Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust clamp size

Hello,

The pipe that is being clamped is approx 55mm O/D on my 996.2 3.6. The clamp is 75mm long.

I have just changed mine and went with generic 55mm clamps, without any 'Porsche Tax'. The ones I have fitted are 120mm long. As long as they arent too much longer than this, I cant see an issue.

Cheers
Ben

Kingb4 said:
Hello,

The pipe that is being clamped is approx 55mm O/D on my 996.2 3.6. The clamp is 75mm long.

I have just changed mine and went with generic 55mm clamps, without any 'Porsche Tax'. The ones I have fitted are 120mm long. As long as they arent too much longer than this, I cant see an issue.

Cheers
Ben

Thanks Ben
At 120mm long there wont have been enough wiggle room to get the clamp in place without removing the back box I presume?
I was wondering if it was possible to get them in place without removing the back box if I went for a shorter (75mm) clamp?

Kingb4 said:
Hmmm, thats a good question. I changed mine, whilst I was switching my back-boxes. If you are leaving everything in-situ then a shorter sleeve will be have a greater chance of success.......but still not sure if it will be possible

These people do a 80mm version:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-...h=item4acaff3d72:g:NbQAAOSwuk1Z18wY:rk:6:pf:0

Cheers Ben
They are the ones I ordered
I originally ordered the 51 to 55 mm diameter clamps as I didn't know if the 55 to 59 would tighten up sufficiently on the pipes, Ill see if they will take back which ever pair I don't use back
Ill replace the mild steel bolts with stainless as well if I have them in the right size

dt4 said:
Ill replace the mild steel bolts with stainless as well if I have them in the right size

I did exactly the same. I have read this is a waste of money, as the bolts are easily accessible with a grinder, but, as I am thinking about further exhaust mods, I wanted it to be straight-forward in the future....

Good luck fitting in-situ.....

cheers
I am ready to remove the bumper to get to the boxes if necessary
I split the old clamps with the angle grinder but stainless look better as well as last longer

So, no chance of doing them with the boxes in place but only needed to remove 2 of the 3 nuts on the bracket on the right handside to get enough movement to get the clamp on that side
The left hand side was a longer job though. the nuts were virtually none existent so ended up shearing 2 off with the Erwin nut extractor
In order to get the bracket off the back box I had to grind the long and short bolts off, the sleeve on the short side came out ok, but the long side was rusted solid. I slit the sleeve with a slitting wheel and punched the bolt through then nipped the sleeve up in the vice and migged it back together
I tacked the replacement bolts on to the back pf the bracket and made a long bolt up from threaded bar.
It all went back together ok other than both sides were leaking a little when running so a little exhaust paste was applied
Then the battery was flat so couldnt retest.
Happy to have got them done, hopefully, providing the leaks are fixed

Could you not just bend you clamps open to get them over the pipes then bend back? Saves all the rigmarole with the back box removal.

Not that i could see Alex, they are integral to the sleeve, if you look at the link at the top of the thread.

Mine look just like that but are made up of 4 parts. 2 sleeves that are slotted down the length that one slides over the other 90 degrees to it and 2 clamps that go over the sleeves and grip. All 4 parts just pull open so you can get them over the pipes then squash back in.

Like these here:

s-l300.jpg

Doh!
I didnt realise they can be dismantled, the clamps appear fixed to the sleeves, ah well if anyone reads this in time to come they will be saved some time and effort

Some might be. At least you've got your bolts on your back box brackets in a decent state for next time :thumbs:

True, plus having had it on charge overnight it fired up and there are no leaks :thumb:

:thumb:

I had the passenger side weeping which I sorted the other week. Now the driver's side has started. Perfect timing just as the outdoor temp drops to zero. I love lying down on my drive under the back end of my car in winter......Not!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back