Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A day in the life of a poor Porsche Mechanic

deMort

Monaco
Soo

First job a 1972 911 .. fire under the dash ..

Light switch had burnt out .. i suspect the windings for the dimmer (dash lights ) had over heated .. switch was pretty burnt but wiring ok .

Fitted new switch , the only one available .. didnt work properly ..

Nothing new here with older cars , its been modified so now im left with trying to figure out how to get the lights to work properly with it .

Diagrams .. head scratching .. disconnected the dip beam wire to find it was back feeding .. long story short it now works ok .

Next was a 986 with the roof fabric closeing the wrong side of the roof .. the .. well there are plastic guides that locate it , these were broken one side and pulled out the other .. so much easier on a 987 .. then its just a case of sowing in new elastic .. this was a new job for me but about 2 hours later new plastic guides fitted and roof shuts fine .

next .. 997 turbo cab .. water leak , rear control unit flooded .. fitted and coded new CU .. roof still didnt work .. Doh !

Rear CU on these have to be coded one bit at at a time or it forgets and defaults back to nothing .. sat there and coded each option one at a time .

Calibrated roof .. checked everything along with clearing some 50 fault codes and all ok.

Removed center consol . handbrake and gear lever to remove wet carpet .. its now hanging up to dry .

next its onto help a collegue with an eml fault .. if you top up the oil then please refit the oil cap properly .. its not an obvious fault to us so a bit of looking at values on a tester to figure out whats going on before we realised :D

Help a collegue bleed brakes on a jeep of all things .. customers have not just porsches and like us to cater for them as well .. versatile aint we !

Back onto the coolant pipe job .. in another thread on here .. nothing comes undone on this car ,, geting tired of bolts snapping and having to drill them out .. crank angle sensor . all i wanted to do was make sure it can be removed with the engine in for the future .. bolt snapped .. sensor was seized solid .. cut .. hammered .. drilled and still had to remove the torque convertor/ gearbox to get the bits out .. sometimes i hate my job !

Tryed to do the front cross over pipes .. front diff bolts seized .. cant undo so trying to drop subframe with diff .. not much access this way .. gave up and went home .. a job for tomorrow :D

Then i came here .. :floor:

I kin hate seized bolts, how come when you have four to remove the first three you go at are fine, it' s always the last one that gives you grief :?

Frenchmeister said:
I kin hate seized bolts, how come when you have four to remove the first three you go at are fine, it' s always the last one that gives you grief :?

You should always undo the seized one first, I thought everyone knew that :D :coat:

Cheers Kris, next time around I will start with the one I was going to take out last and work back should be a doddle, you learn something every day !

Oh and pigs fly :grin:

Frenchmeister said:
Cheers Kris, next time around I will start with the one I was going to take out last and work back should be a doddle, you learn something every day !

Oh and pigs fly :grin:

Better still when you get a siezed/snapped bolt, take the car to my local garage who have no concept of time and money, they spent best part of a day drilling out my Boxster manifold to backbox bolts, including buying carbide drills, and charged me £65 :grin:

You're a lucky man Iain! What a great day, some members on here would pay to do that..........

.........and then after such a rewarding day, you get to come home, have a fag and a drink whilst supper's made and help folk out on here.

You're nothing more than a legend living a legendary life!!!!! :thumbs: :worship: :thumbs:

Now how's our 911uk fund raiser doing for buying this guy the car of his choice?

AND I'M SERIOUS ABOUT THIS! WHY DON'T WE ALL CLUB TOGETHER AND BUY THIS MAN HIS VEHICLE OF TRANSPORT?

I'm deffo in, whether it's a bike, car, van, motor home - the choice is yours mate :thumbs:

alex yates said:
You're a lucky man Iain! What a great day, some members on here would pay to do that..........

.........and then after such a rewarding day, you get to come home, have a fag and a drink whilst supper's made and help folk out on here.

You're nothing more than a legend living a legendary life!!!!! :thumbs: :worship: :thumbs:

Now how's our 911uk fund raiser doing for buying this guy the car of his choice?

AND I'M SERIOUS ABOUT THIS! WHY DON'T WE ALL CLUB TOGETHER AND BUY THIS MAN HIS VEHICLE OF TRANSPORT?

I'm deffo in, whether it's a bike, car, van, motor home - the choice is yours mate :thumbs:

I believe a 981 Boxster S would be Iains weapon of choice, I would throw a few quid in the pot for sure :thumb:

I'll deffo do a 3 figure sum (not including pence).

Iain , your a star mate truly , My day consisted of coffee and a bacon butty sitting outside the cafe at Sandbanks watching the world go by ...... in Porsches, Fezza, Bentley 4x4s ,lambos etc inc several Wags in range rovers lol. Next time you scrape those knuckles on a broken or siezed bolt, down tools get on the trusty steed and head to Sandbanks where I will gladly buy you a bacon butty and a cold beer and we can have a chat and sort out the worlds problems mate while deciding which premiership football players wife has the nicest bum . :floor: :floor: :floor:

deMort said:
Tryed to do the front cross over pipes .. front diff bolts seized .. cant undo so trying to drop subframe with diff .. not much access this way .. gave up and went home .. a job for tomorrow :D

I have only ever needed to remove bolts from my front subframe twice, the first time that many bolts snapped it was easier to buy another subframe and refit, the second time was the other week when removing the fuel tank and luckily only two snapped so was able to do thread repair's this time. I do think every bolt has now been Copper Greased on the front so I should never have the same issue again...hopefully?

I managed to pull the front diff and drop the the front subframe on on my 198k C4 with no trouble. I appreciate that that doesn't help you. They aren't all difficult.
MC

HSC911 said:
Phil 997 said:
while deciding which premiership football players wife has the nicest bum . :floor: :floor: :floor:

:useless:

Indeed, that and a list of proposals.

Or we could just have a 'rear of the year' thread (is that even legal?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back