Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tired Battery?

roboxm3

Evening All,

A couple of weeks ago my car and my key seemed not to be the best of friends anymore and it started to take 2 or 3 pushes of the button to open the car.
I replaced the battery in the key, thinking that it was the most likely / easiest / cheapest starting point but the problem has gradually got worse and now I'm left to use the key in the door, like the good old days.

Tonight when I got in from work, I noticed that the spoiler had stayed up and I had to switch the ignition back on and lower the spoiler on the button.

Could the above be symptoms off a tired / dying battery?

I checked under the passenger seat and it's bone dry under there, so hopefully it's just something simple...hopefully...

Cheers

The spoiler would lower as you drive, so not likely to be related to car battery condition

Get a Ctek conditioner, that should be able to bring the batt back from almost any state.

How is the engine/starter cranking? If the batt is dying it will be difficult fur the car to turn the engine over and start.

Do me a favour .. pull the carpet on the n/s/r ( so behind the seat at the back of the flat carpet ).. check for water ingress . are the carpets wet basically.

If so does it reach the control unit under the passengers seat .

The engine fires into life without hesitation and the carpet behind the passenger seat is bone dry but I haven't lifted it to check underneath...I'll do that in the morning.

I know that the spoiler is supposed to rise / lower at 50mph but I didn't know if the spoiler misbehaving was perhaps one of those Boxster quirks.

ETA; it's a daily driver, approx. 20mi each way to and from work, so I wouldn't have though charging should be an issue!?

Quick update; I finally got around to digging out and trying the spare key and it works fine, so it's the key that's buggered... I'm hoping I can find someone to fix it as opposed to getting a new one, so any recommendations welcome.

The spoiler hasn't stayed up again after that first and only occasion, so I'll just assume it was in a funny mood that day...

I double checked the carpets behind / under the seats and all bone dry.

It seems to be fixed so thats good .. my only concern is the raised spoiler .. that only happens with a flat battery or water ingress to an alarm cu (under the passenger seat )

For now see how it goes .. hopefully there will be no further problems .. but as a Mechanic im a little .. erm .. unsure atm as the spoiler doesnt fit with the type of problem i would expect from a faulty key remote .

People here do recomend the guys in this link .. ive never used them so cant say ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=130946

I've caught the spoiler button once or twice reaching for keys in the cubbyhole below.

The plot thickens...

Yesterday I tried the 'battery in backwards' reset procedure...which didn't work... Then I tried the 'hold the button whilst turning the key in the door' procedure and for the rest of yesterday evening, I had working remote central locking again...but this morning I don't :grin:

I'm thinking I might just have to stump up for a new key at some point...maybe Santa will bring me one...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back