Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reversing Camera

Tim_996

Has anyone fitted a reversing camera to a 996.1 by using a combined camera / number plate replacement unit? It seems to be a neat installation rather than drilling and bolting in the bumper.

As usual, I'm sure that there's a universal fit but I can't seem to find one.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

There are plenty of number plate surround style ones on eBay.
I went for a small unit that I'm going to fit between the number plate lights.

What I'm REALLY interested in is how you do the wiring / routing of the cables!

I need to find an ignition switched power supply in the engine bay
Find a route through the bulkhead for the video feed
tap off from the reversing bulb to provide a signal to the head unit that the vehicle is in reverse (unless you all know of a signal I can tap into inside the cabin??)

So I've some thinking to do... Not quite at the "action" section just yet
:whistle:

Pull power off the reverse light feed from rear light loom so camera turns on when reversing, one option I considered When thinking about the same job was to fit using the wireless video transmitters you can also get on eBay rather than doing the cable run which I had done on a previous 911 for reverse sensor

deMort said:
The boot light feed has been mentioned on other posts for low amp items such as this.

Reverse light seems a pretty good solution though imho.

The bootlight is ignition switched, is it? Ace, that would be an easy fix.

Yes, feeding the camera's power from the reversing light feed would work - but only when the car is in reverse.. (Yes, that's obvious!!) but there's an option to view the camera while going forward, so why not enable it? :thumb:

I did look at trying to find the reverse signal wire that would feed the auto-dipping mirror (if I had one) that's supposedly comes out of the CPU under the passenger seat...
I couldn't find it though :dont know: :nooo:

Im not sure if its ignition fed without testing but i know it has been mentioned on other posts when similar questions have been asked .. usually to do with cargraphic exhaust .

I remember it as its something i missed and didnt think of .. :oops:

Hell i cant know it all :p

Ha! well it's easy enough to test and would be elegant solution if it works!
Thanks for the suggestion :thumb:

Tim_996 said:
Well, that's about where I got to as well.

playtime :grin:

How are you getting on, Tim?

Not good i'm afraid, been a busy week. Will start looking over the weekend.

Let us know.. so we can learn by your mistakes! :hand:

I'm really not looking forward to routing through the engine firewall / bulkhead!

As per PM .. wiring if needed ..

Red/Green A2 .. 1.5 mm wire and you need to fuse it ... cab only .

Attachments

• dme_wiring_1_159.jpg
    dme_wiring_1_159.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 2,875
Do these cameras flip or pop open to stop the accumulation of dirt on the lens or is it up to you to keep the lens clean at all times. Wouldn't it be a P.I.T.A in winter :dont know:

Hi Iain

Do you mean that TERM 30 feed is a constant live? So it would be always on? The camera uses 24W / 2A max and the wires provided with it are p1ss thin so the draw is pretty minimal, so the TERM 15 might be fine?

Than you for posting the diagram - hugely helpful! :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back