Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I have replaced the fog light lens glass

tyinsky

Genuine Porsche new fog lights are £236+VAT each or £200+VAT for pattern parts. Most of us are probably aware the lenses are now available separately for £65+VAT (possibly cheaper elsewhere?).

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt70_193_-cma81-cmo109/Porsche/993--911--1994-98/Fog-Drive-Lamps/

I replaced mine and refitted them today and though others may find my experience useful in tackling this job. It is simple, a chimp could do it, but it does take a bit of time so set aside a couple of hours.

Step 1.
Removing the fog lights from the car
Remove the screw on the side of the front indicators and slide them forwards (towards the front of the far) to remove. It they are a bit stuck put a cloth around a screwdriver to protect the paint and lever out a little from the trailing edge.

Once the indicator is out, you will see another screw holing the fog light in. remove this and pull the fog light out from the side that was nearest the indicator. It will need to pivot out with the side nearest the trunk badge staying in place until it is free on the other side. I used a screwdriver to lever out a bit of space.

Unplug the two connectors per light.

I put the screws back in place so I didn't lose them, and refitted the indicators so I could still use the car if I wanted (and not accidentally stand on them).

Step 2.
Take the lights apart
When I was searching for a thread on how to do this I found one on Rennlist where the person had sprayed the inside of the unit silver, which was exactly what I wanted to do. However the masked off the fog lamp itself and spray painted it in situ. I couldn't see the point in this as taking the unit apart does not take much longer than masking it off properly.

One Hex bolt to undo, then the fitment can be forced out from the two rubber retainers.

25uiltw.jpg

1xzdzr.jpg

Step 3.
Separating lens from unit
There is a rumour the glass can easily be separated from the plastic body by sticking it in the oven for 10 minutes or so at 110º. All I can say is it didn't work for me. Trying to loosen the glue with a knife and pulling away at it soon got old.

2aah8ip.jpg

A new, more sophisticated method was clearly called for here. Take a screw driver and smash the glass. This was really satisfying for me after spending ages trying to get the oven method to work, my fingers getting burnt etc.

29vxhcg.jpg

28kqydx.jpg

Once the easy pieces are out, the remainder can be wiggled and pulled out from the insanely strong glue. Good idea to wear gloves for this, and protctive goggles for the smashing the glass bit and this. I wore neither and got away reasonably lightly with a cut thumb. I did get hit in the face once by a glass splinter too.

Be careful with the plastic gutter as it is delicate. It will break in places but try not to lose all of it as it is useful for positioning the new glass and keeping it sealed.

33dee6w.jpg

Step 4.
Clean out the old glue
A small flat head screwdriver is prefect for this. Get out as much as you can. It is not essential to get every little bit out. I went at it until I became bored. Maybe 15 minutes (and 10 for the second one).

2a5mxhv.jpg

5005lj.jpg

Step 5.
Spraying (optional)
The plastic behind the lenses is a bit nasty. It is a dirty white/cream/grey that seems to discolour with age and heat. Spraying them will improve them, and I am guessing for any car silver is probably the best option given it will reflect light. If it was a white car I'd do white instead, if it was a dark blue car I'd maybe think about what colour as the car colour may look best in daylight but compromise the performance of the lights in the dark? Not sure it matters much as they are only side lights on the painted side.

A can of spray paint is probably fine but being daft I had Martin at MS Coachworks in Welling do mine as the colour would then be an exact match to the car. I had some bits on the car getting done too so I timed this job to coincide. Results not to be sniffed at!

2db401w.jpg

m7qp7l.jpg

Step 6.
Reassemble
Put the fog lamp unit back in place, reverse of how it came apart. Now is a good time to swap out the side light bulbs for LEDs if you've not already done so.

b3rmh5.jpg

Then use some sort of clear sealant or glue to stick the glass to the plastic casing. I used oven sealant adhesive as I am guessing the fog lights get hot when on? No one uses a 993 in winter anyway these days so perhaps overkill. :grin:

EDIT: DON'T USE THE SAME SEALANT I DID. IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED. SEE POST BELOW.

s0y7bs.jpg

Run the sealant inside the plastic channel. You don't need to get loads in as the glass will force it either side.

34r9ibl.jpg

11uan1j.jpg

35kq176.jpg

When you push the glass back in, go around the edge and make sure anywhere the plastic edge is broken from removing the old glass is fully covered so you do not get condensation later.

10gzrph.jpg

Wipe off any excess glue/sealant.

2vkltn7.jpg

2nlehef.jpg

Step 7.
Refit to car
Reverse order of step 1. I'm very pleased with the results, and hopeful if I should have to replace the glass again the sealant will be much easier to remove than whatever Porsche used. Not sure why these image are on their side – you'll get the idea of how they look, if not turn your device or tilt your head.

2qtibnn.jpg

adhmck.jpg

sew02g.jpg

:)

That's a really useful post, thanks! Wish I'd known that before I bought new units a while back (now sat on garage shelf, as I replaced them with ducted versions!). Doh!

Interesting idea to paint the back colour matched to car instead of silver :goodjob:

Even better if they are sitting on the shelf. Nice little bored Sunday project Tobesetc :)

Good find on the supplier decgraham :thumb:

Edited the post as the sealant that I used is far from adhesive. Checked them a couple of hours ago and one did not feel secure to the touch and I'm about to drive to Wales so popped them out, cleaned out the sealant, put some super glue in, glass back in, sealant around the edges, then some electrical tape all the way around just to be sure. :thumbs:

nice post this, i guess the tricky part is getting rid of the old silicone or sealant, I would of gone this route but my old units have a few broken plastic bits on the back so i went for full units.

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back