Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential new owner, potentially mad

Luano

Hi folks, new to 911uk and 911's in general

Currently own an e46 m3 road legal track car which is extensively modified from standard (think clubsport)

I have been offered this car in p/x Hi folks, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

its up for 11k, my car at this time of year is realistically 15 to sell, if i held out till spring maybe another 2 ontop, im being offer the 996 and 3.5 to put the deal into perspective.

I wondered if anyone on here had come across this car before?

Its been serviced yearly but no records of any actual maintenance, i.e rebuilds, ims upgrades, clutch/flywheel etc, bearing in mind the 176k mileage, i rang the garage that have looked after the servicing and he said though its been serviced regularly, thats is all its had, in 8 years....

ive viewed the car, and the interior is really good order, the outside is not so bad, a spot of corrosion on the drivers door below the weather strip, and both front wings corroded at the lower rear edges, but underneath is where it gets odd, huge amount of play in the half shafts, can lift the diff up and down by hand, and it looks like someone has chemical metalled the sump at some point, plenty of oil leaks and no under trays, also the insides of the wheels are atrocious.

Now apparently the owner had used the car everyday, and reassures me it drives mega, ive yet to drive it.

am i mad to be even considering it? Im excited to own a 911 but should i use my head and hold out, potentially outlay more for another car, which will be less risk free, or go for this one which may be ruinously expensive to sort....

help me out ladies and gents :dont know:

Welcome to the forum. I'm a huge fan if the E46 M3, superb cars. I would say that car is overpriced at £11k. It sounds like there are potentially some serious gearbox issues and if it has had a big knock on the sump who knows what could have happened? I would keep looking myself.

MC

Thanks for the reply, thats what my head is telling me to do :lol:

Personally, it doesn't read well at all. So personally I wouldn't consider it,.

And I have bought some stuff in my time that I didn't even need the benefit of hindsight to question my sanity!

Diff. will need new bearings but can be done in situ. Oil weeping is normal, so long as its not spilling on the road. Personally I'd be looking for something more round the 100k mark unless you're planning on having an engine rebuild. Does have the m030 sports suspension and GT3 kit though.

Welcome by the way. Good luck with whatever you decide :thumb:

Once again, thanks for all the replies, i just needed that bit of reassurance that my brain was telling me right haha, I will hold out for longer, my favourite cars are the 996 gt3, unfortunately I can't see me having a disposable 60 + for some time, if ever, so i think i was being swayed by this car having the aero kit etc

Thanks for the comments regarding the E46 m3 also, they are quite the car, id upload a pic if i can figure it out :pc:

It looks nice on the pics, but from the description you have given there are plenty of better ones out there, I'd certainly test drive some before you commit to any 996, I have an e46 m3 and it's a totally different experience to a 996, let's say I don't think I'd want to trade a sorted e46 m3 for a 996, especially not one I had to spend any money on and I like my 996.

Someone reads this forum then.......no longer available

I've a feeling it's this car -

If so, you could put thousands straight into it. Runs ok but it has had an erm, "frugal" approach to its maintenance for a looonnggg time.
As suggested buy a better one in the first place. The level you will no doubt want to keep yours at is way above where that car is.

:thumb:

PS. You can shake the driveshafts about with your hand where they go into the gearbox. :grin:
Edited to add - I hadn't read your entire post. I just clicked on the link and saw it was this car. I see you've already found the play in the diff. :wink:

This was the mileage last year.

What I would say is that the car must have been a dream 911 ownership experience for the former keeper. Only basic essential maintenance but years and years and tens of thousands of miles of trouble free motoring. The motor has never been opened up apparently.
Unfortunately all that probably means the exact opposite ownership experience for the next owner.

Once again thanks for the welcome and the replies guys.

How do you know the car Marky, just out of interest?

Ill start my hunt for another c2, ideally would like the gt3 kit and the sports suspension, an lsd would be nice too :D

if anyone knows of anything....

No gherkins for me please :grin:

He's read this thread and put the price up a grand too :bandit:

Good luck to him :thumb:

I really should read my posts before hitting the submit button. Relish the thought :roll:
English is my first language in case you were wondering.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back