Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 87
996 : 1997-2005 43
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Milo72
Silverstone


Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 117
Location: Buckinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Coolant drop in tank... Reply with quote

I’ve noticed the coolant level drop in the expansion tank by about a 1cm below minimum since I last opened the lid about 3 weeks and 500 miles ago.

I’ve not seen any fluid on the ground but it’s been parked outside and on gravel so can’t tell, it still looks a decent pink colour with no oil in it.

You think it’s a weeping pipe/joint somewhere or something a little more sinister?
_________________
997.1 C2S Cab Tip.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5554
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the best part of a ltr.

It will be a slow leak .. you need to look for pink staining but to be fair a lot of the pipes are covered by the undertrays so not really accessable .

i would tend to say wait till its next in the garage and get them to check and for now just keep an eye on it ..

The reason is pink antifreeze contains additives that stop small leaks so it might self seal .

Front crossover pipes are the more common for small leaks .. you can check by looking at the front .. wheel on full lock either way to see the pipes .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 



845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.15 KB
 Viewed:  781 Time(s)

845ec76ced869ab6de8fa1f8ef17cf21.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Milo72
Silverstone


Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 117
Location: Buckinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Thats the best part of a ltr.

It will be a slow leak .. you need to look for pink staining but to be fair a lot of the pipes are covered by the undertrays so not really accessable .

i would tend to say wait till its next in the garage and get them to check and for now just keep an eye on it ..

The reason is pink antifreeze contains additives that stop small leaks so it might self seal .

Front crossover pipes are the more common for small leaks .. you can check by looking at the front .. wheel on full lock either way to see the pipes .


As always thank you for your advice. Will get out in daylight and have a look. worship
_________________
997.1 C2S Cab Tip.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Milo72
Silverstone


Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 117
Location: Buckinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Thats the best part of a ltr.

It will be a slow leak .. you need to look for pink staining but to be fair a lot of the pipes are covered by the undertrays so not really accessable .

i would tend to say wait till its next in the garage and get them to check and for now just keep an eye on it ..

The reason is pink antifreeze contains additives that stop small leaks so it might self seal .

Front crossover pipes are the more common for small leaks .. you can check by looking at the front .. wheel on full lock either way to see the pipes .


As always thank you for your advice. Will get out in daylight and have a look. worship
_________________
997.1 C2S Cab Tip.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5554
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird things going on with peoples phones these days i think .. ive seen several multi answers more than 10 mins appart recently Dont know
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Milo72
Silverstone


Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 117
Location: Buckinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
weird things going on with peoples phones these days i think .. ive seen several multi answers more than 10 mins appart recently Dont know


Strange - definitely only posted once. I was impatient so had a look at your suggestion. Sadly no leaks there.

Will see what the garage says.
_________________
997.1 C2S Cab Tip.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
kurlykris
Watkins Glen


Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 2213
Location: Warwickshire


PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`d check your waterpump Milo72, I had a similar thing a few weeks ago on my Boxster 987.1 and then the waterpump failed. When I got to look at the waterpump it was plain to see that it had beem weeping for a while, with pinkish, rusty stains on the casting nooo
_________________
1998 996.1 C2 3.4 with "Aerokit Cup"
2006 Boxster S sport chrono
2010 Mercedes E350 AMG Sport

 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Milo72
Silverstone


Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 117
Location: Buckinghamshire


PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water pump and everything round it looks dry..... hopefully it’s not raining tomorrow and can go out and warm it up and park it on a dry surface to see if anything comes out.
_________________
997.1 C2S Cab Tip.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
MaxA
Barcelona


Joined: 11 Oct 2015
Posts: 1307
Location: Helsinki


PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've had a coolant change, it might just be trapped air being worked out. Or am I being too optimistic deMort?
_________________
2010 9972 C4S PDK: Carrara White, Sea Blue. Mostly driven, lightly modified, occasionally tracked, and usually a bit grubby.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Rojdog
Newbie


Joined: 08 Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Location: Essex


PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Thats the best part of a ltr.

It will be a slow leak .. you need to look for pink staining but to be fair a lot of the pipes are covered by the undertrays so not really accessable .

i would tend to say wait till its next in the garage and get them to check and for now just keep an eye on it ..

The reason is pink antifreeze contains additives that stop small leaks so it might self seal .

Front crossover pipes are the more common for small leaks .. you can check by looking at the front .. wheel on full lock either way to see the pipes .


I have a very small leak in this area, am I correct in thinking just the plastic pipe can be changed and should do the trick?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5554
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any coolant change has the chance of an airlock .. ive been caught out in the past with this .. 20 mile road test isnt always enough to shift it .

Longest .. 200 miles !!!

Now an airlock in itself wont cause any issues but will be alarming to the customer when it suddenly clears and he has to top up the coolant bottle .. straight on the phone and i cant say i blame them .

Rads at the front .. engine at the rear .

This will only happen once though .. when its cleared and topped up it wont drop again .. if it does then there is a leak .

Ok front crossover pipes .. the problem here is the ally pipe that the rubber one from the rads goes into corrodes .. if you can get the rubber pipe with its metal casing out with out damageing the ally pipe .. and if its not corroded inside were the seal sits then thats fine .. downside is it can destroy this pipe getting it appart .. trust me i have tryed.

I will say though i have had some success and have gotten away with just a single rubber pipe before .. its a case of be prepaired to spend a lot of money just in case and give it a go .. be gentle though .. small screwdrivers and gentle levering all the way around with plenty of Lubricant .. de rusting agent .

The plastic pipe will be similar but more rigid so a little easier to remove .

Wether you replace one pipe or all of them .. bury everything in waxoil or acf50 to make sure it lasts .. winter with salt on the road and these pipes dont like it .
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Rojdog
Newbie


Joined: 08 Nov 2018
Posts: 13
Location: Essex


PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Any coolant change has the chance of an airlock .. ive been caught out in the past with this .. 20 mile road test isnt always enough to shift it .

Longest .. 200 miles !!!

Now an airlock in itself wont cause any issues but will be alarming to the customer when it suddenly clears and he has to top up the coolant bottle .. straight on the phone and i cant say i blame them .

Rads at the front .. engine at the rear .

This will only happen once though .. when its cleared and topped up it wont drop again .. if it does then there is a leak .

Ok front crossover pipes .. the problem here is the ally pipe that the rubber one from the rads goes into corrodes .. if you can get the rubber pipe with its metal casing out with out damageing the ally pipe .. and if its not corroded inside were the seal sits then thats fine .. downside is it can destroy this pipe getting it appart .. trust me i have tryed.

I will say though i have had some success and have gotten away with just a single rubber pipe before .. its a case of be prepaired to spend a lot of money just in case and give it a go .. be gentle though .. small screwdrivers and gentle levering all the way around with plenty of Lubricant .. de rusting agent .

The plastic pipe will be similar but more rigid so a little easier to remove .

Wether you replace one pipe or all of them .. bury everything in waxoil or acf50 to make sure it lasts .. winter with salt on the road and these pipes dont like it .


Thanks demort, after your advice I am considering just doing the whole front end. Only bought the car a month ago and is garaged/wont be used it bad weather. So if I do it properly now it one less thing to worry about. Plus I'm sure it will be picked up when it goes for 111 point check in 2 months time...
 



20181113_221020.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  658.53 KB
 Viewed:  507 Time(s)

20181113_221020.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5554
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pink crystals on the top pipe are were it has been leaking .. it might have self sealed but the ally pipe does look a little corroded .

There are similar pipes in the center of the car at the back of the fuel tank which can also corrode and leak .. hence we tend to do them all in one hit.

If you can do this job at home then you could always try and have a go at the single pipe .. if thats the only one that looks like your picture and you can get it out ok then you will save yourself a few bob .

At a garage for all the front pipes to be replaced then you are looking at approx £1100 ... Not OPC prices ... Indy.

If your doing this job yourself then get the x2 front brackets and new bolts .. they WONT come undone !
_________________
.

My Daughter's Crowdfunding page Here

Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum