Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ipod classic

Rhodris-dad

My car has spent 2 weeks with an OPC and they have failed to resolve the issue.(even though they said they had)
Miffed to say the least. :wall:

Has anyone come across this issue.....

Connecting the ipod using the USB in the glove box.

Initially the ipod works fine, full functionality (album covers/scrolling) sometimes for a couple of hours but then the connection disappears.

Then after a few seconds it reconnects itself only to do the same thing again after a few minutes.

Sometimes it does not recognize the ipod at all.

I have read on other forums that the 2017 991.2 does not recognize ipod classics but mine is a 2015 991.1 and with the newer cars the PCM says "device not supported".

Can anyone help?...........before I buy a USB drive and download music to that.

Jukebox does not have enough storage.

:dont know: :dont know: :dont know: :dont know:

I just use a 32GB USB stick, works in most of my cars and stores way more tunes than I need. It also means I'm not stuck with that god-awful Apple software. Cost me about £6.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I just use a 32GB USB stick, works in most of my cars and stores way more tunes than I need. It also means I'm not stuck with that god-awful Apple software. Cost me about £6.

MC

Yeah this is probably the route I will have to take....but I thought it might be an issue with the USB in the glove-box, therefore a USB stick would have the same problem :dont know:

I am going to try (when I get time) my son's ipod touch as it may have different firmware.

I have 2 classics that I have tried. Both of which have worked fine since 2010 through until now. (my 996 C2 and 997 4S)

32 GB is not enough :D I like music.

Before I replaced the drive in my Classic with a SSD, it used to do something very similar in the car. Something to do with the drive heads getting too hot as the head unit forces them to constantly be on (no support for 'idle' mode) and as its a micro-drive inside there rather than a proper hard disk the excess heat causes the Classic to sputter.

https://www.alphr.com/audio/1001325/how-to-revive-your-old-ipod-classic-with-an-ssd
I used one of Tarkans early boards with a 512GB SSD, the later ones are vastly better and can take SD cards too: https://www.iflash.xyz/store/

MisterCorn said:

MC

Snap.

You don't have to limit yourself to 32GB flash drives, 64GB work too. I can't think why 128GB wouldn't work either but I haven't tested it. Just remember that you'll need something other than Windows to format it in FAT32 e.g. a Mac or Linux box. :thumb:

Hi,

I have an iPod Classic in my new 991.2 GTS and it works with no issues, plugged in through the glove box. I haven't tried cover-flow though I'm still messing about with Apple Play which sometimes picks up the iPhone and other times it just ignores it. I tried cleaning out the connection socket but then I worked out it only recognises the phone if it's plugged in before the ignition is started when it's setting itself up

Your's could be software issue and a reset by OPC might help you but I'd try another lead first, Apple iPod & iPhone leads are notorious for overheating.

Cheers,
Paul

Just an update on this issue.

I eventually got round to taking the advice to download my music onto a USB stick (pre lockdown).

Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue, in fact it steadily got worse. :dont know:

This September my car was due a service and MOT so I asked Chester OPC to have a look at it.

:D They replaced the USB connection in the glove box and it is now perfect.

Question: Why did Wilmslow OPC have my car for over a week and not resolve the issue? :nooo:

For the 1st 10 weeks of ownership my car was at the dealership for 5.
They had various excuses for why it was taking so long to correct the faults but with hindsight, I should of kicked up a bit of a fuss.

Will I be buying another car from Wilmslow?

I leave you to decide.

Glad the USB problem was fixed after a period of 20+ months. :thumb:

Certainly makes us wonder about the technical competence of some OPCs. :nooo:

DRZ911 said:

That's a given!

I too have an iPod Classic 64mb hoping it may work in my 992 when it arrives. Had issues with a new B9 RS4 in 2018 when it did not work. Audi told me that later software in their cars was the problem with older iPhones so they gave me a new one. I wonder if there is any shared stuff and similar is the case with Porsche?

DRZ911 said:

I blamed Apple at first, for their "protectionist" compatibility philosophy....(apologies Apple).

It was only after I had got fed-up with Planet Rock's playlist that I downloaded my music onto USB, then Covid intervened.

RGBArgee said:
DRZ911 said:

That's a given!

I too have an iPod Classic 64mb hoping it may work in my 992 when it arrives. Had issues with a new B9 RS4 in 2018 when it did not work. Audi told me that later software in their cars was the problem with older iPhones so they gave me a new one. I wonder if there is any shared stuff and similar is the case with Porsche?

If there is an issue with the software, at least the USB stick route would solve that :thumb:

Rhodris-dad said:
RGBArgee said:
DRZ911 said:

That's a given!

If there is an issue with the software, at least the USB stick route would solve that :thumb:
Indeed but would it display Album and track details through the car like a iPod? I think not but????

RGBArgee said:
Rhodris-dad said:
RGBArgee said:
DRZ911 said:

That's a given!

Indeed but would it display Album and track details through the car like a iPod? I think not but????

Yes it did. I was concerned that it wouldn't too. Even the album cover.

The pain is downloading your music as you can't transfer from iTunes.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back