Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo Engine Bay light

Pickse

I was away for a few days last week and came home Saturday to a flat battery. I mean dead flat.
My jump pack wouldn't switch on cos it didn't think it was connected to a battery so I had to go borrow a battery to connect to the fuse box point to even get the frunk lid open.
The battery was so dead the Ctek would not try and charge it!

So I connected the borrowed battery in parallel and it started charging both.

I've just been out to disconnect the borrowed battery so the Ctek can continue to charge mine and as it's now quite dark I saw the engine bay light was on even tho the lid was shut.

I've taken the bulb out for now but does anyone know where the switch is?
I'd guess the lower lock half but as I say it's quite dark now and I couldn't see a switch anywhere else.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Thanks deMort,

No beeps when I locked it so maybe it's not the lock?

Anyway I'll take a look in daylight tomorrow and see what I can see.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

I believe the frunk and engine bay lights come on together so it could be the frunk is open or either switch faulty. As demort says it should beep when you lock the car if this is the case. Also the relavent light should be on on the dash when you start the engine.
If not a switch it could be a wiring fault or just the car throwing a wobbly after the battery going flat. Might be worth disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds.

I think for now then have a look at the lock in the daylight , see if the switch is intact and if you can press it that it makes a click noise .

I would use a tester to see the alarm cu can actually see its closed ..

Atm im a little confused as to why you dont get a beep to say its open ..

Try leaveing the passenger door open then lock the car . if you dont get a beep then .. then we are into a horn / siren fault .

This wont work with the drivers door .... it wont lock .

Tom made a good point .. it could be the front bonnet switch .. but again you should get a beep on locking .

Thanks Tom, The Frunk was open so it's possible that was the cause. Having had a completely dead battery I'd assumed the rear light being on was a fault?

Thanks again deMort, I'll check again in daylight.
I have a durametric if needed to see what the cu sees.

Cheers,

Slight thread hijack...

Do all 996's have an engine bay light? Don't recall seeing one in my 996.2 C2?

Ian

911Tom is spot on here, with the frunk open the engine bay light is on with the lid closed. But not vice versa.
Curious behaviour but it now means I did not find the cause of my dead battery :damn:
At least I don't need a new lock c.£150 ouch.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back