Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo gearbox parts finally arrived

MisterCorn

I am having some upgrades done on my turbo at the moment, slippery slope and all that. These parts have just arrived for it:

It has basically taken me a year from first enquiry to them arriving, but apparently they are very good. I have changed the gearing to give slightly longer gearing in each gear for more relaxed motorway cruising, and a higher first so that it is more useful and the gap from first to second is more reasonable. These have been built as a straight cut gearset to handle extra torque. Also included is a 2 piece mainshaft, and a GT2 PRO LSD to get the power down when the car only has 2WD. I also have a billet cover plate for the gearbox and will be running an oil pump, spray bar, and cooler.

I am hoping that I have reached the bottom of the slope for the gearbox now 

Gears are:

gear Standard New
1st 3.82 3.17
2nd 2.05 2
3rd 1.41 1.38
4th 1.12 1.04
5th 0.92 0.84
6th 0.75 0.67

MC

Will be interesting to hear the noise difference with straight cut gears.

alex yates said:
Will be interesting to hear the noise difference with straight cut gears.

I have been told that they aren't all that loud. I wouldn't have done it through choice, but apparently if I want to keep the gears on the shaft with the torque it will produce I have no option.
With a bit of luck you won't hear it over the exhaust :D

MC

:grin: :thumb:

You can always add a couple of sweaty socks in there, or some saw dust. :eek:

Is fearnsport building your box? I've been discussing gearboxes with Matt for mine, he was talking about the guards stuff and it being the way to go.

sim996 said:
Is fearnsport building your box? I've been discussing gearboxes with Matt for mine, he was talking about the guards stuff and it being the way to go.

Yes he is. He is doing the entire engine build as well.

MC

MisterCorn said:
sim996 said:

Yes he is. He is doing the entire engine build as well.

MC

Good choice, not only a talent, but a true gentleman. All my stuff is down there.

MisterCorn said:
I am having some upgrades done on my turbo at the moment, slippery slope and all that. These parts have just arrived for it:

It has basically taken me a year from first enquiry to them arriving, but apparently they are very good. I have changed the gearing to give slightly longer gearing in each gear for more relaxed motorway cruising, and a higher first so that it is more useful and the gap from first to second is more reasonable. These have been built as a straight cut gearset to handle extra torque. Also included is a 2 piece mainshaft, and a GT2 PRO LSD to get the power down when the car only has 2WD. I also have a billet cover plate for the gearbox and will be running an oil pump, spray bar, and cooler.

I am hoping that I have reached the bottom of the slope for the gearbox now 

Gears are:

gear Standard New
1st 3.82 3.17
2nd 2.05 2
3rd 1.41 1.38
4th 1.12 1.04
5th 0.92 0.84
6th 0.75 0.67

MC

Can I ask what FD you are using with those ratios?

Running the standard final drive. The idea being that if you have free reign over the main 6 ratios you don't need to touch the FD.
The Turbo has the opposite problem to my C4. It has so much torque and power that the gears all seem too short and it ends up doing 3k+ rpm at motorway cruising speeds. The C4 is geared for close to 200mph but for what I want would be better if geared for 130mph. Unfortunately different ratios are not so easily available for the C4.

MC

996ttalot said:
MisterCorn said:
996ttalot said:
gt2rs mainshaft ?

Yes

MC
That's good to hear. When we first starting doing these boxes years ago we had major problems with different shafts available so it is the only one that we know for sure works.

Ken, do you have any clips of a straight cut G96/G97 box from inside the cabin? I know how my Westfield sounds and it isn't nice, but then it's right next to me seperated by a carbon panel. Might be bearable in a Porsche..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back