Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to 996's

NedHan79

Hi all
I'm brand new on here and have been having a look through some threads. All looks great.
I've just taken delivery of my first 911. It's a 1998 Carrera 2 3.4. Dark blue, not sure what it's called, factory aero kit and the gt3 split rims. 74'000 miles with a good history to back it up.
It's an m030 car with lsd.
Having a look at project threads which are a great source of info on random small jobs to to keep them tip top.
I'm a mechanic by trade but haven't worked at it for a while but I'm more than capable and will maintain it myself.
It's a weekend toy but probably won't ever do much.
Just having a look at the service history and it's overdue by a few months.

What oil does everyone recommend? I'd be a fan of millers stuff. Where's best for filters etc? I had a 968 a few years ago and found porsche to be as cheap as any for random bits I needed.

All info greatly accepted

Welcome along Ned! :welcome:

Most of us use 10w 50 Millers from Opie oils, as recommended by a Hartech. It offers better hot temp protection which is good for the main bearings.
Opie often have 15% off etc if you're lucky with your timing.

Oil filters are made by Mann. The printed text on them is identical to the OPC ones.
I used to go to OPC for them but I just let my Indy fit the Mann ones now.

Car sounds ace! The best spec for a 996 in my view. I look forward to some pics or an owners thread. :thumb:

They're good to work on especially if you're already a bit handy with the spanners. I'm not, but even I manage most bolt off - bolt on jobs.

Welcome! Sounds like a great car- probably Ocean blue, or if it has a more purple tint then Zenith blue. Do you know anything else about the spec... LSD M030, original aerokit etc?

But :useless:

I've just bought 9L of Millers CFS 10w50 with a 15% discount, just ended but keep an eye out as there will undoubtedly be another soon. I've not tried this secret sauce before, will be interested to see if it makes any difference

Carparts4less are another good source of bits.

Register with both and you get promotional offers regularly.

Until my last service at 120 odd k it's always had mobil 1 0w 40. Usually get all the oil, filters and plugs from carparts4less and use their discount codes. I wouldn't bother with the millers unless I had a 3.6.........but that's just me.

Oh & Welcome - you're in the right place :thumbs:

Thanks for all the replies. Never been great with the forum thing so I'll give the pictures a go tomorrow if I can take some decent ones. Car was dropped off with me today. I'm kind of outa action atm as I'm waiting for surgery on my back but I'm up to small jobs. Only managed to get 15 minutes free this evening to get a blast out to see how it feels. It was bucketing down so I was soaked getting into the car, in the dark so didn't really get the Windows cleared. Windscreen was fine but sides were misted so hard to see.

Car has a full stainless exhaust inc headers I'm told but I need to get a proper look to see what alls there. Sounds nice.
I sold my p1 Impreza to buy it and it'll only ever be a toy.
On the to do list is service, check engine/gearbox mounts and go from there.
What plugs work well?
I used millers in the p1 so I'm happy to use it again. But how much do I need? 8 litres?
I'll check the air filter tomorrow to see what it is. Bit of luck it'll be a k+n.

First impressions are good
It's never goin to run with the Impreza but I've always wanted a 911

Welcome to the forum.

MC

This is it. It's not on that reg though.

Attachments

• a4166e59_405e_44bd_8371_039b4f68a095_214.png
    a4166e59_405e_44bd_8371_039b4f68a095_214.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,854
Midnight blue? Nice wheels and thats a lovely looking car!
Cheers Rick

NedHan79 said:
What plugs work well? Last lot I put in were Bosch
I used millers in the p1 so I'm happy to use it again. But how much do I need? 8 litres? 8.5 litres, but just buy 10 so you have top up between changes
I'll check the air filter tomorrow to see what it is. Bit of luck it'll be a k+n.

First impressions are good
It's never goin to run with the Impreza but I've always wanted a 911

You wanna bet? Think you'll be quite shocked once you've owned it for a whole and taken it to its extremes on some country twisties.

Thanks guys. The paints tidy enough on the car but it just dosnt shine. Last owner just had the wheels refurbed so they're nice and tidy.
Was just having a look on auto doc. Parts are reasonable but with the spark plugs especially, I've no idea which to go for. Seems to be plenty of bosche, is it just a matter of picking the cheapest as they're all same from different suppliers?

As for the oil, I normally just pick on eBay for the postage rates as I'm in Northern Ireland and we get crippled with the courier costs or a lot of the time they just don't send here. Found millers nano 10/50 for £40 for 5l so I'll probably just get 2 of those.

Bosch Spark Plug (FGR5KQE0)

There's more chance your coil packs will be in a worse state than your plugs (unless they've been changed). Have a good gander at them for cracks.

This was my service parts bill last year including plugs:

1 Hengst Air Filter Porsche 911 3.4 2001 £10.80
2 Mobil Engine Oil (1 New Life Engine Oil - 0W-40 - 5ltr) Porsche 911 3.4 2001 £75.60
1 Hengst Oil Filter Porsche 911 3.4 2001 £5.10
6 Bosch Spark Plug (FGR5KQE0) Porsche 911 3.4 2001 £32.16

Subtotal £123.66
Coupon Benefit -£15.46
Delivery Charges ( Economy ) £0.00
Total £108.20

Thanks Alex. I'll get a look at some stage here

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member