Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash camera

Peter B

Montreal
Any suggestions or experiences?

TIA

Pete

I've got a nextbase 312g it's really good and clear with wide angle and you can click it easily off the mount if you want, has GPS. Pretty cheap these days, and you can get Universal hardwire kits for them which I plan to plumb in at some point.

Definitely get a dash Cam of some description, unfortunately I only got dash cams for my fleet after an accident not my fault but got shafted by having no evidence to prove it.

I have a thinkware f750 with the optional rear camera, quite a nice setup, only drawback is that the c4's stiffer suspension coupled with me running on 19" has a tendency to do accident recordings now and then.

Also the lane departure is useless as it can't detect the use of turn signals, but the speed camera warning is quite useful.

The additional motion detection function when parked is quite nice to have, and I didn't think I ever would have a need for that but having had my headlights smashed the other night I could actually provide the police with a video of the guy doing that, and his friends...

I have a NextBase 512 from Halfords. £100 and its what it is, I would recommend

Nextbase or Blackvue ( expensive).

Been looking at these too, at the moment I cant decide between the Garmin 55 at £119 or the budget Old Shark at £43.99.

I only want it to do what it says on the tin in case of an accident plus the Old Shark is a sucker fit so its easier to swap between cars.

The Garmin looks nice, I like discreet cams..
I'd give the oldshark a miss as no GPS.
If you want a cheap but good, argos are knocking out nextbase 212g cams at £59, good spec and GPS.

Mini 0805P dash Cam is another option at under £50 if you're after small and discreet it has GPS and is tiny while still having a screen.

Screenless cams are a pain to get set right and youre never 100% that they are on and running as no screen for visual check

I don't have one and never will based on two incidents that happened to friends of mine, both in minor accidents, the police take cameras and mobiles and breathalysed all drivers then hand out prosecutions for footage from the. cameras days ago!!!
Don't self incriminate yourselves, unless like me you drive 100% like an angel 100% of the time 👍

diverzeusy said:
I don't have one and never will based on two incidents that happened to friends of mine, both in minor accidents, the police take cameras and mobiles and breathalysed all drivers then hand out prosecutions for footage from the. cameras days ago!!!
Don't self incriminate yourselves, unless like me you drive 100% like an angel 100% of the time 👍

I have a dashcam but I am conscious that it can work for and against me so it has the smallest size of SD Card fitted, no point keeping more video than necessary.

diverzeusy said:

Conversely, I've had two people drive into me whilst driving. Police were not required, but the footage meant there was no argument about the other party being at fault and everything was sorted without hassle.
Dashcam also happened to capture a bloke hanging around our neighbourhood as I was leaving home. Found our house was burgled 3 hours later. Showed the footage to the Police and it proved to be the same bloke when he was picked up in my car 4 days later. Again, open and shut case.

Lastly, the Police were very impressed with the dashcam footage of the scooter rats riding a nicked scooter in front of me.

£30 dashcam from Amazon is all you need. No GPS, so no speed readouts to accidentally incriminate yourself.

Bizarrely, it's now £45 on Amazon, but something of this ilk, is all you need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KZ0J452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Os8aCbB8ACW8A

jinjaninja said:
diverzeusy said:

Conversely, I've had two people drive into me whilst driving. Police were not required, but the footage meant there was no argument about the other party being at fault and everything was sorted without hassle.
Dashcam also happened to capture a bloke hanging around our neighbourhood as I was leaving home. Found our house was burgled 3 hours later. Showed the footage to the Police and it proved to be the same bloke when he was picked up in my car 4 days later. Again, open and shut case.
I

Lastly, the Police were very impressed with the dashcam footage of the scooter rats riding a nicked scooter in front of me.

£30 dashcam from Amazon is all you need. No GPS, so no speed readouts to accidentally incriminate yourself.

Bizarrely, it's now £45 on Amazon, but something of this ilk, is all you need.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KZ0J452/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Os8aCbB8ACW8A
I agree, they do have good points without a doubt, the small memory card is a good idea then not too much history, thanks Gottans 👍
I was just trying to get across to everyone be careful regarding self incrimination, I have been 'on the fence' as to have one or not, probably will for track days, but not road 😀

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back