Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bigger brake discs

NedHan79

Suzuka
I've been googling and can't find an answer to my question.
Can I get bigger brake discs for my 1998 996 c2 3.4. It's quite popular with different marques to go for larger brake discs and keep the same calipers by fitting a spacer in between the calipers and mounting point so the calipers sits further out from the centre of the hub. I see it can be done on turbo/c4s' from 330mm to 350mm.
At this point I should mention that I don't need these but it's the sort of thing I like. It's more a visual thing than anything else and might never do it. I could make the brackets if I could find the discs to suit.

Thanks vlad. Funny a cayenne set up was what I had looked at for my last impreza. I wasn't really thinking of that but if there was a bigger disc available with a friction height to suit the pad pad area on the standard caliper, it's only a matter of a spacer for the caliper.

If you do the fronts then you really should do the rears to keep the balance the same. GT3 front hubs and 6 piston calipers or Cayenne calipers with spacers would be the main options to keep them OEM. This is exctly what I have done, using 350mm 997 GT3 disks front and rear.

MC

Yes, that's true.

I did a Cayenne Turbo brake upgrade on my old B5 RS4 and if you braked hard with any sort of steering angle on, you could definitely feel the imbalance trying to spin the car :eek:

I might never go this way with the brakes but it's something I have done in the past. It's just something to give the car more of a gt3 finish. I'd say I'll probably never get gt3 brakes as I have a lot of other ways for the money to go, like suspension. My brakes are new all round before I bought the car so I don't need it.
It's just big brakes are the sort of thing that floats my boat

I know what you mean.

MC

That's exactly what I'm talking about
My old Impreza

Attachments

• be392f84_89eb_4558_8292_aa3d841f1351_201.png
    be392f84_89eb_4558_8292_aa3d841f1351_201.png
    1 MB · Views: 2,194
  • be392f84_89eb_4558_8292_aa3d841f1351_201.png
    be392f84_89eb_4558_8292_aa3d841f1351_201.png
    1 MB · Views: 2,194
Rdodger that's exactly what I was looking for. The photo of my Impreza brakes have rotors from reyland I'm told. I bought that kit 2nd hand off a rally car which came with the 8 pot calipers, brackets, the bells with 330mn rotors and brand new ferrodo ds2500 pads. The guy told me he sourced the rotors from reyland. It was an excellent set up. It wasn't brembo/ap etc quality but they were sensational and saved my bacon on a few occasions as it was a very sharp car.
I did a lot of research on fitting porsche brembos to the rear on the p1 but never got round to it.
I have a background in cars but currently work in a small engineering shop so making brackets wouldn't be a problem. It's only a matter of sorting the discs to match the calipers and more importantly the pad size. There's absolutely no reason why it has to be so expensive

You don't need bigger brakes for the road Ned, only on track maybe.

Good quality fresh discs, pads and fluid along with GT3 ducts should be fine on the road. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
You don't need bigger brakes for the road Ned, only on track maybe.

Good quality fresh discs, pads and fluid along with GT3 ducts should be fine on the road. :thumb:

I agree. But they do look good. Ducts are super cheap from OPC.

MC

I know I don't need to need them. It's more a visual thing. And it's just the sort of thing that tickles my balls :D

I will look into the ducts though. I'm just the type that likes to think what if.
I'm more than capable of doing/modifying anything to suit my needs. And I just like to have or make something that no one else has. Some of you guys have excellent threads on rebuilding suspension and that's just the sort of thing I love. I enjoy working at the cars as much as driving them. If I'm fit.
I appreciate all the pointers I get on here. I'm only a new member but I think I'll fit in very well 8)

Oh and while it's in my head, anyone ever make a rear strut brace?

NedHan79 said:
Oh and while it's in my head, anyone ever make a rear strut brace?

No point - the struts don't determine the rear suspension geometry, it's the upper and lower arms that do, and they're bolted to the subframe halves, which is bolted to the side members of the car.

If you want to 'stiffen' up the rear, replace the subframe rubbers with solid bushes - elephant racing do them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back