Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back in the Water Again!

ballcock

Paul Ricard
Hey all,
I'm new to this forum, have hung about (and will continue to do so) on the 993 forum.

I started my 911 ownership about 15 years ago with a '99 manual C2, loved every minute of its ownership but fancied a bit of aircooled so jumped at a 993C2 12 years ago .. Shes waiting out the salty season in her garage (the spoilt b1tch) :grin:

Well yesterday I took a leap back into 996 ownership yesterday so I thought I might introduce myself to the 996 heads!

It's a '98 C2 Tip, just over 100k Miles, plenty of service history but not been used much over the last few years.
My intention is to reintroduce it to daily driving, I'm hoping she won't take it too hard!

I've bought a bit of a project to be honest, but I'm looking forward to the journey with it.
On her maiden voyage to her new home I thought she was running just a tad hot.. the needle was just about at the far side of the '0" while sitting in very heavy traffic (over an hour of crawling pace), and then wouldn't you know it, I then got the flashing temp light to tell me she had spilled her guts along the way.

I refilled the coolant this morning. A bit over two litres went in.
I'd love to get the wrenches out and have a ham-handed go of doing a bit of DIY but I'm away from home just a bit too much and know it'll never get done.

.. So, I've shunted her straight off to my local mech to make her whole again..
She'll get a pressure test for coolant leakage, possibly a change of header tank or maybe a rad? I'd checked the oil and coolant before buying , both appeared to be clear.
Anyway, The front bumper will come off to clear any debris between condensers and rads, the resistors will be checked, and I've ordered a lower temp thermo for her.
Other small jobs include investigating the oil pressure gauge which shoots straight to five bars and remains there (pressure sender?)

I'm hoping to get away with the above for the moment. The water pump, various suspension links and bushes, and coil packs have been done recently.

Hopefully she'll be reunited with road in the next few days, I'm really looking forward to hacking her around!

If you seasoned 996'ers have any pearls of wisdom or advice on any of the above I'd really appreciate hearing from y'all!

Thanks Coullstar,
Good points all.
I checked the records last night and recall seeing a water pump included in a recent service.
I checked the fans with the air con on, indeed they work fine on full. I haven't been able to check if they work on low speed tho, I suspect this and debris filled rads might be my higher temp problem.

I also suspect that she got her first bit of holly in ages last night, and might explain the coolant drop ... could the system have been air locked waiting for the first good test of revs to free it?

Even if the low speed fans aren't working it shouldn't do that. Worth using the heater controls to monitor coolant temperature more accurately than the gauge. In traffic in the summer mine creeps up to just over 100 degrees C but no loss of coolant. Hopefully it is just leaking radiators. These are relatively cheap and easy. The header tank is not hard, but is horrifically expensive.

MC

Did you just assume that car's gender? :grin:

When you put the aircon on, they run at low speed not full. They then also run at low speed when the car hits something like 95c and then high speed at something like 105c

I think what you've experienced is just the low speed fan.

Read this for some info: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=127681

Welcome - I hope the Coolant issue turns out to be something simple due to lack of use.

Good to see work such as suspension has been done recently.

A couple of things I would recommend on an older car that is to be a daily driver based on my experience with classic cars and my 996. I expect as you are a 993 owner and have had a 996 before, you will know all of this already.

Give the underneath a good clean and wax it - or as much as you can. While the front bumper is off, grab a spray can of Dinitrol or Dydnax or Wax oil and coat all metal except the rads. Do it to exposed wheel arch and suspension too.

Replace your engine mounts if you can't find evindence they have been replaced. . Read my recent and other comments on the subject. The difference they can make is sublime.

Check alternator out out and battery health. New to you car + not been used much + you want to use it as a daily driver = Sod's law that if you don't check it something will go wrong in the winter on a dark wet night!!! Regulators have a history of failing very gradually.

Consider new standard dampers if budget permits and you don't have any record or evidence they have been changed.

Brake fluid change

Check condition of brake pipes just behind LH front wheel and where they run along the sill. Also, the LH rear section where it runs through front side of rear LH wheel arch and over gear box. Sections can rust. I had short sections spliced into the original pipes as the rust was localized. Also the cost of replacing the full sections is very expensive and there are aluminum connector blocks that the pipes connect to in the front wheel arch and under the passenger seat area, that you will be forced to replace if the pipe unions pull the threads, so avoid where possible.

I posted an excel spread sheet a few months back to track 996 maintenance. Have a look at it as a reference. Search under my name.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks all for the replies, all very useful. The last time I was in 996 ownership rust hadn't yet reared it's ugly head besides b post receivers and back box seams!
Thanks for the correction on the fans AY , I thought that was full flow. I'm guessing it's either debris encrusted rads or leaky rads are causing the higher than normal temps, or maybe I'm just remembering normal temps incorrectly?
I thought the temp generally sat right between the 8 and the 0 even in traffic?

I'll check records to see if the mounts have been done, I believe they have.

Good call re waxing while bumper is off, and the brake lines, I might need them alright! Thanks Ghia!

alex yates said:
Did you just assume that car's gender? :grin:

Why no! .. She spoke to me!

You've just done it again :wack:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back