Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery charger

Sulz

I don't use my 911 frequently over winter so it can be parked up weeks at a time. Would like to buy a trickle charge to look after the battery. Looking at the CTek . Any model in particular that gets recommended?

I assume the 12v are not live 24/7 as I have a dash cam plugged into the passenger footwell which automatically turns off then the 12v turns off which it does so after 20 minutes or so. Are all of them like this or are some live?

Finally with the ctek kit want to get the wired in kit so just assume connect one End to positive terminal and the other to the ground bolt?

Thanks

Use a CTEK MXS 5.0 on mine, via the 12v/cig socket in the centre console. It has multiple modes - Normal, AGP (for stop/start) and recon. Works fine.

I wasn't aware the one in the central arm rest was live 24/7.

Will get the CTEK and a 12v cig adapter

thanks

Yes I have a cig lighter adapter and works fine. A lot less hassle than trying to fish a wire from under the bonnet. :thumbs:

I have an early 991.1 S and the only permanently live socket is in the side of the passenger footwell. Initially the sockets all stay powered after ignition is turned off but all the others switch off after a short time. Of course it may be different for later models - mine is one of the original 40 UK launch vehicles in 2011.

Have ordered the 12v adapter . All arriving today and will experiement with the sockets and hope one of them is permanent live.

Failing that will go for the battery connectors.

Do you guys leave it charged up weeks on end or give the battary a break inbetween?

Sulz said:
Do you guys leave it charged up weeks on end or give the battary a break inbetween?

CTEKs are designed to be left on all the time.

That makes life easier.

Planning to wash car, fill the tank connect up CTEK and put a winter cover on.

Anything else to do whilst it hibernates?

Will put it away from Dec to end of Feb.

Sulz said:
That makes life easier.

Planning to wash car, fill the tank connect up CTEK and put a winter cover on.

Anything else to do whilst it hibernates?

Will put it away from Dec to end of Feb.

Take it out every 3-4 weeks for a short run(avoid rain/salty roads if possible) and make sure it gets up to operating temp.

Run the aircon

Hi All

Have run into an issue, The earth point Porsche recommend to use is on the far left when facing the car. Battery being on the far right as its a RHD so the points are too far apart to use the CTek connections (not the clamps but the O rings you use to leave a connection hardwired in) .

From what I understand Porsche do not recommend or CTek to use the earth - Terminal on the battery,

What other point or where else can I connect it to?

Due to the car being outside, It's easier for me to plug in the charger to an outdoor point , leave the transformer in the Boot and connect to battery rather than into a 12v socket.

Many Thanks

My CTEK leads are attached to the battery terminals.

You had any issues?

From what I have now read it seems its to prevent sparking which could ignite gasses .

But Ctek doesnt do this anyway.

Sulz said:
You had any issues?

From what I have now read it seems its to prevent sparking which could ignite gasses .

I would recommend trying to find a way to keep the Ctek unit outside the car not in the 'frunk' as you will not know if it is ok or not, or if it is overheating which they don't ( often do ....)
Maybe fab up some type of frame to keep it off the ground, its rated for outside anyway so can in theory stand an outdoor winter Insulation class: IP65
Ambient temperature: -20°C to +50°C, output power is reduced automatically at high temperatures
( I have had mine outside over winter on my RR sport , admittedly improvised with a large flowerpot over the charger and yards of 3m self amalgamating tape though)

Under Frunk method:

Buy a comfort connecter that connects to the battery using eyelets

http://www.vertar.com/ctek/CTEK-battery-charge-indicator-wire-attachment/

You can cut at one point with snips and make it suitable to squeeze under the terminal once you slacken the terminal bolt. Fit both + & - to the batter terminals like this and leave it forever. Connect your Ctek comfort lead male to the female ( stop sniggering you lot !)

You can buy a 'Ctek comfort extension lead' and run into the ' Frunk' leave lid on mechanical latch, not fully closed.

http://www.vertar.com/ctek/CTEK-battery-charger-conditioner-extension-lead/

Locate Ctek outside in safe place or in a suitable enclosure under/near ' the car. Switch on to ' Car ' mode....check after a short while that battery anf charge function is still ok.

Alternative set up is still with Ctek unit outside the car and use the extension lead and the 12v socket connection, you can close the door fully ( gently) on the lead as the seals do not compress the Ctek extension lead , check by pulling slightly once the door is closed....

The sparking comment is only relevant if you use the croc clips onto the terminals but if you do ever use these, its always advisable to switch off the Ctek prior to disconnect the clips anyway.
Modern batteries, and certainly the AGM type, do not gas off like the old type Lead acid batteries did ...

Thanks for your reply 911Tel.

I've found this on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/masterplug..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=1Q1FCW79SNGVGZGXCYFW

A dry box which is used for outdoor connections so seems ideal for the CTEK.

I think your suggestion is a better one. I have the extension cable already so will connect both the eyelets to the battery terminals as you have suggested and then used the Dry box to House the CTek and leave under the car.

Your explantion of why it's safe to so connect to the terminals direct has put me at ease.

Thank you

Sulz said:
You had any issues?

Mine are fine and I've never seen any sparking. Any gas will be out the vent pipe in any case.

You can snip the round type eyelets to make them easier to fit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back