Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Big cheap ''Tip'' car needed

Roro

I'm looking for a large estate or hatch to take crap to the tip, as well as for doing the B&Q / Wickes DIY trips etc

Budget is under £1k, so nothing, basically. It needs to be automatic, 4 doors, I think those are the only requirements other than it needs to be reliable as well and be able to deal with standing around for weeks on end doing nothing

Any ideas?

Immediate thoughts are a beaten up Merc or VW, what else is there?

Thanks

8)

Beware Ro',

I've got a 2 litre Auto Nissan Primera Estate which I kept on after it finished daily duties about 5 years ago. Since then it's only done 6k miles but has cost 3x more than it's worth. Old cars really don't like occasional use. :nooo:

She's got a new MOT and already wears winter tyres so I'm sorted for the next few months. After that she'll have to go.

Alternatively, you can have her now for £400. :D

Maybe woth a £1k budget not the best section! :floor:

What about a japenese car like an old accord estate reliable and masive and cheap. Or maybe an xtype jag or subaru outlander. Old volvo too!

Cheers chaps :thumb:

The thought of something Japanese never even crossed my mind

Terry, could you pm me some more details? 8)

Why not hire a car when needed? At £50/day that's 20 days worth of use, the only hassle I'd pick up and drop off. Just a thought.

That's what I'm doing now, but it's just a hassle having to plan and pre book a vehicle all the time. What I'd really love is another pickup (I had a DMAX for a couple of years, loved it but it had to go), or a V Class or something like that, but way out of the budget for a donkey works vehicle

Volvo V70 - huge loadspace and comfortable too! The Geartronic autos aren't great although all the autos can be prone to flaring so have a good test drive. I've just checked my records (yes I'm a saddo) and in 2011 I took a punt on a six-year-old 248k mile V70 - it had two service books and you simply wouldn't know it had done the miles. In fact, I've just done an MOT check on it (I told you I'm sad) and it seems it wore the miles so well that the following year it was mot'd with just 63k and has since done another 50k or so!!

While all old cheap cars can be money pits, I would think the Merc (rot-box) or VW you mentioned would possibly be on the dearer side to keep on the road.

I'll wheel out the only pic of mine I've ever bothered taking. V70 2.5 10v non turbo manual.

These are unburstable. I've owned dozens and dozens of cars and as a tool, for comfort, build quality and versatility this is the best car I have ever owned, honestly. Great stereo for a 20 year old car. In fact way better than the 996 and the seats are like armchairs.

My dad has owned Volvo's for years and as I got older I found myself borrowing his more and more. I'm converted now so bought the one above 3.5 years ago for £700, on 154k miles.
It's just about to click over 190k and apart from oil and filters (it gets the Millers I drop out of my 911) it has only needed two calipers £70 & £40 and plugs and leads due to a misfire.

They really get under your skin. I'm in a position to change it no problem but just think "Why bother buying someone else's problems". It's free motoring.
Until I can buy something that really excites me (I don't even know what that is yet) then why change.
What will a £15k estate car do that mine won't.

I'm in the middle of doing the most maintenance to it since I bought it as my wife is using it to visit family in Colchester next week, a 500 mile round trip.

Discs and pads all round (Pagid), front droplinks, oil & filter, wiper blades, exhaust hanger.
Total is £130.

Avoid the 4wd ones and the autos, whilst reliable, are sluggish and thirstier.
I keep toying with the idea of a V70R or 850R but I couldn't be as careless with it as they are now modern classics. I'll probably end up with my dad's non turbo 20v when he changes as it's done 90k less miles than mine.

Anyway, sorry I'm rambling. I cannot speak highly enough about my Volvo. Trouble is, people never seem to want to listen. Funny that. :grin:

PS The later models are still good but it's the boxy ones that are bombproof.
I often have people comment when I'm at a shop or garage and they all say "I had one of those then bought a newer one. I wish I'd kept the old one, much better".

Edited to add - VAG stuff is ok. My mate Craig on here has a 250k mile golf but it doesn't wear it's miles as well as an old Volvo does.
It would take a braver man than me to buy a £1000 Subaru. The engines are pants. Bottom end anyone? :D

Just seen it needs to be auto. That's better for your search if you go Volvo as manuals are pretty hard to come by. I'd say 5 autos to every manual where my model is concerned. More manuals in the later shape.
Auto boxes last as well as the rest of the car really, especially if you aren't towing or anything. :thumb:

This looks ok. Previous doctor owner too. :grin:

Volvo V70 2.5 Auto / Genuine Low Mileage / V 70 850 // P/X Possible https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173667956595

Sub 100k miles on an old shape V70 is like rocking horse poop nowadays.
You'd need to check the mot history etc and use due diligence as ever.

And this Turbo one looks lovely, if you like visiting petrol pumps. I'd have been there like a shot if it was manual as it's only 30 miles north of me.

Volvo V70 1999 + winter wheels and tyres https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163410295002

I had no idea there was so much love for the V70. I'll add this to my list of options to investigate :thumb:

How often will you use it? Will it just be in the way most of the time?

Have you though of the occasional van hire, might be cheaper and easier?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back