Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front driver's side wheel knocking sound

Poker2009

Suzuka
As title, have a knocking sound which seems to be coming from this corner, when I go over any bump in the road. Any ideas what it can be?

Handling doesn't seem to be affected, nor any unusual tyre wear (alignment was last done at Center Gravity in April 17).

Most likely a suspension arm ball joint (or possibly a bush) has failed, this is a common fault on my 3 Series BMW, which produces exactly your symptoms.
Should be a relatively cheap fix... but then it is a Porsche! :roll:

Tie rods or control arms. Get some chassis ears on there.

If you have never had your diagonal arms replaced and you are round about 50k miles then its probably these arms that are knocking .. usual to get both sides go around the same sort of time .

The noise is on holes in the road or cats eyes .. a rough road basically and its a Bonk .. bonk bonk ... very similar to a link rod noise but a bit deeper in note .

With Diag arms its an annoyance .. it wont cause any problems and some people never bother with it year in year out and they do get pretty loud !

Common fault on 350 Zeds as well ... compression arm ball joint ... known as the B A N A N A B A R ...

Mine was the top mount on the shock strut.

Good luck as it's a pain in the neck to get to the bottom of :thumb:

deMort said:
If you have never had your diagonal arms replaced and you are round about 50k miles then its probably these arms that are knocking .. usual to get both sides go around the same sort of time .

The noise is on holes in the road or cats eyes .. a rough road basically and its a Bonk .. bonk bonk ... very similar to a link rod noise but a bit deeper in note .

With Diag arms its an annoyance .. it wont cause any problems and some people never bother with it year in year out and they do get pretty loud !

I think you have described the symptoms I am having. If this is the case, I will just live with the noise. At the moment, I would rather spend my money on other stuff, than the car! I am on 61k, and have never had anything changed on the suspension.

Aghh ok ..

The basic checks are jack the car and feel for play on the wheels .. so top and botom and side to side .. if nothing loose there then the noise is an annoyance .. always check wheel bolts though .. loose and it will be a problem ;)

At that milage you are pretty much into front and rear diag arms .. to confirm they are original for anyone reading then have a look at them .. original will have waxoil on them from new .. replaced and they wont have .

I have very similar symptoms, the knocking is most noticeable at slow speed over bumpy roads, not so much as speed increases. My car is at 78k and no previous history of any suspension component replacement! I am planning a suspension refresh including Ohlins coil overs, bushes and control arms followed by a CG set up and alignment! Good excuse to have the car set up and handling just how I want it :thumb:

deMort said:

Mine has the same - is it like snooker balls knocking together?

If so, likely the diagonal arms as deMort says - Centre Gravity diagnosed mine on Friday (especially noticeable over cobbles) so getting them replaced as they're doing a load of other stuff.

Their advice was if you can put up with the noise then just leave them.

Had this on the NSF a month ago and went into my local garage and guess what?! Some of the plastic wheel liner had dropped for whatever reason and the tyre was chewing the plastic especially when the wheel was on turn! Clipped it back and didn't want paying so I put a tenner in the charity tin!

Snooker balls would be a bit of a tinny type noise .. this is a bit of a deeper noise .. very similar to a link rod .. or if the noise is very loud then its antiroll bar bushes .

Im afraid several components make the same type of noise .

I will say though that if anyone wants to post or email me a sound clip i will have a good chance of saying what it sounds like to me .. bearing in mind ive repaired one or two noise problems in my time :D

[email protected]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back