Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coil Packs

bobi61

Hi I have had a couple of engine warning lights when I have had a lazy start up , my battery gets low and sometimes only just fires up, We have a lumpy tick over then after a couple of mins we are good to go. My inde recons I could have a damage coil pack and best to get them changed, I just wonder how easy a job is it to change or is it a hold your tounge scrape your knuckles "GOD I WISH I HADNT STARTED THIS" , type of job !!! :?:

A far easier job with the rear bumper and back boxes removed.

I have done a spark plug change with the backbox and bumper in place and it was considerably harder (awkward).

Removing the bumper alone would help you massively. I didn't have a need to jack the car up. If you don't remove the back boxes, you'll need some bendy joints for your sockets and a bit of patience.

What car is it?

If it's a 911 Turbo then it's a real PIA, I did it but it took days as the exhaust had to come off and that alone took ages as every nut will crumble before your eyes!
Normally if a coil pack goes it's terminal, they don't give any warning they just fail and that's it, knackered.
I'm no expert but that doesn't sound like coil packs.

Has he read error codes from the fault that is triggering the 'check engine' light?

My experience is that a damaged coil is either working or not, and won't improve if you leave the car to run.

Lazy starting and low battery has nothing to do with coils.

HI its a 997 gen 1 1 3.8S

The car had just had oil change at the indie and it was the day after that I had the warning light, I took it back and he checked the code and it said misfire !!!,,, this guy knows his stuff and I am sure he is right , the whole question was can I do it myself,, even taking the bumper off fills me with dread !!!

the battery was described as too small and it only gets a run at weekend, surely a dodgy coil pack wont help with a slow turnover ??

To be honest i would say get your garage to do it .. labor cost for all 6 plugs / coils replaced is 1.5 hrs .. might get charged 2.

The Book .. bless it says you do it on a ramp with the bumper on and remove each silencer from the under side ..

The reality is that when i did my first one (4 years old at this point ) the exhaust fixings were too corroded to do it this way so you have to remove the bumper / heat sheilds .. you have to cut the exhaust sleeve bolts or the bands off with a grinder which means you will be replacing them... then remove the silencer .. again the nuts can be corroded .. the captivated bolts can spin .. which means more cutting .

Hence id say .. get your indie on the case .

This has nothing to do with the battery but as there are plenty of posts on here about this ill stop here :D

Wow deMort I'm impressed that you changed coil packs when you were only fours years old! No wonder you went on to be a mechanic, truly a legend!
Or have I read that wrong? :wink:

Counter Of Beans said:
Wow deMort I'm impressed that you changed coil packs when you were only fours years old! No wonder you went on to be a mechanic, truly a legend!
Or have I read that wrong? :wink:

He's not a mechanic. He's a Porsche technician :hand: :grin:

Nooo ..

Im a mechanic .. thats what i qualified as some .. cough .. a few years ago ;)

5 years at tech .. its done in 2 years these days .. kids are far smarter than i was :D

So i think todays guys are technicians .. Im a Mechanic ! .. formally known as Grease Monkey .

@ Counter Of Beans :wack:

:floor:

If your filled with dread at the thought of taking off your PU bumper shrouds then as deMort says get a garage to do it.
On a gen 1 if your coil packs have never been changed then they will probably have started corroding and once that happens it's only a matter of time before they fail.
I'm convinced that on my Gen 1 turbo I was still on the original plugs as the cost of replacing just the plugs is about £700 on a turbo!
I'm still not sure it's the cause of your problems unless you have a dodgy plug. But it's still a well worth service item that needs doing.
Porscheshop do Beru coil packs and plugs or today there is over 25% off at Autodoc so buy now rather than wait. Beru are OEM

3 of them are easy to access, the other 2 are a PITA! Removing the rear bumper is dead easy, taking off the silencers isn't and will almost certainly require cutting bits off and result if bleeding knuckles at the very least! If you can get the car up on a ramp them I would imaging it would be much easier!

I gave up and got Hartech to replace mine whist the engine was out :D

DucatiRob said:
3 of them are easy to access, the other 2 are a PITA! Removing the rear bumper is dead easy, taking off the silencers isn't and will almost certainly require cutting bits off and result if bleeding knuckles at the very least! If you can get the car up on a ramp them I would imaging it would be much easier!

I gave up and got Hartech to replace mine whist the engine was out :D

so, so, true and Hartech replaced mine whilst the engine was out too! :yes:

Thanks one and all , the reason i am tempted is right at this moment the parts are cheap just feel a bit hard faced going to the indie and saying throw them on !!!

bobi61 said:
Thanks one and all , the reason i am tempted is right at this moment the parts are cheap just feel a bit hard faced going to the indie and saying throw them on !!!

I think the indies are used to that, a few people on here that I know never buy a thing from their indie but always turn up with the bits needed, don't worry about it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back