the cargraphic set up but for half the cost. I can honestly say no one has ever said mine sounds like a cross with a coke can exhaust Grin also worth noting that you can have more or less crackles and pops by getting a remap as well as an exhaust. Thumb Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 15243
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benbuhagiar wrote:
Counter Of Beans wrote:
I spoke to three different fabricators, including Topgear, and they all said that a Gundo hack on a Gen 2 was not much good. Well, maybe "they would say that wouldn't they?" but in my opinion, if you want a good exhaust note on a Gen 2 you're best advised to get a bespoke cat back full system.
I haven't heard Cargraphic, Akrapovic or Kline in person but they are very expensive although no doubt very good.
I spent slightly over £2k on an exhaust from CGR Automotive in Rotherham; it's a very well made full stainless system and I think it sounds damned fine. Have a look here: https://www.cgrautomotive.co.uk/single-post/Porsche-911-Exhaust

Just my 2p's worth, regards, Mike.


When I spoke to Topgear, they advised a Gundo on it's own won't make much difference, it needs the Bypass pipes to compliment it.

I could be wrong but do the Gundo and Topgear Valvetronic exhaust system have a similar noise output? The main difference being the Gundo hack is permanent but topgear can be switched by a button?


Hi Ben , no the gundo is more base like, a bit like how these cars sound when the engine is cold , the topgear has a more sporty note. but like all things you get what you pay for the gundo is basically a PSE on loud and for £300 isn't a bad option ,then there are the mid range exhausts like topgear ,millet, designtek etc that have a more sporty note then there are the high end which are more race car like and budget dependant start in stainless then titanium and finally Inconel each metal moving up a step in race car sound and cost. but exhaust note in very personal so what sounds good to me may not to others and visa versa.
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
spongebob squarepants
Zolder


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 5180
Location: Manchester and Iraq


PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Counter Of Beans wrote:
spongebob squarepants wrote:
Read all the above and then to avoid the “Vauxhall Corsa syndrome” after spending a fortune just buy a 991 Grin Thumb


I appreciate you're being light hearted here, but a 991 is probably £15 to £20k more than a similar spec 997.2, so the "spending a fortune" comment doesn't really stack up.
You could get a nice exhaust (Akra, Kline etc.), keep the stock one, revert back at sale time and sell the Akra/Kline all for waaaaaay less than a 991.
Anyway, in my experience the 991 is a rather different car compared to a 997 so it's all a bit moot anyhow.

Oh, and if you get the right exhaust it'll sound nothing like a Corsa!


I am with you on the financial front and also dont think the 991 sounds any better than stock 997.2 both with or without PSE which I realise is all the noise many , want but when your after a more race car sound none of the OE stuff does the job. as you say COB it can be removed at sale time and maybe half the cost recovered , I also like the soundbite of your custom made job sounds IMO quite like the cargraphic set up but for half the cost. I can honestly say no one has ever said mine sounds like a cross with a coke can exhaust Grin also worth noting that you can have more or less crackles and pops by getting a remap as well as an exhaust. Thumb Thumb


You need a run in Herman yellow Grin On a serious note I’ve yet to hear a 997 that’s anything like a 991 Dont know
_________________
991 C2S PDK with X51 430 powerkit in racing yellow, PCCB, PDCC, PSE, Carrera S alloys, Sports design package with ducktail.
“Herman yellow, the last of the naturally aspirated”

EX 997.2 Carrera 4S PDK
EX 997.2 Carrera S PDK
EX 993 C2 manual in guards red
EX 997 C2 gen 2 PDK
EX 993 Targa
EX 993 Carrera 4 manual
EX 996 3.4 Cabriolet
EX 986 boxster

 
  
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum