Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant drop in tank...

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
I've noticed the coolant level drop in the expansion tank by about a 1cm below minimum since I last opened the lid about 3 weeks and 500 miles ago.

I've not seen any fluid on the ground but it's been parked outside and on gravel so can't tell, it still looks a decent pink colour with no oil in it.

You think it's a weeping pipe/joint somewhere or something a little more sinister?

Thats the best part of a ltr.

It will be a slow leak .. you need to look for pink staining but to be fair a lot of the pipes are covered by the undertrays so not really accessable .

i would tend to say wait till its next in the garage and get them to check and for now just keep an eye on it ..

The reason is pink antifreeze contains additives that stop small leaks so it might self seal .

Front crossover pipes are the more common for small leaks .. you can check by looking at the front .. wheel on full lock either way to see the pipes .

Attachments

• 845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21_116.jpg
    845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21_116.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,737
deMort said:

It will be a slow leak .. you need to look for pink staining but to be fair a lot of the pipes are covered by the undertrays so not really accessable .

i would tend to say wait till its next in the garage and get them to check and for now just keep an eye on it ..

The reason is pink antifreeze contains additives that stop small leaks so it might self seal .

Front crossover pipes are the more common for small leaks .. you can check by looking at the front .. wheel on full lock either way to see the pipes .

As always thank you for your advice. Will get out in daylight and have a look. :worship:

deMort said:

As always thank you for your advice. Will get out in daylight and have a look. :worship:

deMort said:
weird things going on with peoples phones these days i think .. ive seen several multi answers more than 10 mins appart recently :dont know:

Strange - definitely only posted once. I was impatient so had a look at your suggestion. Sadly no leaks there.

Will see what the garage says.

I`d check your waterpump Milo72, I had a similar thing a few weeks ago on my Boxster 987.1 and then the waterpump failed. When I got to look at the waterpump it was plain to see that it had beem weeping for a while, with pinkish, rusty stains on the casting :nooo:

Water pump and everything round it looks dry..... hopefully it's not raining tomorrow and can go out and warm it up and park it on a dry surface to see if anything comes out.

If you've had a coolant change, it might just be trapped air being worked out. Or am I being too optimistic deMort?

deMort said:

I have a very small leak in this area, am I correct in thinking just the plastic pipe can be changed and should do the trick?

Any coolant change has the chance of an airlock .. ive been caught out in the past with this .. 20 mile road test isnt always enough to shift it .

Longest .. 200 miles !!!

Now an airlock in itself wont cause any issues but will be alarming to the customer when it suddenly clears and he has to top up the coolant bottle .. straight on the phone and i cant say i blame them .

Rads at the front .. engine at the rear .

This will only happen once though .. when its cleared and topped up it wont drop again .. if it does then there is a leak .

Ok front crossover pipes .. the problem here is the ally pipe that the rubber one from the rads goes into corrodes .. if you can get the rubber pipe with its metal casing out with out damageing the ally pipe .. and if its not corroded inside were the seal sits then thats fine .. downside is it can destroy this pipe getting it appart .. trust me i have tryed.

I will say though i have had some success and have gotten away with just a single rubber pipe before .. its a case of be prepaired to spend a lot of money just in case and give it a go .. be gentle though .. small screwdrivers and gentle levering all the way around with plenty of Lubricant .. de rusting agent .

The plastic pipe will be similar but more rigid so a little easier to remove .

Wether you replace one pipe or all of them .. bury everything in waxoil or acf50 to make sure it lasts .. winter with salt on the road and these pipes dont like it .

deMort said:
Any coolant change has the chance of an airlock .. ive been caught out in the past with this .. 20 mile road test isnt always enough to shift it .

Longest .. 200 miles !!!

Now an airlock in itself wont cause any issues but will be alarming to the customer when it suddenly clears and he has to top up the coolant bottle .. straight on the phone and i cant say i blame them .

Rads at the front .. engine at the rear .

This will only happen once though .. when its cleared and topped up it wont drop again .. if it does then there is a leak .

Ok front crossover pipes .. the problem here is the ally pipe that the rubber one from the rads goes into corrodes .. if you can get the rubber pipe with its metal casing out with out damageing the ally pipe .. and if its not corroded inside were the seal sits then thats fine .. downside is it can destroy this pipe getting it appart .. trust me i have tryed.

I will say though i have had some success and have gotten away with just a single rubber pipe before .. its a case of be prepaired to spend a lot of money just in case and give it a go .. be gentle though .. small screwdrivers and gentle levering all the way around with plenty of Lubricant .. de rusting agent .

The plastic pipe will be similar but more rigid so a little easier to remove .

Wether you replace one pipe or all of them .. bury everything in waxoil or acf50 to make sure it lasts .. winter with salt on the road and these pipes dont like it .

Thanks demort, after your advice I am considering just doing the whole front end. Only bought the car a month ago and is garaged/wont be used it bad weather. So if I do it properly now it one less thing to worry about. Plus I'm sure it will be picked up when it goes for 111 point check in 2 months time...

Attachments

• 20181113_221020_204.jpg
    20181113_221020_204.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 1,463
The pink crystals on the top pipe are were it has been leaking .. it might have self sealed but the ally pipe does look a little corroded .

There are similar pipes in the center of the car at the back of the fuel tank which can also corrode and leak .. hence we tend to do them all in one hit.

If you can do this job at home then you could always try and have a go at the single pipe .. if thats the only one that looks like your picture and you can get it out ok then you will save yourself a few bob .

At a garage for all the front pipes to be replaced then you are looking at approx £1100 ... Not OPC prices ... Indy.

If your doing this job yourself then get the x2 front brackets and new bolts .. they WONT come undone !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back